Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basics for a Residents Association

Options
  • 11-06-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice to get a residents association up and running. My neighbours and i are finally getting together to organise things in the estate and i was hoping that i could learn a few things from others who may have gone through this process of late.

A few of the initial things that have come to mind that i could do with advice on are:

1. Does the residents association need to be registered with the local town or county council in order to be recognised?
    2. Should tenants be invited to take part or should we only seek to include owner/occupiers or landlords?
    3. Should the builder/developer, who still has not finished the estate be informed of the new residents association?
    4. A fee was paid by most residents, as part of contract finalisation, for the upkeep and maintenance of the estate. This fee went to the builder. If this has not been carried out i.e. upkeep/maintenance, can this fee, or part thereof, be reclaimed?
    5. What rights/responsibilities does a new residents association have?
    6. Can a residents association have any say in the letting policy of a letting agent who is renting out houses within the estate?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

El Camino wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice to get a residents association up and running. My neighbours and i are finally getting together to organise things in the estate and i was hoping that i could learn a few things from others who may have gone through this process of late.

A few of the initial things that have come to mind that i could do with advice on are:

1. Does the residents association need to be registered with the local town or county council in order to be recognised? A residents association has no legal standing. So it can never be a recognised assiciation. So NO you do not have to resister
    2. Should tenants be invited to take part or should we only seek to include owner/occupiers or landlords? Thats up to each residents association to decide but the clue is in the word. Resident not owner.
    3. Should the builder/developer, who still has not finished the estate be informed of the new residents association? You have no legal standing so that has the same relevence of letting him know about an estage wide bridge club.
    4. A fee was paid by most residents, as part of contract finalisation, for the upkeep and maintenance of the estate. This fee went to the builder. If this has not been carried out i.e. upkeep/maintenance, can this fee, or part thereof, be reclaimed? No you have no rights to any money from anybody
    5. What rights/responsibilities does a new residents association have? None your not a legal entity.
    6. Can a residents association have any say in the letting policy of a letting agent who is renting out houses within the estate? No you are a nothing organisation. You have no rights, no responsibilityes and no power do do anything. All you have is goodwill with residents who have likeminded views to work towards common goals.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

responses in bold. A residents assocaition has no pwoer to do anything thats the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fu Manchu

Thanks D3PO. I appreciate that a Residents Association may have little legal powers as you say but they do appear to be recognised by local authorities etc as they are permitted to apply to local councils for certain grants on behalf of the estate or development that they represent.

Has anyone who has been involved in establishing such an association or committee and advice they could share?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've been involved in a Resident's Association. Just contact your local council, let them know who you are, who you represent, and what you are trying to do.

As has been said, you have no legal standing, but are simply a representative group of residents.

You can help develop the area. Any money would be collected by donation only. You have no power to request/demand money.

You have absolutely no say in any letting policy or anything like that.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

El Camino wrote: »

2. Should tenants be invited to take part or should we only seek to include owner/occupiers or landlords?

You should.
    Many tenants take more of an interest in the area and more proactive then owners.
    Like getting the council to clear the wasteground where the local kids go knacker drinking. Or writing to the superintendent on issues like getting garda patrols back.

It's not a management company, it's for residents. And a tenant can do a lot more for you then some landlord owning multiple buy to lets who is never even there

And if you need help or advice on something talk to your local councillor. Many are gombeen wasters but some are fantastic. And it's in their interest too to be involved with local voters ;)

Last thing, I've seen residents associations go around asking for money for barbecues and childrens party out on the green. It's certainly a good idea and you can meet the neighbours.
    But never ever start demanding money or sending around name and shame lists as this has been done by the mother hen busybody :mad:.
    Money is tight and lots don't want to get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

ACRA is the national body for residents associations. Might have some information for you there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement