Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my no claims bonus

Options
  • 02-10-2019 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello! For the last four years, i have not had a car. Previously, I was a customer of axa insurance for about 15 years. I used to have a no claims bonus but now I have lost it. Which company is the cheapest for me to renew with? And how much would it cost if I got the basic third party insurance for my car? It is for a 2006 1.4 petrol car. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

John225 wrote: »
    Hello! For the last four years, i have not had a car. Previously, I was a customer of axa insurance for about 15 years. I used to have a no claims bonus but now I have lost it. Which company is the cheapest for me to renew with? And how much would it cost if I got the basic third party insurance for my car? It is for a 2006 1.4 petrol car. Thanks!

Find yourself an agent who compares across a range of insurance providers and pull a quote. It will cost your 50 Euro but saves you the hassle to call around and tell the story 10 times...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Aviva was the cheapest for me after extenisve searching. Adding a named driver cut the price substantially.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

ampleforth wrote: »
    Find yourself an agent who compares across a range of insurance providers and pull a quote. It will cost your 50 Euro but saves you the hassle to call around and tell the story 10 times...

There is no set fee that brokers charge, €50 would be on the high side and they only charge you if you place business with them. Obtaining quotations are free

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try and get a car newer then that if possible as they load for older cars.

Just ring as many as you can brokers and insurance companies and do online quotes.

Someone could find AA the best or liberty or Aviva or bank of Ireland etc etc....

They are all nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kjpf

Was in a similar situation last year, I found KennCo to be the cheapest by a fair bit although was still fairly costly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

Post Insurance - difference of about 350 euro. AA wanted 952 and Post Insurance asked for 600, this is for a brand new car, with a small engine (SUV type).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John225

Sorry for not replying in the last few days :( . I've been talking to a lot of these insurance companies. I have bought my car and i am getting it insured on monday with dempsey insurance because they live close to me. It's still expensive but axa told me that they will insure me next year. Thanks for all your suggestions. I have listened to a few of them and they have greatly helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Strangely enough, it's quite often cheaper to get fully comprehensive insurance than just third party. I hope you got quotes for both.

Put value of the car at €5000 or more even if only worth €1000... This can change the price too and putting a named full licence driver on the policy can drop it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Put value of the car at €5000 or more even if only worth €1000... This can change the price too and putting a named full licence driver on the policy can drop it too.

That sounds odd. Why would a lower price increase the cost of insurance ? Are they not calculating it in for the cost of what you may claim for your car?

• Advertisement

ampleforth wrote: »
    That sounds odd. Why would a lower price increase the cost of insurance ? Are they not calculating it in for the cost of what you may claim for your car?

I don't know why but it does change the premium for many.

They won't pay out 5k only what it's worth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement