Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland Smarter Home Cancelled

Options
  • 16-09-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I have tried to do a search on this but don't see the topic coming up. It seems that Electric Ireland have quietly killed this service. I was subscribed to it for the last 10 months or so. It seems now that I can keep the Nest Thermostat which will still work but the immersion control, smart plugs and energy monitoring will no longer work. Email below:

Dear Smart Home Trialist,
    Over the past number of years your participation in our trials for Smart Heating and Smarter Home have helped us immensely in developing new products and services for Electric Ireland customers. Electric Ireland has now decided to discontinue the Smarter Home trials.

The Smarter Home service will be switched off from Friday morning, 13th September 2019. We would advise that if you have plugs set on timers for devices, these should be removed as they will no longer work. There is nothing that you need to do, we do however ask that the gateway and plugs etc. are recycled through your local WEEE operator.

This discontinuation of the Smarter Home in no way impacts your use of the Nest or Climote you may have had installed as part of the trials, these will continue to work as normal via the dedicated Nest and Climote app and are yours to keep. If you have any questions, please contact us at smarterLiving@electricireland.ie .

On behalf of the entire Smart Home team, we want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to make your home smarter. We hope we made you feel more connected to your home!

I presume the immersion control and smart plugs will not work with another gateway from Samsung or another vendor?

To be fair the smarter home app was pretty hit and miss (mostly miss) but it was handy being able to control the immersion particularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The offering wasn’t great a subscription service fir something you can get easily without a subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

ted1 wrote: »
    The offering wasn’t great a subscription service fir something you can get easily without a subscription

That is true. I suppose on the plus side I got a Nest for €100. Any idea if the immersion can be linked with any other smart home products?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Irreverent wrote: »
    That is true. I suppose on the plus side I got a Nest for €100. Any idea if the immersion can be linked with any other smart home products?

Yeah with your nest depending on your heating set up. You may even be able to get a grant under the SEAI to upgrade your heating controls that may cover it.

Advertisement