Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2019, 11:55   #16
neris

[QUOTE=Sigma Force;111381931]If giving up alcohol just to give yourself a break from it there's lots of options. Some are very sweet though.
/QUOTE]

Im taking a break for a few weeks at least to loose weight and just cut back a bit on the amount I drink. Im involved in something until mid October at weekends that has given me a time to set myself to cut the booze out but there is a side to this event that centres around the club bar after and I cant avoid it. I did try soft drinks & soft drinks mixed together the 1st week and was bit much after the 3rd or 4th. Have had the 0% beers last 2 weekends and theyve done the job both taste wise but also psychologically. They did get the Heineken 0 on draught for this weekend and was nice. Its something I could get to use to
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-09-2019, 12:31   #17
Bassfish

Doing Sober October this year so I'll definitely be getting a few of the NA Pale Ales from Lidl in for the weekends!
30-09-2019, 15:21   #18
Pete Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfish
Doing Sober October this year so I'll definitely be getting a few of the NA Pale Ales from Lidl in for the weekends!

Probably the tastiest NA out there in my opinion, and only €1 per bottle. Can't go wrong if you're after a decent NA.
Thanks from:
30-09-2019, 15:25   #19
Bassfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Moss View Post
Probably the tastiest NA out there in my opinion, and only €1 per bottle. Can't go wrong if you're after a decent NA.
Definitely the nicest one I've tried. Also goes well with a curry! It's funny how you can be satisfied by the feeling of 'having a few beers' even without the intoxicating effects as long as it tastes nice. Not sure I could drink six pints of it mind
Thanks from:
30-09-2019, 17:02   #20
Pete Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfish
Definitely the nicest one I've tried. Also goes well with a curry! It's funny how you can be satisfied by the feeling of 'having a few beers' even without the intoxicating effects as long as it tastes nice. Not sure I could drink six pints of it mind

True, 3 or 4 of them is just nice and can help nip the urge for something stronger in the bud
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 20:47   #21
cjmc

I'm just after being in tesco.
20 btl Heineken €15
12 btl Heineken 0% €17
I know for some price is irrelevant but seriously how can that be justified ?
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2019, 23:11   #22
Bassfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmc View Post
I'm just after being in tesco.
20 btl Heineken €15
12 btl Heineken 0% €17
I know for some price is irrelevant but seriously how can that be justified ?
How they can justify it in pubs is beyond me given the Vat is less than the alcoholic versions. Had the alcohol free bulmers in a pub the other night which cost €5 and I wound up thinking I should have just got a cidona!
Thanks from:
19-10-2019, 17:10   #23
cjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfish View Post
Was in lidl today look fr that. I didn't see any NA beers
19-10-2019, 19:07   #24
Bassfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmc View Post
Was in lidl today look fr that. I didn't see any NA beers
They're usually with the other craft beers. Brown 330ml bottles with a blue label.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2019, 13:18   #25
GrayFox7

Doing sober October as well because my liver should be prepared for a local booze fest in November.
22-10-2019, 13:33   #26
Simmer down

Personally I stick to a bottle of sparkling water, then free pints of tap water. I gave up the drink to be healthier and to have alot more money in my pocket (I couldn't justify paying over a fiver for a pint of pissy beer). I find all this NA stuff just gives me a goo for a proper drink so I don't ever bother with them. I can see their place though, but not for me. The price point is all wrong on most of them as well. Should be much cheaper.
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 04:17   #27
Breezer

Where in Dublin are people getting the Heineken Zero on tap? I wouldn’t mind trying that.
25-10-2019, 08:40   #28
BKWDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
Where in Dublin are people getting the Heineken Zero on tap? I wouldn’t mind trying that.
In Swords it's in Hogs and Heifers and the Old Schoolhouse.

You can message them on twitter and they can send you a list of locations in your area.

Quite a shock drinking a pint not having drank one in so long. Kept it to one all the same
Thanks from:
27-10-2019, 22:39   #29
Sigma Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmer down View Post
Personally I stick to a bottle of sparkling water, then free pints of tap water. I gave up the drink to be healthier and to have alot more money in my pocket (I couldn't justify paying over a fiver for a pint of pissy beer). I find all this NA stuff just gives me a goo for a proper drink so I don't ever bother with them. I can see their place though, but not for me. The price point is all wrong on most of them as well. Should be much cheaper.
If someone is just cutting back for health reasons or something then grand but if someone has a serious addiction then the AF beers and being in a pub environment is a recipe for disaster. Just my opinion. Not saying a recovering alcoholic can't go to a pub but sitting with the same bunch of people and drinking AF free beer just makes it harder I think. We only go to a pub for a lunch and sit in the lounge, most restaurants these days are just glorified pubs anyway,
05-11-2019, 14:09   #30
MoMo2020

Most pubs serve tea and coffee but that might be unusual choice in. I'd recommend ginger ale with lime or tonic water and lime for a healthier option.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion