Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ww2 service records

Options
  • 13-12-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Googling seems to tell me that ww2 service records are not available without an application with death cert etc.

My father served in ww2, and died in 1992, when i was 11, so its a part of his life i know nothing about, other than stories of him teaching people to drive tanks while sitting on the front and shouting at them. I know he held the rank of sargent because i found his army hgv licence from wartime in an old book. My mother knows nothing about this period of his life( they didnt meet until 1968)

Is there another way, as a child of someone who served? I have medals he was presented so maybe if i posted some pictures, someone could tell me where he possibly served?

Many thanks, been curious about this for many years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Depends on which army he served in, obviously, but as a general rule, if an ex-serviceman is dead, the next-of-kin can access his service records. You may need to get your mother to sign the form applying for a copy of the records, but it should be possible. Some armies keep better records than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Thanks for that....he was scottish, but know he lived in yorkshire in the 1930s. Ill try and follow up, but my mother is elderly now, and not too agreeable to much! If anyone is good at identifying medals, ill happily post pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks for that....he was scottish, but know he lived in yorkshire in the 1930s. Ill try and follow up, but my mother is elderly now, and not too agreeable to much! If anyone is good at identifying medals, ill happily post pictures.

Try posting them on the Militaria or WWII forums, there are a few people there that may be able to help.

Do you know what regiment he was in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

No, i dont know what regiment, and didnt know boards had a militaria forum, thanks for that:)

Advertisement