Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cavalier dog food

Options
  • 18-09-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

I’ve been feeding my 5 month old puppy, Royal Canin’s Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy blend. Some days she devours it and somedays she only picks at it and from looking online there’s mixed information on its nutritional value.

Is there any other suitable brand of dry food that she would find more palatable or enjoy more and would give her everything she needs to be in tip top shape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Brian017 wrote: »
    I’ve been feeding my 5 month old puppy, Royal Canin’s Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy blend. Some days she devours it and somedays she only picks at it and from looking online there’s mixed information on its nutritional value.

Is there any other suitable brand of dry food that she would find more palatable or enjoy more and would give her everything she needs to be in tip top shape?

Look up this website and out in the brand nd it will give you some results ..

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0755/acana-puppy-and-junior

your right RC is over priced with not great quality

I haven’t feed dried for years but Acana has good reviews ..

https://www.pet-bliss.ie/shop/dogs/dog-food-dog-treats/dog-food/acana-dog-food/?gclid=CjwKCAjwq4fsBRBnEiwANTahcDgvsi9HVBIFEEL-a3QhyLcPbFkl02wd5ScShtwhaaIhP3rQpwL39BoCz1cQAvD_BwE

There are a good few higher quality brands that other posters on here can advise you .. im out of the loop on it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please be aware that there is new evidence that grain free foods that are high in legumes (such as Acana) can be a cause of heart problems which CKCs are already prone to especially if the parents of your dog were not screened for heart issues.

I have recently moved from Acana to Barking Heads which i used to feed before and had no issues on. My sheltie had yeast infections on Acana, im not saying it was caused by the food but it has not reoccurred since changing back to BH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Please be aware that there is new evidence that grain free foods that are high in legumes (such as Acana) can be a cause of heart problems which CKCs are already prone to especially if the parents of your dog were not screened for heart issues.

I have recently moved from Acana to Barking Heads which i used to feed before and had no issues on. My sheltie had yeast infections on Acana, im not saying it was caused by the food but it has not reoccurred since changing back to BH.

I didn’t realise before I got her that dog food was such a minefield. There’s so many brands and varieties you don’t know what to give them. And when you find out the food you’ve been giving them isn’t that great, you start to worry! I naively assumed that since it was specially designed for and targeted at her breed that it would be the best thing for her for the moment at least

Do you think I should give her a try with the Barking Heads food? Which in their range would you recommend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I feed the green one which is lamb. The pink one (salmon) is supposed to be good for fussy dog. There's probably a bit more of a smell from it being fish that makes it more appetising for them. I did feed the salmon one years ago but dont remember if the dogs ate it any quicker or not. Whatever you decide to try get a small bag first and mix it gradually with the old food to make sure the dog doesnt get an upset stomach. New foods can be a bit of a shock to the system.

Advertisement