Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Photo Ireland Festival 2010

Options
  • 10-12-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Dear Anouilh, kensutz, democrates, elven, ThOnda, artyeva, Covey, sheesh, Fenster, and all in Boards.ie who love Photography, the Arts and Culture in general:

Thank you for your interest in PhotoIreland.

As you have noticed, currently our web site explains our intentions quite openly. We are still at a stage where decision makers in institutions such as the Arts Council, Culture Ireland, IMMA, etc. are our target audience. Soon, there will be an enhanced site, with more general information about submissions, competitions, workshops, etc. that I am sure we will all enjoy.

We would like to highlight that we are very open, friendly, and welcome anyone that makes an effort and contact us. In fact, part of the process of setting up this great event for Ireland involved conversations with a large number of key people involved in photography, the arts, festivals, cultural organisations, galleries, museums, etc. And so it has been for the last 12 months.

We also thought that opening this thread would help our open discussion.

We are currently working extremely hard to establish this, the first International Photographic Festival in Ireland. And I am sure you are as excited as we are to be able to enjoy and celebrate the art of Photography.

We are very proud to have some of the most important cultural institutions on board at this time. It is true that this, the first year of this event in Ireland will be based in Dublin. But the reasons are none other than the lack of time and resources in year one. However, the aspirations of the Festival go much further than this. We are already in discussions with many institutions outside Dublin and have a comprehensive long-term plan for this project.

The Festival is going to be realised through hard work, dedication and the pursuit of a dream to have a permanent International Photography Festival in Ireland. As this is a new idea and this is the first of it's kind in Ireland, you can be sure the constraints and obstacles have been wide ranging.

So if any of you consider that you can help us to achieve this dream, we will be always open to you.

We have been receiving correspondence of all kinds; some people understand very quickly the extent and importance of such an event, some others rejoice in an unhelpful begrudgery, and others concentrate in asking whether they can show their own work. We endeavour to answer all of them personally as swiftly as possible, with the same love and constructive passion that drives me to bring forward this idea.

Do not think that you will be the first or the last to compliment or criticise this idea, the festival or even the web site: We have been listening for the last year carefully, and have heard great critical questions like 'Why another festival?' (In an international arena), or 'Why in Ireland?', 'Why in Dublin?'. And also have been told some preposterous reasons not to celebrate it in Ireland at all, like 'the weather is horrible', 'there is no audience for such event', etc.

Answering these questions has made our concept stronger. Mind you, the most helpful questions we received were often accompanied by a helpful answer. We need your criticism; it is part of the process. We would ask you to be constructive, informative, positive and passionate, if you share our vision and love for Photography.

We are aware of the large amount of ‘photographers, active photographic clubs, professional companies and single enthusiasts’ in Ireland. We see evidence of their work everyday thanks to sites like Pix.ie, Boards.ie, and through the different professional and amateur photographic organizations. We have seen how exhibitions like that of David LaChapelle attracted around 10,000 people even do it was held in an alternative location. We also appreciate IMMA’s constant effort to promote Photography, lately with 'Picturing New York: Photographs from The Museum of Modern Art IMMA'. And of course, the great Gallery of Photography in Dublin, and many other great institutions not necessarily in Dublin, like The Sirius Arts Centre in Cobh.

We also have seen a growing interest in international cultural organizations exhibiting photography in Ireland, like:
    - 'MOLL 31' by Wiebke Loeper at the Goethe-Institut
    - [URL="tp://dublin.cervantes.es/FichasCultura/Ficha53368_16_2.htm"]Unknown Pacific 1862-1866[/URL], Closing the 12th Dec. Instituto Cervantes ht
    - ‘EXHALE’ by Mandy O’Neill, at the Alliance Francaise

We are heartened to know that photographers in Ireland are very active and have a growing number of ways to enjoy photography, distribute and exhibit their own work.

The festival comes to celebrate you all.

How can you help right now?
    - Become a fan in Facebook http://www.facebook.com/PhotoIrelandFestival
    - Follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/PhotoIreland)
    - Spread the word
    - Join The National Campaign For The Arts http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-National-Campaign-For-The-Arts/135604445372
    - Promote Photography related events locally
    - Find out about other Photography festivals
    - Keep an eye for news: subscribe to our newsletter in http://www.photoireland.org/2009/

Do you have any photographic projects you want to put forward? Please, submit them to info@photoireland.org

If you would like any more information, or have any proposals that can help to support this development and our hard work, you are very welcome to contact us at info@photoireland.org

Kind Regards,

Angel Luis Gonzalez
    Festival Director

PHOTOIRELAND FESTIVAL
    PhotoIreland will start in July 2010 and it will be Ireland's first International Festival of Photography.

64 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland.
    info@photoireland.org | http://www.photoireland.org | +353876856169

Follow us
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/PhotoIreland
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PhotoIrelandFestival

The thread was started in response to this one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055760758
    [Kind thanks to Darragh Doyle for assisting me on how to better use Boards.ie]

Should we celebrate an International Photographic Festival in Ireland? 62 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    98%
    Cr8ornilhgTrev MjoolsveerBorderfoxrameireHugh_CshepthedogFensterjames12343-D PreacherRbirish147kjtswingkingtrishw78democratesFajitas!StraddleFor6icedcoffee 61 votes
    Abstain
    1%
    charybdis 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have no criticism to offer and was very pleased to find that an International Festival of Photography is planned in Ireland for 2010.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63430367&postcount=341

Here's wishing everybody involved every success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Many thanks for coming on and giving more detail. I wish you all the success such an undertaking fully deserves.

I think the poll is somewhat irrelevant as you've already answered that question yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

No
    There was some criticism previously as to the Dublin centric nature of what information is currently available. I believe that it may have not been the intention but accept that this may have been picked up by people. I also accept that the greater Dublin area will have a greater population base to pull from hence there may be more related activity (either formal or informal) in the Dublin area.

Is it intended to be a true all Ireland celebration and open to or have events organised across the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I can email this if you like, but I think if you answer the question publicly it will be of use to others in the future, so I'm going to post it here first.

When it says:
    We are interested in the work of Photographers who are involved in personal projects that engage with social issues, universal or local, whether in Ireland or abroad.

What do you mean by 'engage with social issues'? Do the projects have to be based on The Demise of the Celtic Tiger, for example? Are you saying here that projects have to be about social issues in particular?

I do understand that if you are encouraging people to submit personal projects, that they be of substance rather than a random collection of images taken for no apparent reason other than to play with your nice new lens - but are you explicitly requesting that particular theme?

Could I also possibly suggest for the people who are up in arms about the geographic location of the events that if they would like to see something more local, that they contact a local gallery/college/other group/arts leader, or submit an idea themselves? Maybe that's what it needs, as covey has pointed out - rather than sitting complaining, submit alternatives, show how you think it could be better, do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PhotoIreland

No
    Thanks Anouilh, I saw your point very clearly, and I thank you to initiate the discussion that has made this possible.

Thanks Covey, Im sure we will all enjoy the festival and perhaps meet in person.

Indeed, AnCatDubh, the aim is to celebrate it in the whole of Ireland, including Northern Ireland. This island is a small community, we must share and help each other as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks Covey, Im sure we will all enjoy the festival and perhaps meet in person.

I'm available for a pint anytime, during which I could tell you exactly where you are going wrong. ;):p:)

No
    Elven, you can submit any projects under any theme you consider appropriate. We will always be interested in looking for new interesting work. Our suggestion is that we would like to see and we have a special interest in those that concern social issues. I wouldn't suggest it is a theme, rather an approach.

Have a look at the work shown in other festivals for inspiration.

You make a great point about helping by contacting local galleries, etc. That would be a fantastic way to go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

No
    first, sincere thanks for taking the time to come on here.

i had made my comments about the event seeming ''dublin centric'' solely based on what i read on your site. it's a pity that the site is worded as it is as i can see from your post here that photoireland aims to be more inclusive and ''all ireland'' if you will, than your site would have us believe.

sometimes it's the case that an idea aimed at artists, curators and art institutions and written by artists/curators/art institutions is worded so vague as to render the actual message or invitation or whatever impenetrable. i don't see this as ''complaining'' i think that's it's a very valid point. one which you have elayed by coming on here and talking to us in greater detail, and which i again thank you for!!

i don't think anyone here was ''up in arms'' though :confused:

in any case, i will be submitting an idea for a project based outside dublin, by and for people outside dublin, in a venue outside dublin. ;)

No
    Artyeva, that sounds great. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No
    Just from my own lack of willingness to click on links (it's just that there's always so many words that you're expected to read when you do click) I am left with a couple of questions from reading this thread and Anouilh's one.
    It's a great idea, very exciting and appears to have a big swig of earnestness which is always a relief...nothing worse than half baked bar renaissance which generally ends up being as productive as a warm fart competition.
    Going back to one point of the submitting projects: are you considering the idea the photographer has for a project or the final product with photos...as in is it the talk of projects or is it the results of doing a project? Words on or pictures of?

• Advertisement

No
    Why choose when both can be great at once?

No
    Why choose when both can be great at once?

Oh I think I might've picked it up the wrong way. It's just that parts of it read to me as though it's about listening about peoples ideas re a photo project as opposed to submitting a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

No
    elven wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'engage with social issues'? Do the projects have to be based on The Demise of the Celtic Tiger, for example?

Where are you seeing that quote Elven - can;t find it on their web page

I think you could interpret that (social issues) in a much broader context though - doesn't necessarily have to be doom and gloom ... People still dance, die, eat cheese, walk mountains, marry, party, sculpt, create and procreate for example :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

No
    Thanks for engaging Angel, it seems that a lot more has been going on behind the scenes than I thought.

Until the venue is sorted you're off the radar for all of the event sites including tourism, I know there's a lot to sort out from availability to insurance but it's critical so that you have time to advertise the event and have translations etc done.

If you have a star attraction this will help get buy in for everything else.
    Canon might make a good commercial sponsor they're in Sandyford.

The new site home page should attract festival visitors, they want to know :
    • WHAT they can see - any rare work, prominent exhibitors, a daguerrotype etc
    • WHEN it will be on - dates and times, highlighted on a calendar gif perhaps
    • WHERE it will be - google map, satnav co-ords, transport links
    • HOW much it will cost - if free this should be highlighted on all communications
    The key facts must be absorbed within seconds of visiting the home page, viewing a flier, or reading an event guide entry.

As an added attraction you could offer visitors the option of having their photo taken professionally with a few backdrop options. Lots of people on boards could set that up they just need a space.

I wish I had time to help but as things stand I don't, so good luck with this and remember - fortune favours the brave!

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that quote Elven - can;t find it on their web page

I think you could interpret that (social issues) in a much broader context though - doesn't necessarily have to be doom and gloom ... People still dance, die, eat cheese, walk mountains, marry, party, sculpt, create and procreate for example :)

It came from this page.

I only used the example of the celtic tiger thing because it's what i've been seeing pretty regularly. But you're right, maybe I'm not giving the topic the scope it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

artyeva wrote: »
    i had made my comments about the event seeming ''dublin centric'' solely based on what i read on your site. it's a pity that the site is worded as it is as i can see from your post here that photoireland aims to be more inclusive and ''all ireland'' if you will, than your site would have us believe.

+1 on this; the right-hand panel of the site says
    When: July 2010
    Where: Various locations in Dublin.

In order to raise interest right across the country (and to let them know that it's relevant to them) I'd suggest a quick edit of the site.

No
    "PhotoIreland will start in Dublin, but will grow nationwide."
    As it appears in the web site now.

Now, spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"PhotoIreland will start in Dublin, but will grow nationwide."
    As it appears in the web site now.

Now, spread the word.

The "Add to your Agenda" in the top right stands out more, though.

No
    Thanks Liam. We will take it into account for the brand new web site we are designing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Twitter could be used for networking. Also, since there are so many Irish people living abroad, their energy could be tapped as well. Holiday photos online might be linked to the Festival website?

There are many arts centres around Ireland that probably already have photographic archives. Theatre is particularly well documented.

This may be of use?

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/511/itemId/2824/pageId/7/New-visual-arts-centre-sure-to-put-Carlow-on-the-c.aspx

• Advertisement

have there been any developments in the plan for the festival? Are there any details of actual events you're planning yet?

No
    Loads of great news, as you know by our Twitter feed.
    A new site is coming with more info soon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not everyone uses Twitter (I know I don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

No

Some of us don't really buy into the whole twitter thing. Perhaps it'd be possible to post updates here too?

No
    Could already be alienating quite a portion of willing people by communicating via Twitter PI. I know I don't use it and don't know anyone in real life that does either.

For anyone who doesn't use twitter, they can still see the stream here:

http://twitter.com/PhotoIreland

But I don't see any news except that you had a meeting with Beth Edgell from the British Council, and that you have The Alliance Francaise, The Goethe Institute and The Cervantes Institute participating in the Festival. I was wondering if there were any actual events being planned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

No
    Hi I sent PhotoIreland a PM at the start of December but haven't received a reply yet.

Also ditto on the twitter thing, I'm sure loads of boardsies would love to get involved so more info from yourselves would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monosnaps

No
    Waited a long time to see something like this happen in Dublin hopefully spreading around the country in years to come. Really great news.

An idea I had while working with Peoples Photography that was never developed was to get local shops and business involved not in just in sponshorship but in giving over some window space as an exhibition area. This could bring the exhibition to the widest audience. I am thinking of something like a section of say Arnotts or Clearys window for a high profile exhibit but also small exhibits in small shop windows like say dry cleaners or charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

No
    On RTE Agenda programme - http://bit.ly/atEmYm

click on LATEST SHOW - scroll to 49:58

via @photoireland on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

No
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    On RTE Agenda programme
    Should that be TV3's Panel programme? :D

Advertisement