Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The british isles and Ireland.

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I say we go for the Isle of Man instead. It's smaller, so there'd be less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

We could always invade Scotland again. That'd show 'em. Plus we could swap it back for Northern Ireland later, though we might be better off just keeping western Scotland.
    I say we go for the Isle of Man instead. It's smaller, so there'd be less hassle.
    We can "Liberate" both of these from their vile, baby-eating, road/school/health funding English overlords*.
    But what will we call our new domain?
    United Republic of Scotland and Ireland ?
    The Gaelic League?
    The Irish Empire?

*yes all in jest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

humanji wrote:

Nah. Give it 800 odd years and the ungreatful bastards would be trying to learn their own language and holding out in the local post office and declaring themselves a republic. Unless we plant a huge population in one small corner, then we can split the island in two, give them back the majority and hang on to our little share until war breaks out there and we'll wonder why the **** we every bothered doing them the favour of invasion in the frist place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It drives me up the fuppin wall so it does those feckin tans still won't let us go. We got to call ourselves the republic and then the smug bastards turn around and say "ah but your still part of the british Isles paddy". Feck them!

We should be called the collective of completely unasociated land masses.

Or not, I don't care all that much, or do I? I'd be all for a name change but we might confuse the yanks and get the poop bombed out of us by mistake.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Unless we plant a huge population in one small corner, then we can split the island in two, give them back the majority and hang on to our little share until war breaks out there and we'll wonder why the **** we every bothered doing them the favour of invasion in the frist place.
    Good man, now we are thinking along the right lines. We have to make sure our fella's cause problems in 800 years time so lets make it a group that no-one really wants in Ireland anyway, but they have to be violent and easily excitable. How about those lads who roited in dublin last year? They would be perfect, they barely speak english properly (and will propably claim their own language of "Dubs" ), they break out celtic jearseys at a given notice and are generally subsidised by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 violatom

I'm quite indifferent to the term "The British Isles", much more sensible than "The Western European Isles" or "Those bits that fell off". Geologically, Scotland and most of ireland were well south of england and the south of ireland.
    But what does really get up my nose is people calling Ireland (ie the Republic) "Southern Ireland". Living in Scotland now, its something I hear a lot. I have been known to go on monumental rants about martyrs dying for a republic in 1916 etc etc, but more importantly about the fact I'm not from Kerry/Cork etc. (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oh, sweet Jesus not again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Are there any Malin heads here that got told they are from Southern Ireland? Thatd be funny.

• Advertisement

seems to be a lot of bumping going on tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Oh no. I thought this thread had been done to death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

thrill wrote:
    Oh no. I thought this thread had been done to death.

NEVAAAAAAAH!!!

if theres one thing we're great at as a nation its arguin over stupid points of semantice for centuries on end

NEVAAAAAAAH!!!

if theres one thing we're great at as a nation its arguin over stupid points of semantice for centuries on end

Ad infinitum, or forever whichever is the longest.

Have a break, have a wiki you can call 'em whatever you like, whether anyone will understand where you are talking about is another matter!

NEVAAAAAAAH!!!

KAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHNNNNNN

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

ScumLord wrote:
    It drives me up the fuppin wall so it does those feckin tans still won't let us go. We got to call ourselves the republic and then the smug bastards turn around and say "ah but your still part of the british Isles paddy". Feck them!

We should be called the collective of completely unasociated land masses.

Or not, I don't care all that much, or do I? I'd be all for a name change but we might confuse the yanks and get the poop bombed out of us by mistake.

Hard to tell the difference between Ireland and Britain now anyway, on a social and cultural level we have merged into a sort of Britland. We always complain about them and call them "tans", while at the same time we are becoming more and more like them. You visit your local pub or housing estate, only for the accents it would be hard to tell which country your in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the yellow number plates are a dead giveaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True, easy to think you are in Holland.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

We live in

The Premier Isles

The most important thing in most people's lives is English soccer games on Sky TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It's better then been called Britian. It makes it sound like a few countrys instead of just one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement