Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scanning printed photographs.

Options
  • 04-11-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice on scanning some original printed photographs.

We have some family photo portraits that have been badly sun damaged and frankly they are probably beyond recovery. The photographer has gone out of business and no longer has the negatives to produce more copies (they were shot on film).

We do however have smaller copies of the photographs and so I am thinking about trying to scan these and then blow them up to the portrait framed size for printing. We are looking at going from a 10 x 8 inch size on the printed copies that we have, scan and then print up to about 16 x 12. They are colour prints.

Would this be possible, and if so, where would anyone recommend that we try?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Try one of the Harvey Norman shops. get 1 photo done and see if you like the result. They will scan, copy and enlarge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

There’s a photography shop in the Omni Shopping Center that redoes photos. My mam is their biggest fan haha. They can fix photos as far as I’m aware. Give them a try and see what they can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Hopefully the smaller photos you have are older prints not made digitally.
    If they are old 100% analog optical/chemical prints (likely if the prints are from before the turn of the century) then there should be plenty of resolution absolve to scan from.
    If they are originally digital, then the more you blow them up, the more visible individual pixels will become.

Photos that are faded can be recovered very well by with a decent scanner by someone who knows what they are doing with it. That would not be a tech at s Harvey Norman.. go to a specialty shop like mentioned above. (If 360dpi is still doing business, they're probably a good bet.)

I used to do scanning and digital restoration for a living up until 2006, and what you need would be possible then, scanners and software have only improved.

There may be issues with anti-copying measures that can meet things up. An experienced tech will be able to tell you be looking at the original carefully.

Good luck!

Advertisement