Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much planning for initial meeting with architect?

Options
  • 18-08-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Myself and the better half are looking at a few different options around new builds and while looking at sites I got to wondering about just how much preparation people put into place before meeting an architect with a desired build in mind.

No one wants to waste their time by having multiple opinions conflicting over simple things like number of bedrooms etc so I presume there is SOME level of coordination before approaching architects to design a house, but with the availability of tools that allow people to design rough plans such as home.by.me and roomsketcher, do people come with plans for architects to modify to fit regulation etc?

Just wondering what the standard seems to be :)

Cheers!
    Red

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Myself and the better half are looking at a few different options around new builds and while looking at sites I got to wondering about just how much preparation people put into place before meeting an architect with a desired build in mind.

No one wants to waste their time by having multiple opinions conflicting over simple things like number of bedrooms etc so I presume there is SOME level of coordination before approaching architects to design a house, but with the availability of tools that allow people to design rough plans such as home.by.me and roomsketcher, do people come with plans for architects to modify to fit regulation etc?

Just wondering what the standard seems to be :)

Cheers!
    Red

Most architects will be using autocratic so they won’t be modifying anything that the client has prepared using the free tools.

They will also have to carry out their own site survey to satisfy themselves areas and topography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They say you get your third house build right. ;)

Basically, know what you want. Understanding that comes way before pen is put to paper. Have you a list of requirements?

Know who you are and what you like. What are your interests...

Are you the kind of people who love to cook, or prefer to eat out all the time and stick to sandwiches or deliveries at home.
    Do you enjoy gardening and want the house to fit into that, or is it a chore?
    Are you planning kids, dogs, cats, elderly family to live with you in the future?
    Would a room for sports equipment or a hobby be on the list.
    Any view you want to frame, or block?
    Privacy vs light. Where do you lie?

If you have all the practical items sorted, you’ll be in a good position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

kceire wrote: »
    Most architects will be using autocratic so they won’t be modifying anything that the client has prepared using the free tools.

They will also have to carry out their own site survey to satisfy themselves areas and topography.

Oh I didn't expect them to modify my plans, I'm just wondering if I should be at that level of planning, i.e. I want the rooms laid out like this, and the sizes about so much.

But if they are doing their own site survey, perhaps then it's best to go in with high level requirements :)
    pwurple wrote: »
    They say you get your third house build right. ;)
    My parents who built their house 20 years ago also tell me that regularly :D I can only hope to benefit from some of their experience because I intend to do it just the once!
    Basically, know what you want. Understanding that comes way before pen is put to paper. Have you a list of requirements?

Know who you are and what you like. What are your interests...

Are you the kind of people who love to cook, or prefer to eat out all the time and stick to sandwiches or deliveries at home.
    Do you enjoy gardening and want the house to fit into that, or is it a chore?
    Are you planning kids, dogs, cats, elderly family to live with you in the future?
    Would a room for sports equipment or a hobby be on the list.
    Any view you want to frame, or block?
    Privacy vs light. Where do you lie?

If you have all the practical items sorted, you’ll be in a good position.

These questions are great, and I suppose curating an even bigger list of these types of questions would help us nail down what we'd like. Rather than answering questions, I've been thinking of a "must have/should have/be awesome to have"list of things I'd want in the house.

The questions may make more sense to tackle this. Cheers for the insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, when we were building, I went of house plan sites, there are loads of free ones. I saw a house on s US site I really liked, printed it off and then brought it to the architect. We told him that this was the outline plan but with a few changes to size and room layout. He just adapted plans for an Irish build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dav010 wrote: »
    Op, when we were building, I went of house plan sites, there are loads of free ones. I saw a house on s US site I really liked, printed it off and then brought it to the architect. We told him that this was the outline plan but with a few changes to size and room layout. He just adapted plans for an Irish build.

Oh gosh, Dav010, I'm sure your house is appropriate for here, but this is nails on chalkboard to me! US sites can throw up some monstrosities too.

OP, please for the love of god, don't download a US McMansion and plonk it in the Irish countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Oh gosh, Dav010, I'm sure your house is appropriate for here, but this is nails on chalkboard to me! US sites can throw up some monstrosities too.

OP, please for the love of god, don't download a US McMansion and plonk it in the Irish countryside.

Surprisingly, not all US houses are huge, there is a filter on most sites where you enter the size of house you want to view, eg 2k2ft, 3ksft etc. I suspect the op has enough sense not to hand the architect a 10k2ft colonial house plans.

Advertisement