Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grazing17

And you're looking at windows both front and back. Scholarstown (some of the houses) has the water thing at the back so at least you have no houses at the back - on one line anyway......

Anyone done research on mobile phone masts? Any research on living beside one - presuming that is what it is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

I thought it was good that playground already built. And don't be worried about landscaping there is 14 acre park to be builded behind the development. Do anyone know are all the 4 beds sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grazing17

There were a few houses in sales office without red dots, indicating they weren't booked yet...presume they were 4 beds unless they have 5beds too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Think it's only 3 & 4 beds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Galwayforliam

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Think it's only 3 & 4 beds there.

Yeah 3 and 4 beds. All houses were gone apart from 2 - but on left as you go into estate and there will be an apartment block built in front of it blocking your light.

There will be a big crowd there today nosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shell_17

Hi, does anybody here know if Park Developments are listed as a qualifying contractor under Revenue's HTB scheme yet?
    Savills have confirmed that they are approved but the latest list on Revenue's webpage doesn't have them included?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 1979david

Hello guys,
    I have recently heard about Clayfarm in D18. The show houses were brilliant, perfect location close to Luas (green line) etc.
    please consider the side effect of 220KV electrical station right beside it. Eirgrid recommend 40 meters distance from a pylon to residential area but please note that it is not a single pylon only! it is an electrical station and they want to add more equipment to it (e.g. 250MVA Transformer). The research shows the EMF increase the risk of cancer up to 70% for children who live in 600 meters distance from high voltage electrical station (220KV). if you do not believe me please google it and see the results UK and other European countries. the distance of sale office to the pylon is 250 meters. please check.
    It is a massive investment for your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1979david wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    I have recently heard about Clayfarm in D18. The show houses were brilliant, perfect location close to Luas (green line) etc.
    please consider the side effect of 220KV electrical station right beside it. Eirgrid recommend 40 meters distance from a pylon to residential area but please note that it is not a single pylon only! it is an electrical station and they want to add more equipment to it (e.g. 250MVA Transformer). The research shows the EMF increase the risk of cancer up to 70% for children who live in 600 meters distance from high voltage electrical station (220KV). if you do not believe me please google it and see the results UK and other European countries. the distance of sale office to the pylon is 250 meters. please check.

I bet you don't like vaccines too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Hello guys,

Interesting first post.

Potential buyer trying to put others off? Or seller of another gaff in the area trying to drum up purchasers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hello guys,

Okay I googled it. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/cancer-controversies/mobile-phones-wifi-and-power-lines
    Power lines and childhood leukaemia - the evidence isn't clear

The International Agency for Research on Cancer evaluated the evidence and concluded it was 'limited'. They rated low frequency magnetic fields as a 'possible' cause of childhood leukaemia - which means that we can't rule a risk out. This conclusion was supported by a separate World Health Organisation review of the evidence.

It is difficult to carry out research into exposure to magnetic fields and risk of childhood leukaemia, and there is no clear indication of what should be measured and when. So research that combines results from a number of different studies is useful to help get a clearer overview.

Two studies like this, published in 2000, found that the very small number of children who were exposed to the highest magnetic fields had a higher risk of leukaemia (around one and a half times to twice the risk) than children exposed to the lowest levels. But a more recent study of this kind found that the link had weakened and the risk in those exposed to the highest magnetic fields was no longer significantly raised compared to children exposed to the lowest levels.

A study from Denmark looking at more than 1,500 cases of childhood leukaemia found that risk was not higher in those living within 200 metres of an overhead power line compared to those living further away.

And a UK-wide study looking at exposure to electromagnetic fields from underground cables (rather than overhead power lines) recently found no link between closeness to underground cables and childhood cancer.

Overall, at the moment it isn't possible to say with certainty whether or not being exposed to the highest levels of magnetic fields from overhead power lines increases the chance of developing childhood leukaemia. There isn't a good suggestion for how magnetic fields could cause leukaemia, laboratory studies don't support a link and the results from individual studies are variable. This is likely to remain a difficult area to finally resolve.

However, even if the link seen in these studies is a real effect, the impact would be small as only around 1 to 4% of children have the highest levels of exposure. And the evidence shows that there is no noticeable increase in risk for the lower levels of magnetic fields that most people are exposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

over 40 sale agreed from the weekend apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Thats mental... the bubble continues to grow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

xpletiv wrote: »
    Thats mental... the bubble continues to grow.

something in short supply selling quickly is indicative of a bubble? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Actually no; what I see are greedy developers sponging the middle class out of it and putting them in significant debt for the rest of their lives, with cheap and ugly housing piled on top of one another (I have just found this particular estate to be the epitome of this). Government does nothing to put standards and practices in place, nor to decentralise from Dublin, and banks laugh all the way (to the bank!) with people in debt to them for the rest of their lives. People spend their lives commuting or living in a box, while their wages don't improve and bills get steadily higher.

Its not a bubble; it can't burst because its being controlled this well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Actually no; what I see are greedy developers sponging the middle class out of it and putting them in significant debt for the rest of their lives, with cheap and ugly housing piled on top of one another (I have just found this particular estate to be the epitome of this). Government does nothing to put standards and practices in place, nor to decentralise from Dublin, and banks laugh all the way (to the bank!) with people in debt to them for the rest of their lives. People spend their lives commuting or living in a box, while their wages don't improve and bills get steadily higher.

Who forced who again?

A point to note is that Park Developments have devloped the Gallops and surrounding areas over a 30'year period. They aren't coyboys. They haven't left ghost states behind them.

Having bought off Park before I'd have no hesitation giving them a recommendation.

Wouldn't be interested in Clay Farm due to location/cost. In later phases locationnwouldnt be an issue but cost will be. Also traffic long term. Ballyog an road will be a dual carriageway in the future!

• Advertisement

Mod Note: Please stop the generic all banks/developers are evil soap boxing. It adds nothing to the thread and is not related to the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

US real estate giant Hines has submitted plans for the first phase of over 8,000 homes at Ireland's newest town centre in Cherrywood in south county Dublin.
    (The wider €2bn Cherrywood development is expected to house in the region of 30,000 people across its 412 acres by the time it is fully delivered.)

Over 1,200 new apartments in South Dublin to be offered to rental market only
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/over-1200-apartments-in-south-dublin-to-be-offered-to-rental-market-only-36172438.html

+30 000 extra passengers every morning on Green Luas line ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

zom wrote: »
    US real estate giant Hines has submitted plans for the first phase of over 8,000 homes at Ireland's newest town centre in Cherrywood in south county Dublin.
    Over 1,200 new apartments in South Dublin to be offered to rental market only

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/over-1200-apartments-in-south-dublin-to-be-offered-to-rental-market-only-36172438.html

+1000 extra passengers every morning on Green Luas line ?

Plus the additional development in Carrickmines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I assume the Luas can just add extra trams should the demand increase like that? Like they're already bringing in the long trams, they can surely up the frequency when the new homes come on stream. I imagine they will reduce the frequency of the Stephens Green-Sandyford-Stephens Green trams and increase the number of them going all the way to Brides Glen in the future. I wouldn't let this put me off the development, whatever about all the other things people have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boycat1845

Similar problem some years ago buying new house beside a pylon. Put us right off it - before we had a family and did not want to take the risk.

Hello guys,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 boycat1845

Very true not like what houses used to be like in recent times i.e nice estates with plenty of green space landscaping, room to park your car out front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

What will happen in 15 years when the children in this development decide they want a car, where will they park ?

How is Ballyogan road going to cope with the volume of traffic going down it not only from this but new developments in Kilternan and Carrickmines ?

The Luas here surely does not have the capacity to move commuters from a new town. ( Cherrywood) through other major population centres and not be jammed within 5 stops ?

There isn't really a secondary school in the area that will be able to cope with the population growth.

It's nothing on this development in particular but the urban sprawl here now risks turning this area into another Lucan where despite not being able to move due to traffic in the mornings about 14000 more houses are going in the general are ( Adamstown , Clonburris/Clondalkin ) with no Luas.

The transport plan for this area needs to be revisited immediately now with any further development having appropriate infrastructure, not piggybacking on what's there and smothering it's capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 1979david

I have no house to sell. I only wanted to share some info with you guys as I know these houses are not cheap and many young couples/families have a mortgage for it. I believe this is all people right to know about this risk and then make their final decision. please note that we are not talking only about one pylon or over headline. we are talking about 2 x 220,000 volt substation with 3x 250,000,000 volt-Amp transformers and 4x 220,000 Volt lines and 20+ underground cables. you can consult with an electrical engineer.

