Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life going wrong...can't afford insurance

Options
  • 16-10-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

A claim was made against me in 2013, I have paid if off in full & now I cant either get a quote or if I do its thru the roof. The only way I can afford it is if I lie about the total cost of claim.

I really desperate. What can I do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

karen29070 wrote: »
    . The only way I can afford it is if I lie about the total cost of claim.

I really desperate. What can I do

Lying about the total cost of the claim only brings down your quote.
    The total cost of the claim is available to the proposed insurer and as it is a material fact relating to your status.
    Any error or "mistake" on your part will lead to any insurance granted on foot of the mistaken information being voided.

As to what you can do.
    Not a lot, pay the premium or stop driving.
    Any change of the facts is illegal and advising that would be against the rules here.
    Its a horrible situation to be in, but insurance is a legal requirement to drive, and disclosure of material facts is a requirement to be insured.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:
    TheBoyConor, you've been around boards long enough to know that it's against the rules to suggest potentially illegal courses of action.

Lying to insurers is insurance fraud.

Yellow card issued and posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 karen29070

Sorry I know it sounds awful but I'm trying to stay afloat. I live in rural area so car is needed.
    If I go ahead with this insurance can they connect my old insurance as regards the total of claim?
    I know people driving without insurance but I don't want to go down that road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well as Banie says, to stay 100% above board here your choices are limited; pony up the premium or give up driving.

Do you have anyone in the family or close friend that could lend you their car and put you on their insurance as a named driver so that at least you can drive where you need to go sometimes?

Could you buy a moped and use that instead? Cheap enough to buy and to insure and it'll get you around at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

karen29070 wrote: »
    If I go ahead with this insurance can they connect my old insurance as regards the total of claim?

Yes. Your quote is based solely on the detail you provide at time of quotation.
    Prior to a policy actually being issued the insurer will review the insurance databases and match details of claims, address, and other detail relevant to underwriting risk.

In the miniscule chance they didn't, you can be very certain that should a further claim ever arise your policy would be voided upon their investigation of the claim and claim history.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Karen

You are asking for advice on how to circumvent a legal requirement and how to hide material facts from an insurer. I can't let this thread stay open as it's against the rules to ask for advice that is against the law. And you are only encouraging other posters to risk getting a mod sanction.

I'm sorry to have to close this thread but it has to be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement