Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer

Options
  • 15-11-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have had many printers over a short space of time and all were rubbish . Never print when I want them too .
    It does not matter if it's only black and white as long as it's reliable.

What is a good printer that will last ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Get a laser printer most print in black and white only. They cost more than the ordinary colour printers but they use far less ink so you make savings in the long run and you don't have to be constantly replacing the ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Fat Cant

Simmental. wrote: »
    Get a laser printer most print in black and white only. They cost more than the ordinary colour printers but they use far less ink so you make savings in the long run and you don't have to be constantly replacing the ink.

You know any good reliable makes?
    Once it works when I go to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Do you do much printing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Fat Cant wrote: »

Got a HP here since the kids were at college and MG did it go through some amount of paper and ink during these years.

It's got an easier life now but still fires up when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

orm0nd wrote: »
    Got a HP here since the kids were at college and MG did it go through some amount of paper and ink during these years.

It's got an easier life now but still fires up when needed.

I would second that. I have a hp- bought it in tesco. I go through some amount of printing with small lady and work. It’s wireless and works off the phone. Ink is about €17 for black and €20 for color in tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Always HP printers here.

Have a wireless desktop one here which is very handy, print from wherever your working including from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

Fat Cant wrote: »

Seriously? There are a number of decent well know makes in any retail outlet?
    HP/Canon/Epson/Brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

Simmental. wrote: »

+1 on the laser printer.

I'm an engineer in the print industry.
    Although this is the printers I look after:
    https://youtu.be/83TFRRkhq1w

Most issues with deskjets are they are overused and very expensive to keep filled with ink for high volume or else they are not used enough and the print head nozzels get blocked with dried ink. If going for a deskjets for higher print volumes get one where ink is replaceable separate to print heads as ink will be cheaper or for lower volumes get one where printhead is part of cartridge so you never have to worry much about blocked printhead.

But lasers will print a hell of a lot more per toner cartridge (toners will be more expensive to buy but are much better value). Also if a toner is left idle for a long time taking it out of printer and giving it a little shake will revive it. Colour lasers are available too but are more expensive.

As for brands. Ricoh, Xerox, HP, Canon, Brother, Lexmark, Keyrocera for lasers

HP, Canon, or Epson for inkjets

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

+1 on the wireless. Awfully handy printing a movement cert off the phone etc. considering getting a cheap one for the Jeep. Can I power it off the cig lighter?

Something like brother hl-1110 is a black and white only laser printer can print 1000 pages per toner and costs under €80

Has no frills at all but will print reliably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    +1 on the wireless. Awfully handy printing a movement cert off the phone etc. considering getting a cheap one for the Jeep. Can I power it off the cig lighter?

You can buy 12 volt to 220 volt Inverters in Halfords, about 50 euro.

Sacrolyte wrote: »

Yes, use an inverter. There are also very compact inkjets that would suit a car nicely but wouldn't be up to much volume wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

+1 b+w laser, great job
    get toner on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You can buy 12 volt to 220 volt Inverters in Halfords, about 50 euro.

Most printers will draw too much power for the likes of a cheapo Halford inverter, especially any sort of Lazer printer. You'll also probably need a pure sine wave inverter, which will certainly cost alot more than 50e.

My aim in terms of paperwork is to head the total opposite direction ha, and do everything online with the phone where possible, agfood, icbf, herdapp, glanbiaconnect etc, and then for everything else either email or keepnotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I have a a Canon Pixma printer, I must try it in the campervan later and see if it works.
    There is a 300w inverter, and it runs a 14inch TV and a DVD player no problem.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Most printers will draw too much power for the likes of a cheapo Halford inverter, especially any sort of Lazer printer. You'll also probably need a pure sine wave inverter, which will certainly cost alot more than 50e.

My aim in terms of paperwork is to head the total opposite direction ha, and do everything online with the phone where possible, agfood, icbf, herdapp, glanbiaconnect etc, and then for everything else either email or keepnotes.

Certainly wouldn't drive a laser printer, but I have used small deskjets this way. Some portable printers even have car psu's as an option and some even have laptop style batteries.

The inverter and laser printer sugestions were suggestions for 2 different posters.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I have a a Canon Pixma printer, I must try it in the campervan later and see if it works.
    There is a 300w inverter, and it runs a 14inch TV and a DVD player no problem.

Your pixima probably will draw less than 15W, you'll be fine. A laser printer on the other hand has a halogen lamp inside to melt the toner and fuse it to the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Got this printer last year, printed about 2000 pages before I had to replace the black toner.

https://www.costpercopy.ie/brother-colour-laser-printers/brother-hl-3140cw-wireless-a4-colour-laser-printer

Find it a good printer and can also print from the phone to it via Wifi.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If buying an inkjet don’t look at the price of the printer, look at the price of the cartridges

If buying an inkjet don’t look at the price of the printer, look at the price of the cartridges

If very low usage I'd agree (where ink is more likely to go off than run out). But for higher usage you need to compare capacity as well as price. Sometimes the cheapest to buy is far from the cheapest to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

running 5/6 brother inject printers here.

Retired one here last year to a spare deck Slightly over 100K pages and that brother HL2030 was €89/99 .

Brother HL 2350DW replaced it and flying along proabably 10K pages gone through it and only got ink .

running 5/6 brother inject printers here.

Retired one here last year to a spare deck Slightly over 100K pages and that brother HL2030 was €89/99 .

Brother HL 2350DW replaced it and flying along proabably 10K pages gone through it and only got ink .

Thats nothing retired 2 IBM laser printers this year with 35,000,000 pages gone through!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Question here: how to delete job status report from Dell 2135cn MFP laser printer or how to get to service menu ? I want to sell that printer.

Thanks

Advertisement