Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False positives on AVG - common?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was just using screenr, got a bunch of warnings using it because I let it use my java, even though I know it's a reasonably reputable source. No downloads involved anyway so I used it (it's crap btw, don't bother.)

Just in case, I ran a full scan on AVG. It picked up 1 high risk infected app, just described as hidden, part of the operating system, absolutely no other details. Detected by anti-rootkit.

I restarted, and ran another full scan, and got nothing detected, so I'm guessing AVG was detecting itself or something like that. Anybody else encountered something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

avg has had problems before with FPs and removing something that caused machines to become unbootable. All anti-viruses have this problem though.

generally you shouldn't remove/fix anything unless you know what exactly it is

Advertisement