Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a snag

Options
  • 15-10-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much a snagger would generally charge for a 3 bed semi-d 110sq metres? Have got back wildly different prices from 4 people and not sure should I go with the dearest, the cheapest or something in the middle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just wondering how much a snagger would generally charge for a 3 bed semi-d 110sq metres? Have got back wildly different prices from 4 people and not sure should I go with the dearest, the cheapest or something in the middle?

I've heard prices anywhere from €160 upwards of €300 or €400 even...

I didn't bother and for my sister's house it was herself, our dad and myself....

We came back with so much the builder thought we were joking....

There were a huge amount of painting errors, chips out of paint and even huge amounts of defects on staircase.
    Kitchen presses and doors not lining up.
    Plaster on the outside and holes in the floors upstairs bigger then a 2 euro coin....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

Is there major work involved?
    Did the builder that done the house quote as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Would you trust the builder who built the house to be honest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is there major work involved?
    Did the builder that done the house quote as well?

Never get the builder that built your house to snag it!

Initial snag and handover of list maybe about €300 depending on who you use.
    If you are prepared to go through the list and tick off the remaining items then there may be no follow up visit from the snagger required. If it is required then expect the price to go up from the €300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

And also, be prepared for them only doing 50% of what's on the list. And I'm not even on about the stuff on which they could legitimately tell you to jog on, but the serious stuff.

The neck of some builders is unreal, especially in Dublin.

It's your house and you are paying a lot for it. Fight like a fxcking ape to make sure they do everything for you. Take no sh't from the outset.

To answer your Q, 160euro is likely some chancer. You should pay about 400euro for a decent snagging service if the guy is good and knows how to price his skillset. But hey, may be someone there doing a good job at 160euro, we don't know, but I just doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I would use a reputable crowd as you need to get the snagging right because it costs so much to get any tradesperson out these days....and that's when you can get one.

When we bought a new build I asked around neighbours who had already moved in about who they used. This worked well because they knew what specifically to look out for along with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Ask on the Facebook/what's app group if there is one for the development for one that others have already used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Surprised by some of the answers here, my snagger was €200 and he was FANTASTIC.

Surprised by some of the answers here, my snagger was €200 and he was FANTASTIC.

Location might help.
    Also if you paid cash/nixer.

When you take out vat, then allow for travel, taxes and overheads, €200 sounds very cheap for a days work from a tradesman or professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

North Meath/South Louth area.

North Meath/South Louth area.

Cheers.
    Registered company/sole trader or nixer?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

I've gotten multiple quotes for €200 for a 3 bed semi d

kceire wrote: »
    Location might help.
    Also if you paid cash/nixer.

When you take out vat, then allow for travel, taxes and overheads, €200 sounds very cheap for a days work from a tradesman or professional.

No, it was a proper registered company in Dublin, all above board :confused: It's not a full day though, I think he was with us for about 2 hours. €100 an hour including expenses sounds right to me.

No, it was a proper registered company in Dublin, all above board :confused: It's not a full day though, I think he was with us for about 2 hours. €100 an hour including expenses sounds right to me.

With you for 2 hours, plus
    Travel
    Preparing the report
    Assigning all photos against snag items
    Issuing the report.

I'll assume he didn't come back to check against the list?

Its a days job.

Sounds very good value, maybe you can PM me the company as our guys we use charge more.

With you for 2 hours, plus
    Travel
    Preparing the report
    Assigning all photos against snag items
    Issuing the report.

I'll assume he didn't come back to check against the list?

Its a days job.

Sounds very good value, maybe you can PM me the company as our guys we use charge more.

No, he didn't come back - we could have had a follow up inspection for an extra €150 (I think) but all the items were cosmetic and we were happy to check them ourselves. I'll PM you.

Its a days job.

Go away out of that.
    A day to snag a 3 bed semi ?
    You'd want to be off your nut to pay someone 400e a day to make a list.

Anyway when I was on the buildings we used to leave stuff for the snagers so they could justify their worth.

Crooked sockets,light switches upside down etc

Anyway when I was on the buildings we used to leave stuff for the snagers so they could justify their worth.

Crooked sockets,light switches upside down etc

No you didn't.

We did.
    Easy stuff so they could fill their lists without being a pain in the arse.

We did.
    Easy stuff so they could fill their lists without being a pain in the arse.

Ok, great story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement