Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    Met eireann don't have any word of snow tomorrow.

Evelyn just said after the news that there'll be snow in the north tomorrow once the storm passes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks I must check the forecast on rte player once it comes on so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

saw the weather forecast. a war going on between a low and a high :D groovy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Long time lurker, just checking in to say thanks to all for their informative posts, and...Eeek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

redsunset wrote: »
    Yes some snow and blizzard like conditions likely as the storm passes.

Here's the MetOffice forecast

AgE11yKCMAAgmlH.jpg:large

Where do you find this on the Met Office website? Trying to make sense of all the little symbols. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

redsunset wrote: »
    Yes some snow and blizzard like conditions likely as the storm passes.

Here's the MetOffice forecast

AgE11yKCMAAgmlH.jpg:large

Little bit of blue right over my house... Fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evelyn mentioned polar air and lows in the same breath... this made me :D

She also mentioned a fair bit about the storms coming... the one for tomorrow and the one for the beginning of next week, and they made me :eek:

Evelyn lovely forecast.... hat is doffed to you!

Now if someone could come impersonate me at work tomorrow and a couple of days next week i would be very grateful!:cool: <<<<<<might even throw in a pair of shades.. you know ...disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This the same forecaster who said a spell of snow would move South on Friday a few days ago?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

This the same forecaster who said a spell of snow would move South on Friday a few days ago?????

Was that not you?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Can I ask why everyone is obsessed with Evelyn :confused: she doesn't seem to know a lot and smiles with the mention of snow as if she hates it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Looking at those charts it seems there will be nothing - hail, rain or snow, where it really counts.

Dublin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

18Z GFS snowline (metres amsl) and 6-hour accumulated snow (kg/m²) for 12 Z Friday. This has the snowline down to sea level through central Ulster.

6 kg/m² = 6 mm rainfall equivalent (translating to around 12 cm snowfall, assuming a 20:1 liquid water equivalent).

This is about it for snowfall for this period.

184304.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

It's still only the build up.

We're going to be effin obliterated in January. It will make 82 look like a piece of cake.

I'm greasing up the sledge now, and going to start buying in the soup next week. Don't forget the gas cyclinders & torches as well, and the elderly neighbours.

I can't go to sleep at night anymore with excitement (especially thinking of the Evelyn forecasts from the 27th of December onwards). :D

It's still only the build up.

We're going to be effin obliterated in January. It will make 82 look like a piece of cake.

I'm greasing up the sledge now, and going to start buying in the soup next week. Don't forget the gas cyclinders & torches as well, and the elderly neighbours.

I can't go to sleep at night anymore with excitement (especially thinking of the Evelyn forecasts from the 27th of December onwards). :D

What did she say about the 27th onwards? I hope ur rite about jan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

davidsr20 wrote: »

Met always start warning about 4 days ahead of the whiteout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

davidsr20 wrote: »

He means he can't wait to see her forecasts from the 27th onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Am I right in thinking parts of south may see the white stuff in the next few days? ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

jo06555 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking parts of south may see the white stuff in the next few days? ?????
    No chance.. maybe a few showers at best but I hope I'm proved wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

MET UK have re added a snow warning for NI for Friday,
    They also have one for Saturday, but their one for Thursday is still gone.

Not a hope it's the west and nw again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

no,the north & west hogging all the fun again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm dreading the next few days. Downpatrick is a lovely wee town but it's very hilly. This time last year it was like a piste with all the snow and ice, which is fine if you're a skier. But if you're an old person or disabled then it's misery. And heaven help the people out in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Thomas828 wrote: »
    I'm dreading the next few days. Downpatrick is a lovely wee town but it's very hilly. This time last year it was like a piste with all the snow and ice, which is fine if you're a skier. But if you're an old person or disabled then it's misery. And heaven help the people out in the country.

I know it can be a nightmare for some people and make even simple things awkward, but from people living in the snow deprived south... We ENVY ye!! We'll gladly take a few cm's of powder if they're unwanted up there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I know it can be a nightmare for some people and make even simple things awkward, but from people living in the snow deprived south... We ENVY ye!! We'll gladly take a few cm's of powder if they're unwanted up there ;)

Are you for real:confused: You obviously don't have to commute to work regardless then! I do not envy them, I feel for them. We're not all snow maniacs staring out the window doing a snow dance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

It is strange ok...it does get cold in Cork as well but it rarely snows as most of the real cold weather comes from Northerly or Easterly winds which favours Dublin and Belfast especially during the last 3 winters when the Dublin and eastern regions got a massive pounding...c'est la vie I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Hal1 wrote: »
    This is your own opinion? or based on something you read online?

Hi,

Just my gut feeling! I love Snow myself and am like a big kid when it snows, but just have a feeling we won't much at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is strange ok...it does get cold in Cork

Cork is in a weather shadow permanently. MT explained the topography which explains the real existence of a "shield" around Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gbee wrote: »
    Cork is in a weather shadow permanently. MT explained the topography which explains the real existence of a "shield" around Cork.

Drat!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is strange ok...it does get cold in Cork as well but it rarely snows as most of the real cold weather comes from Northerly or Easterly winds which favours Dublin and Belfast especially during the last 3 winters when the Dublin and eastern regions got a massive pounding...c'est la vie I suppose.

You really need a 1947 situation. Arctic cold and high pressure over Scandinavia and low pressure to the southwest pushing up against the bitter air. I think Cork had 2 or 3 memorable snowfalls that year with that set up,with a gale force southeasterly to boot.

I still believe such a situation could develop in January or late December like this. This mobile zonal westerly regime,while it can last for weeks as it has,eventually has to give way to something different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You really need a 1947 situation. Arctic cold and high pressure over Scandinavia and low pressure to the southwest pushing up against the bitter air. I think Cork had 2 or 3 memorable snowfalls that year with that set up,with a gale force southeasterly to boot.

I still believe such a situation could develop in January or late December like this. This mobile zonal westerly regime,while it can last for weeks as it has,eventually has to give way to something different...

Still and all by our standards the last two winters have been very good, great snowfalls on 10 Jan 2010 and 17 December 2010 and plenty other showers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement