Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching the Irish Times digital archives.

Options
  • 03-05-2019 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I recently took out a digital subscription to the Irish Times. However, I was very disappointed with the archive search process. Along with the range of dates I wish to search, it allows me to enter only one term (name, place, etc). Doing this can, depending on what I’m searching for, throw out hundreds, maybe thousands of (mostly irrelevant) results containing the search term. The Irish News Archive search process is far superior to that of the Irish times. With it, I can enter words, terms, and phrases etc that are not to be included in the search results, which makes the process a lot easier.
    I would have thought that the Irish Times would have a more user-friendly search process.

Has anybody else here used the I.T.’s digital archive search facility and what are their thoughts on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Poor search interface and a surreal idea of sorting by date (it sorts in two blocks; as far as I can tell what it thinks are good results and less good results); however they have vastly superior OCR and performance. I find it probably faster to work through than the INA and with more useful results.

INAs performance improves from time to time but its still awful and the OCR is likely unfixable due to the poor original microfilming process done before they were ever involved.

Advertisement