Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminid Meteor Shower Dec 13th/14th

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

skymap_big.gif

The Geminid meteor shower peaks on Dec. 13th and 14th. Bright moonlight will interfere with the display, but not obliterate it. Forecasters expect observers with clear skies to see as many as 40 meteors per hour. The best time to look, no matter where you live, is between 10 pm local time on Tuesday, Dec. 13, and sunrise on Wednesday, Dec. 14th. What are the chances there'll be clear skies tonight and tomorrow??

from spaceweather.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Looking fairly good for clear skies both nights but could be showers mostly along the west, pity the moon is so bright these nights. Wrap up cause it'll be bitter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Thanks, I had forgotten all about this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Doesn't look good for a Northwest viewing tonight. This wind and rain is relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

muckish wrote: »
    Doesn't look good for a Northwest viewing tonight. This wind and rain is relentless.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ - indeed

not bad for the rest of us though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Skies are very clear in Waterford for a change :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Skies are very clear in Waterford for a change :D

Yes, stupid clear skies, have to put beer down now and go have a look! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

I saw one earlier in Waterford, just on the outskirts of the city! Didn't think I'd see any with the light pollution and moon..now I'm very tempted to wrap up and find somewhere dark to watch them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone have any look? Not sure if i'm even looking at the right place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

RockPaper wrote: »
    I saw one earlier in Waterford, just on the outskirts of the city! Didn't think I'd see any with the light pollution and moon..now I'm very tempted to wrap up and find somewhere dark to watch them.:)

Lucky you, even with the clear skies, between the moon and the damn street lights I saw nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I was out playing with the new camera and I saw a few, at about 8 to 8.30 last night. No spectacular ones, but nice to see a few from the Geminids again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

ah drat, really got to get me one of those new fangled phones that I can see boards.ie on!!
    Woke up at 4am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep for a while, could have been Geminid spotting!:D double drat !

They should be visible again tonight. Sky is clouding over again here in the Northwest, just in time!

Just back in after a brief 1 hour viewing. Saw about 10-12 meteors:D, so they're still firing tonight. Mainly short meteors and feint, but saw 2 beautiful bright long ones. Don't think I captured any on camera, but will check through the images in the morning. Hot whiskey called for now to warm up.
    Hopefully others on boards will have witnessed some meteors tonight as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Headin out now for a while meself, fully clear out, pity moon so bright. Sister said she seen to really bright ones before while driving so still worth people goin out for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Saw two really bright ones myself earlier, (sitting watching the tv with the lights off and patio doors to the east):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I just saw about 10 in 20 minutes. The cold brought me back in. I love watching natures fireworks. Lovely bright night out.

Advertisement