Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm worried I won't get my deposit back

Options
  • 12-06-2011 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have 7 months left on my apartment lease but i just get this feeling i wont get my deposit back, when i moved in after a few days i noticed a few things wrong

1.door/hinge to freezer section inside of fridge broken
    2.lights missing in 2 of the rooms
    3.latch on kitchen door broken
    4.kids scribling on the walls
    5.letter box broken

I asked the landlord to sort these issues out but he hasn't, i have actually accepted that these jobs wont be done but im worried hes going to turn around and blame me for these things at the end of the lease, so much so im worried about losing my 500 euro deposit, im tempted to not pay the last months rent in an effort to avoid this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sammi503

Hopefully you have a copy of the e-mail/letter/whatever was sent to the landlord regarding the house. If he tries to keep your deposit and cites those things that you'd listed, you'll have proof that you asked him to fix them upon moving in and that it wasn't done and therefore they can't keep your deposit. Even if they try to, you can always threaten them with contacting the tenants board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I asked the landlord to sort these issues out but he hasn't

It's no good "asking". You should always advise the landlord in writing (keep a copy) and give him a specified time by which the problems should be fixed (say 10 days or 2 weeks). This can be very useful if, at a later date there is a claim with the PRTB. If the problems are not fixed within the stated time, you can make a claim with the PRTB.

Was there a check-in inventory completed and signed by you? - if not, then the landlord has no proof as to when the damage happened and cannot retain any of your deposit for these problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

Take some photos then at least you will have some proof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

photos are proof cos you can't prove when they were taken. If you do take potos email them to your landlord and there's your proof.

Advertisement