Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare means test

Options
  • 14-09-2019 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hello everyone.

I think I am about to drop out of college. I am thinking of applying for jobseekers allowance. I have calculated the means test for living with my parents and I wont get anything because there income is too high. This is very frustrating as my parents give me no money as it is. They are unhappy with me planning to drop out and they wont even talk to me currently. I get nothing from them currently. I applied for work over the summer and did get a job in a sports camp but now thats over. I cant find work anywhere else. Does anyone know if I go into a social welfare office and explain how parents dont contribute at all to me if they would not take into account the means test ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hello everyone.

I think I am about to drop out of college. I am thinking of applying for jobseekers allowance. I have calculated the means test for living with my parents and I wont get anything because there income is too high. This is very frustrating as my parents give me no money as it is. They are unhappy with me planning to drop out and they wont even talk to me currently. I get nothing from them currently. I applied for work over the summer and did get a job in a sports camp but now thats over. I cant find work anywhere else. Does anyone know if I go into a social welfare office and explain how parents dont contribute at all to me if they would not take into account the means test ?

highly unlikely unfortunately, what is the problem with your college course?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

There is a lot of pressure on me to work on weekends to fund accomdation/fees which I cant keep up with all the work at the same time and I cant even find work. I also dont have an interest in the course and I dont think it going to help me long term and it wont give much opportunities I am interested in. I was hoping to transfer to a different course but I was just told last friday its very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There is a lot of pressure on me to work on weekends to fund accomdation/fees which I cant keep up with all the work at the same time and I cant even find work. I also dont have an interest in the course and I dont think it going to help me long term and it wont give much opportunities I am interested in. I was hoping to transfer to a different course but I was just told last friday its very unlikely.

i could understand the pressure of trying to juggle all of that, i cant juggle work and college at the same time, even though i have done so in the past, with great stress. unfortunately your parents are probably under incredible pressure trying to run the home, and educate you at the same time. how far into the course are you, and how long left in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You have to print off around 30 CVs and cover letters and put them in envelopes. Smarten yourself up clean clothes clean hair clean shoes and start walking around all the shops cafes hotels restaurants.
    Ask to speak to the manager in each place. Be insistent about the manager. Smile politely and say that you are available for any type of work at all any hours. Say that you are punctual and hardworking and can start immediately.
    I’d be very surprised if you don’t get something even if it’s just a trial.
    Hotels in particular are always looking for staff.
    Forget about the dole.

Advertisement