Interesting comment- met electrical engineer today viewing house in odins way and we were both in queue for clay farm, paid deposits and changed mind! They pulled out over the substation as he said from his research you needed to be at least 600metres away from the substation to avoid risk of cancer in children- i don't have any idea of what risk that is- probably very small but enough for them to pull out.

We pulled out because we got a mid terrace house and only realised after going back at the weekend that it was much darker than the end terraces and we weren't happy. The substation weighed heavily on minds also and we were never fully happy with it both from health perspective and also the valuation of the house down the line should the market change.

Anyways we still had the orchid in mind for phase 2 of clay farm as both further away from substation and also layout and lighting much better but the guy I met today has totally put me off again, especially when he said he was an electrical engineer!

the guy I met today has totally put me off again, especially when he said he was an electrical engineer!

Do electrical engineers receive much in the way of medical training?

The point being he was knowledgeable in terms of the output of the station and risks from his own research which is widely available online. He had no vested interest and neither did I as we had both pulled out and it random coincidence we met in different showhouse a few weeks later- although probably not all that random given there are so few developments in south dublin!

Anyways maybe both of us are overly cautious and best of luck to anyone who bought there- our search goes on - will try Glenside next week- does anyone know about this development (carrickmines)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

The point being he was knowledgeable in terms of the output of the station and risks from his own research which is widely available online. He had no vested interest and neither did I as we had both pulled out and it random coincidence we met in different showhouse a few weeks later- although probably not all that random given there are so few developments in south dublin!

Anyways maybe both of us are overly cautious and best of luck to anyone who bought there- our search goes on - will try Glenside next week- does anyone know about this development (carrickmines)?

It looks lovely, took a drive around it. My issue with glenside is the 3 beds are already converted attics. No room for expansion in the future. Also mostly mid terrace. You're in the middle of no where either. I know Carrickmines is expanding but when will that happen? The already converted attic put me off.

Is it being released next week? Got an email to say it wad this weekend but haven't heard anything else.

Yeah I did same - looked nice and only 5mins walk to retail park and would estimate like 8mins to the luas. With the Luas so close it wouldn't bother me and the retail park is handy for lunch and browsing etc?

I think preview this week and official Launch next weekend

I'd like to see the part in the electrical engineering course which goes into the cause of cell mutation based around sub stations and its statistical significance based on population trends.

Ye're getting very defensive - there are health concerns from several sources - you can ignore and that's fine bit some people don't have an appetite for health risk and when housing supply eventually picks up these won't be on as high demand- only an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I'd like to see the part in the electrical engineering course which goes into the cause of cell mutation based around sub stations and its statistical significance based on population trends.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC165664/

http://www.semitracks.com/courses/technology/biotechnology-for-electrical-engineers.php

http://engineering.illinois.edu/news/article/11131

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anyways we still had the orchid in mind for phase 2 of clay farm as both further away from substation and also layout and lighting much better but the guy I met today has totally put me off again, especially when he said he was an electrical engineer!

Hah, if he was that worried about it, he would not be an electrical engineer anymore...

Before you get cell mutation, cancer or leukaemia you first get crazy or mental living in power lines vicinity. I'm not medician and I carry only 1kV electrical cert but used to work in hi voltage facilities and I tell you - one may get electric shock from keys in the pocket even standing 10 meters from power lines (>100kV). I mean you can't see it, but it is there (electromagnetic field).
    I also talked to people who spent years working there and they all complain about neurological problems - fatigue, insomnia, anxiety or depression plus neurological related like hair loss or eating disorder. Surely this is not 100% guaranteed you get it but risk grows with decreasing the distant from power lines and time you spend there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

The sub station was originally built out in the middle of nowhere for a reason. I think young couples with families in mind would be mad to live next to this. Cancer or no cancer its just outright dangerous. Youd be better off waiting for the phases further up towards stepaside. Besides the cancer, is there a hum off it?

I think the cancer argument is distracting from the main issue here.k This development was fast tracked and allowed to bypass normal planning procedures. Had they gone through normal procedures this development would never have seen the light of day. Proximity to the substation would be the main argument against. Lack of parking a close 2nd.

qrx wrote: »
    The sub station was originally built out in the middle of nowhere for a reason. I think young couples with families in mind would be mad to live next to this. Cancer or no cancer its just outright dangerous. Youd be better off waiting for the phases further up towards stepaside. Besides the cancer, is there a hum off it?

I think the cancer argument is distracting from the main issue here.k This development was fast tracked and allowed to bypass normal planning procedures. Had they gone through normal procedures this development would never have seen the light of day. Proximity to the substation would be the main argument against. Lack of parking a close 2nd.

Yeah I also thought same- my original comfort was they wouldn't get planning permission if unsafe but then it was fast tracked so not the same! I also agree re comment for final phase much further up on stepaside side probably grand - who knows may end up back looking at them yet and at least comfortable distance away from ESB substation.

They were viewings again this weekend- they'll struggle to sell houses beside ESB substation which have a 4 floor apartment block going up in front of them - maybe there sold by now but they were the leftovers when we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Docmac

Not sure why people are scaremongering, without the facts. Are any of you physicists?

I have been looking to purchase a new house over the last 6 months, a painful process indeed including Glenside, Clay Farm, Bishops Gate, Waverly, Struan Glen (out of my price range and a bit far out anyway). Clay Farm and Glenside have been pretty much top of my list, location being ideal for the luas (Clay Farm obviously closer but Glenside still walkable). I like both, price range high enough but decent compared to those in Stepaside or in further "south dublin". Bishops gate is a write off it is so impossible to get, and a bit far out for me so i have just about stopped harrassing the developers for news (this house hunting stuff is quite addictive though!).

I visited the building site for clay farm (from the outside) months ago and noticed the ESB tower beside one part of the site - contacted the developers by email. They said and i quote "Park Developments Group have gone through the normal planning procedure to successfully secure the proper planning for the development at Clay Farm. Part of this procedure involved an EIS and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, Planners were happy with all aspects of the development having gone through the full application in detail." EIS, which i googled, means Environmental Impact Assessment, which has to include human risk apparently.

I was also was in touch with ESB directly about the Pylons behind the phase 2 houses in Glenside (nobody else noticed?) and the substation beside Clay Farm and they indicated no cause for alarm with either (Sent me a booklet and all. Worth a read). And i was told it is a 110 KV station beside Clay Farm and not 220 KV as someone else said.

Everyone should be thorough in the research they do for any home, but stop wasting time scaremongering and do your own research, get the answers you need direct from the sources. I am apparently 5th on the waiting list for a 3 bed in Clay Farm and will be jumping for joy if i get one. If not I will continue to pursue Glenside and will be keeping up my research!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Docmac wrote: »
    ........I am apparently 5th on the waiting list for a 3 bed in Clay Farm and will be jumping for joy if i get one.........

Typical scare mongering by the estate agents, 5th on the list, oh consider yourself very lucky if you get one. Typical boom time thinking me thinks. Take into account if you need to sell your house too in the future, the stations will definately affect the price. Not everyone would like to live near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shanedunne2000

Yeah I also thought same- my original comfort was they wouldn't get planning permission if unsafe but then it was fast tracked so not the same! I also agree re comment for final phase much further up on stepaside side probably grand - who knows may end up back looking at them yet and at least comfortable distance away from ESB substation.

They were viewings again this weekend- they'll struggle to sell houses beside ESB substation which have a 4 floor apartment block going up in front of them - maybe there sold by now but they were the leftovers when we were there.

We put a booking deposit down on #16 Orchid on Saturday. I figure that it is far enough away from the substation but take the point on resale concerns. I also figure that it's so near the communications mast that we wouldn't actually see it.

However I may not have considered the apartments impact. They're four story, but how many units in each block (there's four blocks in viscosity of # 16). Also is there no underground parking for apartments, so no parking really?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shanedunne2000

Does anybody know if there will be more than one entrance to Clay Farm from the Ballyogen Road? Will that entrances that's going to be a through road to Stepaside loop back around to another point on the Ballyogen road, and so providing a second entrance to the units that are currently under construction?

Does anybody know where the foot bridge is going from and to?

• Advertisement

zom wrote: »
    I also talked to people who spent years working there and they all complain about neurological problems - fatigue, insomnia, anxiety or depression plus neurological related like hair loss or eating disorder. Surely this is not 100% guaranteed you get it but risk grows with decreasing the distant from power lines and time you spend there.

I also talked to people who spent years working there and they all complain about neurological problems - fatigue, insomnia, anxiety or depression plus neurological related like hair loss or eating disorder. Surely this is not 100% guaranteed you get it but risk grows with decreasing the distant from the office and time you spend there.

See what I did there....
    Jobs OXO wrote: »

Its interesting to me that you can create such a solid connection in your mind between a electrical engineer specialising in the medical device field and one who works in sub stations for supply companies. Almost as if there couldn't be huge differences between the two.

That's what I was told by people working in power plant industry and they warned me not to follow their paths even for good money there, as you pay back with your health (mental mostly).
    Point is if there is dust, smoke or noise for example, people are aware of dangerous conditions straight away, while with electromagnetic field it is easy to disregard it as you can't see or smell anything.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The power station wouldn't bother me too much so long as I wasn't right beside it.

The parking, the traffic and the inevitable luas problems would be top of my list of issues. I also think the houses are seriously fugly but that's just personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eternal31

The thing about power station is that the communication mast and pylons are eyesore. Imagine when you get up in a beautiful morning, you walk out of the door and see those things and hear buzzing sound. People will get used to it I guess.

btw, guys, I never lived in a mid-terraced house before. Will a lack of side access to back garden make huge differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

Just to confirm that none of these houses went through fast track planning. That is a new incentive and the part of Clay Farm that is in that process is still going through review. Building on those houses in not likely to start until 2018 according to the newspapers. The current houses which are built/being built went through the traditional planning process with DLRCOCO with appeals to An Bord Pleanala. All available free online if you do your research properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

eternal31 wrote: »
    The thing about power station is that the communication mast and pylons are eyesore. Imagine when you get up in a beautiful morning, you walk out of the door and see those things and hear buzzing sound. People will get used to it I guess.

btw, guys, I never lived in a mid-terraced house before. Will a lack of side access to back garden make huge differences?

Just like you can get use to regular beatings.

Do you really want to make the biggest purchase of your life, to live next to this sh1t? No thanks.

• Advertisement

Advantages are increased security and less heat loss.

Disadvantages - none really. Put down wooden or tiled floors on ground floor so when you bring the bike through on a wet day you can wipe up any mess made. I assume these houses have bin storage out the front? I probably shouldn't assume that, you might.be expected to use the recycling plant right beside you!

commanjoe wrote: »
    Just to confirm that none of these houses went through fast track planning. That is a new incentive and the part of Clay Farm that is in that process is still going through review. Building on those houses in not likely to start until 2018 according to the newspapers. The current houses which are built/being built went through the traditional planning process with DLRCOCO with appeals to An Bord Pleanala. All available free online if you do your research properly.
    So all observations were taken into consideration, gotcha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aikens96

Hands up - I am currently selling our house in a local area. It is 2002 sq foot, 4 bed and 4 bath. We have recently redecorated and live in a quiet cul-de-sac. Our house is tastefully presented (if I do say so myself). We have parking for 3 cars out front and plenty of parking on the road. Children can play safely as traffic is minimal. Our sale price is less than most new builds on offer. This is a genuine question from a seller trying to compete with new builds in the area - why is nobody considering a 2nd hand home??? Some beautiful properties in established areas. Again a genuine question as very puzzled why everyone appears to be running towards new builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Aikens96 wrote: »
    Hands up - I am currently selling our house in a local area. It is 2002 sq foot, 4 bed and 4 bath. We have recently redecorated and live in a quiet cul-de-sac. Our house is tastefully presented (if I do say so myself). We have parking for 3 cars out front and plenty of parking on the road. Children can play safely as traffic is minimal. Our sale price is less than most new builds on offer. This is a genuine question from a seller trying to compete with new builds in the area - why is nobody considering a 2nd hand home??? Some beautiful properties in established areas. Again a genuine question as very puzzled why everyone appears to be running towards new builds.

Lower heating costs , big government grant , no bidding war.

Aikens96 wrote: »
    Sounds lovely - whereabouts? Deffo not just looking new builds but always nice to move into a brand new home. I've found second hands as Expensive as new builds though and you get into bidding wars. At least with a new build you know what the price is and no messing about so that makes them attractive

• Advertisement
Advertisement