Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space saving ideas for duel fuel system?

Options
  • 20-02-2019 7:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I am installing a heating system in an old cottage where're space is limited. A back boiler stove is going in and also some kind of oil backup. I was looking at combi boilers but as I have a solid fuel stove I presume I will still require a hot water cylinder etc. Is there any solution for space saving and having a duel fuel system?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Your oil boiler can go outside and its installation will not take up any space inside.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As above, I have a small bungalow, bought an external oil boiler and works perfect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

thanks lads for the quick replies.
    That was the idea but I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding the hot water cylinder? Is there some way around this? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

buky wrote: »
    thanks lads for the quick replies.
    That was the idea but I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding the hot water cylinder? Is there some way around this? Cheers

You mean the immersion tank?

You can buy little ones, I seen them installed in apartment/flats before.....only hold a small bit of water

If you are putting the boiler internal you could go with combi boiler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

Thanks lads,

2 questions:
    Can a combi boiler work with a solid fuel stove? Without immersion tank?
    Does a combination boiler have to be inside?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

buky wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I am installing a heating system in an old cottage where're space is limited. A back boiler stove is going in and also some kind of oil backup. I was looking at combi boilers but as I have a solid fuel stove I presume I will still require a hot water cylinder etc. Is there any solution for space saving and having a duel fuel system?

Thanks in advance
    If you are installing a back boiler you will need a copper cylinder and a water storage tank in the attic (open vented system) After all, the water when heated has to be stored somewhere !! and you may want at times to have a fire in stove without heating rads.
    A good plumber will be able to integrate the oil fired central heating with your back boiler...or if you wish you can use the stove's back boiler to heat domestic water only.
    The standard copper cylinder will not take up much space, but has to be higher than the stove's back boiler and lower than the water storage tank in the attic.......all to do with the laws of gravity !

Advertisement