Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2020, 15:02   #1
Feisar

Are we a bit to hard on ourselves as a country?

Are we a bit hard on ourselves as a nation I wonder? 150 years ago we were dying in the ditches, we're not doing that bad in fairness. The rest of our European brethren were colonial powers while we were in pretty bad shape! Look at eastern Europe that many would see as being second tier in some regards, the old money is clear to be seen.
In terms of infrastructure for example around the same time we were without a spud the London Underground started.

Please don't see this as Brit bashing in terms of why we were where we were. For whatever reason we were in the gutter and have come a long way in my estimation.

Any thoughts?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 15:05   #2
Cee-Jay-Cee

I think we’ve come a very long way but gone too far in the other direction now. I see us as a very greedy nation and that can be seen in house prices, rental prices, the cost of construction is quadruple what it is in many other European countries and there seems to be no stopping it.
17-02-2020, 15:09   #3
Thelonious Monk

Well somehow we managed to get things done in the past. I was looking at the route of the Royal Canal which goes all the way from Central Dublin to Longford, such a huge project at the time and we don't seem to be able to do anything here now except build motorways. Even the Georgian parts of Dublin and many of the older areas are all so well done, and we haven't done so well since. I wish the Brits had stayed around a bit longer to get a few more things done tbh, a nice metro and more trams.
But yes, we are doing ok now, we are lucky in that we speak English and are white and have ties with many of the richer countries in the world, all that goes in our favour.
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2020, 15:33   #4
Rothko

There's definitely far too much self-loathing about our country, especially on Boards.
17-02-2020, 15:42   #5
Fritzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
...I wish the Brits had stayed around a bit longer to get a few more things done tbh, a nice metro and more trams...
I know of only 3 cities in the UK that have Metro systems. Nearly all cities (except Blackpool) in the UK shut down their old tram systems in the 1940s and fifties - it wasn't just Dublin.
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 15:52   #6
topper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Well somehow we managed to get things done in the past. I was looking at the route of the Royal Canal which goes all the way from Central Dublin to Longford, such a huge project at the time and we don't seem to be able to do anything here now except build motorways.
I suppose we have to be mindful that there were a few large landholders to win over back then rather than lots of small ones for the Georgian canal projects.
Labour was piss cheap back. Loads of starving bucks around with no welfare entitlements who will cart blocks for you all day for a penny to feed the childer. Albeit material movement wasn't mechanised like it was for the motorways.

Yes we have come a long way. But such are small countries. The needle swings far in both directions. The potato blight hit everywhere else too. I didn't stop at the Irish sea. Just the magnitude of devastation bigger here. Same principle with the upswings.
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 23:23   #7
Rufeo

We're not nearly hard enough.
(2) thanks from:
18-02-2020, 00:47   #8
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufeo View Post
We're not nearly hard enough.
Disagreed very much. Major inferiority complex going on here. The Irish were looked down upon for a long time, and I think that has been internalised to an extent.
18-02-2020, 00:50   #9
CQD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteuse View Post
Disagreed very much. Major inferiority complex going on here. The Irish were looked down upon for a long time, and I think that has been internalised to an extent.
I was talking to a guy a couple of weeks ago, who had spent 10 or so years living in the north of England, and he said there's a kind of heaviness about people in Ireland that just isn't there in the English..
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 00:57   #10
Thethunder

What sort of a question is that? Like what does it even mean.
18-02-2020, 00:59   #11
pgj2015

Quote:

i agree 100%. look at the way a lot of Irish people will only watch the uk versions of the apprentice, dragons den,gogglebox, british tv in general and run down the Irish versions.

"its a bit Irish" is something Irish people say to describe something that isnt done in the right way.
(2) thanks from:
18-02-2020, 01:20   #12
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post

"its a bit Irish" is something Irish people say to describe something that isnt done in the right way.
And they’re 100% right.We have brains to burn in this country and are as obstinate as a nation as we want to be - but apart from Free the Guilford Four and Water Tax protests and the organised farmers we take any owl shyte thrown at us and accept it,. We have never marched en masse as a nation against he corruption, the lying, utter waste or myriad of scandals including crime, our revolving criminal justice farce, endless assylum applications, handout society of lifelong wasters, the ateady crucifixation of the middle class, paying 2 weeks out of every four in tax, abysmal transport and 3 1/2 hour commutes to 1950 style boxes, sewage fliwing into the sea, trees and habitats casually felled in our cities and no proper planning for habitats/lifestyles/happiness etc. We have one of the most educated workforces in the planet yet we allow gombeenism and cronyism to be the order of the day, every day and every year. We are not hard enough on ourselves at all. It is harrowing what an absolute waste this once proud nation has become . We are a pitiful crawling servile disgrace of nation. God forbid they ever take away our pubs or pints or tellies - the mess of what is left would be crippling.

Last edited by JustAThought; 18-02-2020 at 11:35.
18-02-2020, 01:38   #13
AllForIt

I think the biggest problem is that we are associating ourselves too much with the UK and US world/economies, and as a result we owe reparations to the wider globe. Just because we have a few high-tech companies residing here. Yes they have transformed our country - but, we are not living in a economic utopia, are we.

I think that with all the good things that have happened socially over the last 10 years, we need to calm down and try to be ourselves now. I feel we are in danger of loosing our national identity by associating ourselves with other western countries. A pawn of them in fact.

I don't think this small state of what 4 million, should be forced to act as we are the big white capitalist aggressors of the world. We haven't invaded a single country historically, we haven't raped the resources of other nations, we are probably the least racist country of the white western countries, and yet, we are made to feel as if the opposite is the case. So yes I agree with you OP, we are way too hard on ourselves.

Last edited by AllForIt; 18-02-2020 at 01:43.
18-02-2020, 03:14   #14
Raconteuse

Quote:
Major inferiority complex going on here. The Irish were looked down upon for a long time, and I think that has been internalised to an extent.
E.g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
And they’re 100% right.We have brains to burn in this country and are as obstinate as a nation as we want to be - but apart from Free the Guilford Four and Water Tax protests and the organised farmers we take any owl shyte thrown at us and accept it,. We have never marched en masse as a nation against he corruption, the lying, utter waste or myriad of scandals including crime, our revolving criminal justice farce, endless assylum applications, handout society of lifelong wasters, the ateady crucifixation of the middle class, paying 2 weeks out of every four in tax, abysmal transport and 3 1/2 hour commutes to 1950 style boxes, sewage fliwing into the sea, trees and habitats casually felled in our cities and no proper planning for habitats/lifestyles/happiness etc. We have one of the most educated workforces in the planet yet we allow gombeenism and cronyism to be the order of the day, every day and every year. We are not hard enough on ourselves at all. It is harrowing what an absolute waste this once proud nation has become . We are a pitiful crawling servile disgrace of nation. God forbid they ever take away our pubs or punts or tellies - the mess of what is left would be crippling.
18-02-2020, 04:13   #15
Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I just wish we could be a bit more proactive as a country sometimes. More big picture thinking, and better planning for the future.

I think it's a good country overall, and not a bad place to live in general... but we always seem to be reactive to things. What I mean by this, is that we seem to stumble into problems and not take them seriously enough... and then we are playing catch up all the time!

Some of the social issues that are effecting our country, could and should have been better forecasted and prepared for. But I do think we have a lot of people that care about each other in this country, and there is motivation to do the right things when we do identify problems!

Perhaps it's a slight flaw in our nature or something? We are a laid-back easy going type of people, and generally we seem to prefer to focus mostly on the present.

Also, I wish people would moan less about the weather... it's really not that bad. We are actually very lucky to have no extreme dangerous weather. Rather than complaining about it, we should actually promote our mild climate as one of the best features of this country to tourists. "Come to Ireland... you won't die in a tornado/earthquake/hurricane/tsunami/landslide/heat wave/drought/snowstorm/wildfire/cyclone/"...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion