Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthropology?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Howdy,

I'm a Sixth Year Leaving Cert Student and the CAO deadline is fast approaching and was wondering what people think about the BA in Anthropology in NUIM (MH111) cos I was considering it as a subject to throw down.

Anyone out there wanna throw some light on it I'd be much obliged, preferably current or even past students and the career opportunities available.

K PLZ THX BAI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hello and welcome! I promise a proper reply when i'm not limited to my phone, but for now i would encourage you to keep your options open. This course is part of a general raft of single honours degree programmes coming onstream over the part few years, and in my experience can leave you restricted in terms of subject choice and experience, both of which can be managed within the traditional arts programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Hi, personally I'd reccommend applying for an Arts degree and taking it as one of your subjects, as after first year you can switch to single honours if you wish/discuss it with the department and the right people in the college.

It's a very interesting subject, there's a lot of reading which shouldn't be too bad if you enjoy it, and you'll get used to writing long essays etc, which will be handy for when you'll have to write a thesis!

The subject is usually defined as "the comparative study of human nature", which techinically leaves a very broad range of what/who/where you can study.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Audacious

Yeah, thats the general gist i seem to be getting from it. I shall have to investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nameproblem

Hi
    I did anthropology through arts in NUIM, the single honours program only started when i got to third year, so i didn't have the option, but I would recommend it as a subject, I agree with previous poster about taking it as an arts subject choice and then deciding further in 2nd year. There are long essays and a lot of reading, but it is very interesting subject. I am currently in my 2nd year of my Masters in Anthropology, writing up my thesis, and the long essays from my B.A. were a great help for the research and amount of writing needed... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Where are you doing your Masters? The options aren't too great in Ireland IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement