Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT exemption NI cars

Options
  • 17-09-2019 10:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi all/

I’ve read the original post on here.

I’m living in Dublin now since May 2019. I did have a job down here in 2018 for 4 months but I was travelling from the north.
    My car is a northern reg, private registration which I will miss dearly! But understand I have to get an Irish reg to comply with living here.

I’ve did the various VRT calculation checks online. I’ve always bought cars from England, and imported them home to Tyrone for £250.00 - great saving.
    I’m not on here to bitch about the amount of money ireland charges for me to bring my northern car down and re register , VRT , NCT bla bla whatever.

I found a document online on revenue - exemption from paying VRT on an imported vehicle - however I’ve refrained from filling this form out and taking a gamble. It says you must do this within 30 days of entering the state- which I’ve obviously now passed, I was going to chance it anyway, but figured that they’d just look up the M50 toll system and probably pick me up from there. Then I HAVE to pay full VRT, which is an unnecessary cost.

At the minute the way I look at it - (touch wood) I haven’t been bothered about it or stopped, so I’ll keep going in my MK6 2013 CW Golf until I’m stopped. Why should I fork up a small fortune when thousands of other northern cars drive around Dublin undetected ?

But I am also conscious that I’ve heard rumors about customs starting to follow northern cars to places of work etc and impounding the vehicle until a fine is paid.
    I have my own apartment down here now as a homeowner and Irish citizen from birth am I able for any exemption?

What is the cheapest way to get an English car into the south and just put a southern reg on it right away?

You couldn’t buy a car in Ireland. Ridiculous market. The north is expensive enough too compared with England.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement