Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old registration numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The system dates from the start of the 20th century or thereabouts and covered the entire UK as it was. I and Z were the letters allocated to Ireland.

Initially, registrations were in the form of 'I-Letter-4 Number' or 'Z-Letter-4 Numbers', but when numbers ran out, this changed to 'I-Letter-3 Numbers' or 'Z-Letter-3 Numbers'. When those numbers ran our, it was reversed, numbers before letters. The two vans PCI 908 and 928 HIZ are therefore Carlow and Mayo registrations and the car AZY 126 is Louth.

The last car 52AJZA(?) is more complicated. The two 'A's are different shapes, suggest one shouldn't be there or has been painted on after something came off - typically plates were raised plastic letters on a metal plate (others were flat metal on metal). However, there seems to never have been a sequence with 4 letters. There was a lack of standardisation of plates colours, with black, red or white backgrounds common, with black or silver lettering.

Note that II, IZ and ZI never existed and ZZ was for temporary registrations. The Z series can still be used for classic cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

This might help you.( I hope this is what you're asking :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Victor wrote: »
    The system dates from the start of the 20th century or thereabouts and covered the entire UK as it was. I and Z were the letters allocated to Ireland.

Initially, registrations were in the form of 'I-Letter-4 Number' or 'Z-Letter-4 Numbers', but when numbers ran out, this changed to 'I-Letter-3 Numbers' or 'Z-Letter-3 Numbers'. When those numbers ran our, it was reversed, numbers before letters. The two vans PCI 908 and 928 HIZ are therefore Carlow and Mayo registrations and the car AZY 126 is Louth.

The last car 52AJZA(?) is more complicated. The two 'A's are different shapes, suggest one shouldn't be there or has been painted on after something came off - typically plates were raised plastic letters on a metal plate (others were flat metal on metal). However, there seems to never have been a sequence with 4 letters. There was a lack of standardisation of plates colours, with black, red or white backgrounds common, with black or silver lettering.

Note that II, IZ and ZI never existed and ZZ was for temporary registrations. The Z series can still be used for classic cars.

Just to clarify a couple of points in the quoted post:

IZ and ZI did indeed exist. The former was Mayo and the latter one of the many Dublin reg combinations.
    Z was Dublin Co.
    ZV is used for classics and vintage classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There was a lack of standardisation of plates colours, with black, red or white backgrounds common, with black or silver lettering.

Or no plates at all, self adhesive letters/numbers and reg numbers painted on, usually seen on tractors/motorbikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I often wonder which genius thought that it would be easy to read black digits on a dark red background, or weren't they dark when they were new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The last car 52AJZA(?) is more complicated. The two 'A's are different shapes, suggest one shouldn't be there or has been painted on after something came off -

The initial numbering was done alphabetically, IA for Antrim, IB for Armagh, IF was Cork, IN was Kerry, etc. When that sequence ran out a third letter was added.
    The car mentioned above is 524 JZA, a Dublin reg. Frequently when the numberplates were stamped out the die cut through the aluminium plate and bits fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The initial numbering was done alphabetically, IA for Antrim, IB for Armagh, IF was Cork, IN was Kerry, etc. When that sequence ran out a third letter was added.
    The car mentioned above is 524 JZA, a Dublin reg. Frequently when the numberplates were stamped out the die cut through the aluminium plate and bits fell out.

Worked in the Motor Tax Office many years ago and all newbies got the registration lecture from a long time veteran. Your description brings it all back to me "the I is for Ireland followed by all the counties in alphabetical order IA for Antrim etc etc" The spiel never changed.

I know they ran out of numbers but I'd prefer it to next year's daft 131 and 132 idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I often wonder which genius thought that it would be easy to read black digits on a dark red background

The EU suggested red would be good in numberplates and Ireland was one of the few to listen to this advice. That said they often faded to a sort of pale pink.
    I know they ran out of numbers

They ran out of numbers in the 26 counties, as they had much earlier in Britain. because they only used 3 digit numbers with 3 letter combinations, As NI cutely used 4 digit numbers with 3 letters they haven't run out of numbers and are good for another 20 years.

ZZ wasn't in the original scheme and was later used for temporary imports into the Republic.
    ZV was never issued in the old system, and is now used for Classics.
    IG wasn't in the original scheme and has now been used in Fermanagh, although not with some letter combinations.

Advertisement