Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest in attic

Options
  • 21-10-2019 1:11pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭

Was getting the gutters cleaned this morning, guy told me there's wasps getting in by a gap at the overflow pipe. Am I right in thinking, if I fill the gap, they won't be able to get food back to the nest and just die off? Or have I got a bigger problem on my hands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

beertons wrote: »
    Was getting the gutters cleaned this morning, guy told me there's wasps getting in by a gap at the overflow pipe. Am I right in thinking, if I fill the gap, they won't be able to get food back to the nest and just die off? Or have I got a bigger problem on my hands?

They'll be gone in a month anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I don't think so, though it might prevent them using the same spot again.

The standard method of extermination is to spray the nest with permethrin.

It is important to do it after dark so most of the wasps are in the nest. We had ours done and it was duri g the day and the level of wasp activity spiked badly for a couple of weeks before dropping right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they won't reuse the same nest next year. Wait for them to leave and then seal the hole. Alternatively put the powdered wasp poison around the hole and they'll bring it into the nest themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The standard method of extermination is to spray the nest with permethrin.

It is important to do it after dark so most of the wasps are in the nest. We had ours done and it was duri g the day and the level of wasp activity spiked badly for a couple of weeks before dropping right down.

One point on the permethrin is that afaik it needs to be fresh and not from a tube thats been sat in the shed for years.

We used to get masses of wasp nests at one place I worked because of the old red tiled roof. I normally dealt with them but one time we had so many my boss said to get an expert out. Anyway long story short expert was convinced that to get a good kill you had to have fresh permethrin and that he wouldn't even carry stock over from the previous year as it wasn't as effective. That time btw we had 14 wasp nests - it was a big old house with a massive roof.

Advertisement