Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for rental properties around ireland (rural-isj

Options
  • 18-11-2018 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been applying to about 40 different places on daft all around the country.
    Westport, Ballina, Letterkenny, Waterford, Charleville.
    I work remotely so im able to work from anywhere
    Problem is will i have to travel all around the country to do viewings.
    Is this gonna be a pain in the ass ? ie i go view a place in donegal but dont get the place then travel to waterford and mayo. same thing.

any advice or will i just have to bite the bullet and rent an airbnb and travel all-over.

Also i dont suppose people will allow you to rent without viewing ?
    Im looking to rent a 1-2 bed apartment/house for 1 year at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No one will rent to you without a viewing. Seems dodgy.

If location doesnt matter to you, really 100% does not matter, I believe Longford was recently stated as the cheapest place to rent in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Main problem is i dont drive :(
    Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Spunge wrote: »
    Not yet anyway.

Can you pick 2 or 3 places in a town you like the look off and check them out. If that doesn't work then pick a few places in another town another day. even viewing places you can miss issues, renting without viewing could lead to major hassle.

You'll need to check if the towns have decent broadband first for remote working, rural areas will be terrible for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

As above, pick a cheap area and view a heap of properties there on the same day?

thats what im trying to do so far (ballina, castlebar, westport) . could do them in a day or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,491 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Choose an area and focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Make sure that wherever you decide to go has good broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I work remotely so im able to work from anywhere
    If you need decent internets, you'll find you can't work "anywhere", as a lot of places don't have fast internet.

Lots of cheap places won't have good facilities. Word of warning; have had mates move into places where the EA has said that there is super fast broadband, only for my mate to find out that either the internet is slow as hell, or that there isn't even an internet connection, as the previous tenants had used some wireless thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not yet anyway.

That's going to seriously limit where you can live: will need to be within walking (or maybe cycling) distance of everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's going to seriously limit where you can live: will need to be within walking (or maybe cycling) distance of everything you need.

We do have buses etc in Co Mayo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thats what im trying to do so far (ballina, castlebar, westport) . could do them in a day or 2

A great area to choose. My home area.. If you are near Castlebar, for broadband see Westnet and Atlantek.. I am offshore and Westnet is grand. See websites.

If you have queries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Sent you a PM, I was in a similar situation too.

Castlebar has good internet options from 1gb eir and vodafone to virgin cable internet. And it is roughly equal distance from all places I travel for work (mostly Donegal, Dublin & Cork). So while it is small it is a good place to be based.

Not driving will make viewings harder, there are buses here but they are not great for getting around locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Every town like the ones mentioned in the OP will have fast broadband.

Well i booked 3 days in westport and set up about 4 viewings. Places look good to me.
    Anyone any tips.
    I'm going to bring bank statements and work reference, don't have a landlord reference.

Unfortunately i lost my bank card and waiting on it now, as well as my passport so i cant get money for a deposit.

Is it ok to say i'll get back to them and then possibly wire them a deposit if i want the place ? (assuming they want me)

Advertisement