Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First-time buyer questions

Options
  • 16-05-2015 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I am a first time buyer (FTB) and a foreign national. I would like to understand which are the reliefs I am entitled to and some more information about any constraints I have being a FTB.

I know that TRS is not any more available for purchases made after Jan, 1st 2013. Is there any other reliefs I can claim? I already know about DIRT refund.

Being a foreign national I can move in another country if I get a job elsewhere and my plan would be to rent the house then. Is there any constraint on that?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The major benefit is that the deposit you need is less than for any other purchaser category (at 10%). You already know about the DIRT relief. Thats pretty much it. You have to pay property tax etc- which you'll continue to have to pay whether or not you are resident in the property. There are no restrictions on you letting the property- if you leave the country- but for goodness sake- make sure you have an agent who is thoroughly familiar with Irish tenancy law- and abides by it. Its very basic legislation- but a ridiculous number of people seem to make a haemes of it.

Advertisement