Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergun help

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭

Looking for help testing out a new Supergun design. I've the PCB finished, about to pull the trigger and order a batch made but would like the firmware to get a hammering as well so have prototype ready for 'field' testing :D

Need someone with a few different Jamma PCB's and a eye for latency :)

I needed a supergun but wasn't impressed with what was available (and some have fundametal design issues IMO) so built my own.

One of the main differences between this and other superguns is in the handling of the audio. Jamma audio output is fully isolated for your boards protection and not shorted to ground...
      Switchable between Mono/Stereo/MVS and Line-in audio
      Intergated kickharness support for 6 button control schemes
      Supports several different controllers types. (Sega Saturn, Sega Megadrive 6-Button, Sega Mastersystem, NES, SNES, PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx, Atari, Playstation and NeoGeo)

I've tested this out with my own boards (Neogeo, Hyper 64, Namco System 11, 60-in-1) and everything works fine but would like to try other boards and other controllers models.
    The prototype is fully cased so not likely to burn down your house or get your pets pregnant etc etc..

It'll be worth your while and being able to use a Saturn controller is simply awesome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do I get to keep the supergun as payment? :pac:

Sounds like a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yes :)

You interested ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love to try it but o1s1n has a vast PCB collection, lets hear the review and then you can sell them to us all!

Master of the Universe

Sounds interesting :)

As long as you can guarantee 100% that none of my boards will be damaged then yeah, feel free to drop by sometime and try a load of them out.

Cool beans..

Ya your boards are safe enough alright, but playing Metal Slug with a 2 button NES controller can be damaging to your sanity :)

• Advertisement

See no smoke :)

8970788781_0dc983c754_b.jpg

Master of the Universe

See no smoke :)

8970788781_0dc983c754_b.jpg

Looks nice!

Reckon you'd be able to wire up an arcade psu?

Ya can do, just need to add another external lead for -5V stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sounds interesting :)

As long as you can guarantee 100% that none of my boards will be damaged then yeah, feel free to drop by sometime and try a load of them out.

I don't think you'll get that guarantee from any system; supergun, cab or otherwise. My advice would be to plug in your cheaper boards first, or the bootlegs. :P

@Last Bandit: That looks slick dude, excellent work. What is the display on top for? Presumably it's RGB SCART out? Does it have or need RGB adjustment pots to alter colour levels? The ability to plug in Saturn and PS1 controllers is great.

Display on top is a voltmeter on the 5V supply, had a few spare so stuck one in but its a bit pointless with the ATX power supply as its not adjustable :)
    Video output is RGB via a SCART plug at the rear, there are pots internally to adjust RGB levels alright if needed.

Yeah Saturn controller is definitely one of the best ever made :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I thought that looked like you'd stuck a voltmeter on top. Brilliant idea. :)

Sounds to be leagues ahead of the last home made supergun I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've a taito BB, load of bootleg horizontal boards and a mvs of you need a hand testing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What do you think you're going to sell these at, when the time comes?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What do you think you're going to sell these at, when the time comes?

Depends on how much the pcbs cost to get made, only building a proto batch so they cost a bit more.
    Rough guessimate would be 100 for the assembled board I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

Depends on how much the pcbs cost to get made, only building a proto batch so they cost a bit more.
    Rough guessimate would be 100 for the assembled board I think.

Keeping an eye on this great work bandit well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Aye. I'd be interested in the first batch to be sure. Have mvs and two jamma pcbs.

Many thanks to O1s1n for letting me experiment with his collection of boards today :)

Happy with the results, just a PSX controller bug to fix and we're good to go :)

Master of the Universe

No worries dude. Nice to see they're all still working :D

Your supergun really is looking great. All the best with it, I can see them going down a treat!

How many superguns does one need to own before one believes he has enough ? :)

Looking forward to this one :D

Maybe I am stocking up for the end of the world. At the end of the world a Supergun could rule!

Added support for 3 button Megadrive and that weird ass Dual Analog PSX controller this morning.

Also noticed a really stupid error on the pcb as well :( Typical, proto pcbs have been manufactured/shipped and then I spot the error...Easy to rework but annoying as hell..

• Advertisement

When are you taking orders :)

And it lives :) Few teething problems, somehow the switch footprint doesn't match the switches I bought so had to improvise a bit. Should all be fixed in the next spin although with new thumb-pots and switches.

9248609731_2a690aa539_b.jpg

Master of the Universe

Fair play man, looking good! You'll have a production line with people assembling these within the year :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What sort of controller ports are they Last Bandit?

Controller ports are D-Sub 15 so Neogeo controllers straight in, but with the relevant adapter cables you can use different console controllers - up to 8 supported now. The chips behind the controller ports does the translation between Jamma and the console controller protocols.

Ya the red boards are worth the extra costs alright :)

What are those kick harness connectors called?
    and where can i buy them?

Those connectors are JST XH, I got them from Farnell .

Finally finished the new version. Couple of minor new features but more or less the same as the original version. Coming soon to a 'for sale' thread near you.....

9573196732_18764418f1_b.jpg

In action with Sega ST-V board, stereo audio taken from board into 'Line-in' jack and kickharness attached (even though I've only 3 button games :) )

9573198894_09bd6f2f22_b.jpg

Advertisement