Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental Scam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Airbnb for 2 years? Fantastic advice :rolleyes:

Absolutely incorrect. It's exactly how you rent in Germany.

How can you be certain?

All the scam experts on here. Just because they cannot think outside the box.

It may be a scam, or it may not be. Insist on a bank transfer if you are interested in taking her on. I wouldn't go to the trouble of it myself.

For those asking why would they try such an obvious scam...this is why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How can you say for certain? A broken clock is right twice a day :rolleyes:

It's definitely a scam...

Nobody tells a LL they drink occasionally....

The coming here to set up a film with no actual job or proof of income, sure what could go wrong....

Any LL that takes on someone such as this deserve to be shafted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I've nothing to add other than to say that fake bank drafts and scammers go hand-in-hand. Avoid.

Oh and to whoever said drafts take 5 days to clear.. That's the kind of ignorance scammers depend on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's definitely a scam...

Prove it.
    Nobody tells a LL they drink occasionally....

If you cared to actually read my post, I stated that it is in fact something that is not unusual to say to a LL here in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
    The coming here to set up a film with no actual job or proof of income, sure what could go wrong....

Strawman. Nowhere in the thread does it state the above. The woman offered any documents required.
    Any LL that takes on someone such as this deserve to be shafted.

Idiotic statement. Do you have any idea how international Dublin and Cork is? Do you have any idea how somebody, from Munich say, applies to get a room/flat in Ireland?

It has yet to be determined if this is a scam or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Prove it.

If you cared to actually read my post, I stated that it is in fact something that is not unusual to say to a LL here in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.

We aren't in Munich, Bavaria, Germandy.

Strawman. Nowhere in the thread does it state the above. The woman offered any documents required.
    Easy done for any scam artist.

Idiotic statement. Do you have any idea how international Dublin and Cork is? Do you have any idea how somebody, from Munich say, applies to get a room/flat in Ireland?
    Through an estate agent usually.

It has yet to be determined if this is a scam or not.

Nice try K.Andrea.....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Nice try K.Andrea.....

Kudos to him/her. To track down this thread to get the con pushed through is admirable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Anyone who can't spot this as a scam shouldn't be using the internet without adult supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If someone emails me from germany ,i would ask for a large deposit,
    i would expect payment before she moves in,
    she could pay in cash ,if she wants .
    it could be genuine .You would need to ask for more info from her.
    I would not take a bank draft that takes 6 week,s to clear unless she
    gives it to me 6 weeks, before she moves in.
    I don,t think western union money transfer takes 6 weeks to clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I'd ignore those emails and move on. High risk of being a scam.

If you did decide to proceed with this person, or just wanted to know for knowing's sake - ask for a number to call and try to have a chat with them. I bet you the response will be something something can't take a call at the moment (travelling, or lost my phone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi

I'm the original poster. I told the scammer last Friday by email I will not accept bank drafts and I haven't heard back from then since.

The room has also been rented and he moved in today.

These scams can catch out some people, I know that it would definitely catch out my mother.

Thank you everyone for your replies, information and help.

Advertisement