Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orange Order

Options
  • 18-12-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am currently reading The Lives of Frank Ryan and there is a quotation from Ryan where he asserts the Orange Lodges are supported by a Catholic English Aristocracy.

While I am unable to verify this assertion can anyone else provide any evidence in support of Ryan's claim? Is there much of a Catholic aristocracy in Britain and what is the extent of their wealth, power and influence on political affairs.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know much about the English Catholic aristocracy but the Roman Catholic Duke of Norfolk is Britain's premier Duke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Norfolk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

ECF wrote: »
    I am currently reading The Lives of Frank Ryan and there is a quotation from Ryan where he asserts the Orange Lodges are supported by a Catholic English Aristocracy.

While I am unable to verify this assertion can anyone else provide any evidence in support of Ryan's claim? Is there much of a Catholic aristocracy in Britain and what is the extent of their wealth, power and influence on political affairs.

Many thanks

Ryans assertion looks dubious to me,why would any Catholics be they aristocracy or more lowly mortals support a sectarian and rabid anti catholic organisation like the LOL? As of yet., I have not encountered any reference or source for Ryan's theory

Advertisement