Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Time Renting Questions

Options
  • 27-11-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, I have some questions around two main areas that are somewhat related. I'm hoping you knowledgeable folk on here might be able to give me some advice (Googling surprisingly didn't really yield much).

First off I want to explain my situation as it'll give a better idea of what I'm asking and why:

I'm in my early 30s and have never rented before (sad I know but I live with family in Dublin and my current job doesn't pay well enough to rent somewhere). In January I will be starting a new job and moving across the country for that job and obviously need to rent somewhere at least for a year or two.

So my first, more basic question is... What do I need?

I'd have a thought a list of basic documents etc that you would need as a first-time renter would be easy to come across but I've found nothing particularly helpful.

My second question, which is somewhat related to the first, is about Employment references.

I understand you generally need to give a prospective landlord an employment reference to show you're in employment and can afford the rent etc...

In my situation, I finish my current job mid-January on a Friday and start my new job the next Monday. Do I need a reference from my current employer, who I finish with in January or from my new employer who I start with in January? or Both?

Also any other handy tips to get me going would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Doomofman wrote: »
    Howdy all, I have some questions around two main areas that are somewhat related. I'm hoping you knowledgeable folk on here might be able to give me some advice (Googling surprisingly didn't really yield much).

First off I want to explain my situation as it'll give a better idea of what I'm asking and why:

I'm in my early 30s and have never rented before (sad I know but I live with family in Dublin and my current job doesn't pay well enough to rent somewhere). In January I will be starting a new job and moving across the country for that job and obviously need to rent somewhere at least for a year or two.

I'd have a thought a list of basic documents etc that you would need as a first-time renter would be easy to come across but I've found nothing particularly helpful.

My second question, which is somewhat related to the first, is about Employment references.

I understand you generally need to give a prospective landlord an employment reference to show you're in employment and can afford the rent etc...

In my situation, I finish my current job mid-January on a Friday and start my new job the next Monday. Do I need a reference from my current employer, who I finish with in January or from my new employer who I start with in January? or Both?

Thanks
    What do you need?
    Patience, money and lots of time to look for a place. You have no previous LL reference so you may be passed over by a lot of agencies that will ask for previous references and eliminate anyone without a LL reference for box ticking and covering their a55. Would recommend focussing on ads that are directly placed by a LL. If you get a viewing, the LL can then suss you out directly. Make sure in any emails to respond to ads you put a bit about yourself in - relocating, job in X location etc. You may have to house share for a time - not ideal at your age but this is the great Celtic phoenix we have in the rental market. You may be asked for bank statements - up to you whether you want to share but it will be a prompt "Next person" if you refuse.

Employment reference?
    Get a letter from either the recruiter or directly from the employer. I'd expect they will merely confirm that you have accepted a job offer with said company and start on X date. The letter won't say youre a great person altogether and that you'd be a great tenant.

When you say accross the country, I'm assuming you mean Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Thanks

Since you won't have the payslips yet for the new job - try to get a letter from the new employer confirming you will commence employment on X date; that you are on a permanent contract (if possible) and that your salary will be X euro.

You could always lie about the landlord reference, get a friend to vouch for you and act as a "landlord" to stand over the reference they give you - this could get you over the hurdle with agencies whereby they have boxes to tick with the documents they require. I would not condone this however.

Alternatively, explain in the cover letter that you have lived at home in Y address, that you are Irish and now you finally have the job security to move out. Basically present yourself as a respectable person.

So have to hand;

1. Employer letter.
    2. Copy passport.
    3. Proof of current address (e.g. bank statement).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks for the responses guys... It's actually Sligo I'm moving to... There's plenty of places advertised in my budget range so my real hurdle is the lack of references... I've just sent a mail to my new employer's HR department asking how I go about getting that sort of letter so hopefully they'll sort me out... I have two months to get it sorted so I'm hoping that'll be long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of previous landlord references, just be honest and say it's your first time renting. It's very common in this day and age, especially for Dublin folk. If you come across one that really won't budge, offer to list a guarantor (family member usually).

In terms of a reference from your future employer - do you have a job offer / contract that you can show? This shows you are going to be employed + salary information. Best to follow the above advice and just asked for an employment confirmation letter. You don't need a reference from your current (old) employer.

I have the contract yeah. Is there a risk of someone jacking up rent when they not what you're earning? Or is it expected for a landlord to know that information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Thanks for the responses guys... It's actually Sligo I'm moving to... There's plenty of places advertised in my budget range so my real hurdle is the lack of references... I've just sent a mail to my new employer's HR department asking how I go about getting that sort of letter so hopefully they'll sort me out... I have two months to get it sorted so I'm hoping that'll be long enough

Just highlighting again as it is important, but if it is a permanent employment contract then try to have your letter from your company stating this, as that shows security for the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement