Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/3 of Britons have reduced/stopped eating meat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Good to see people are also (at long last) getting concerned about plastic and pesticides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's good that there is more training going on, a lot of people are vegan that have turned their hand to cooking but it would be nice to see more professionally trained chefs. Same with cheese making etc, a lot o fit is companies just trying to make some stuff and sell it, I'd like to see what non-vegan cheese companies come up with. That's started happening recently with a UK cheese manufacturer now releasing their own vegan cheese in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd like to see what non-vegan cheese companies come up with. That's started happening recently with a UK cheese manufacturer now releasing their own vegan cheese in January.

I don't see that as a positive, "vegan cheese" sounds like it would be horribly over processed fake food. I don't want my food made by chemists

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

While I've said before about there being no real 'need' for vegan cheese, I am in favour of more minds being brought to bear upon the whole world of vegan cooking, food creation and catering. There's a lot to explore and a long way to go.

• Advertisement

Should there be a tax on red meat?
    The high levels of land and water use and carbon emissions associated with its production mean cutting down is one of the key ways individuals can help tackle climate change.

Tax is one way. Eliminating subsidies on meat and dairy production would be an additional way, one which much more comprehensively tackled the problems associated with those industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Should there be a tax on red meat?Tax is one way. Eliminating subsidies on meat and dairy production would be an additional way, one which much more comprehensively tackled the problems associated with those industries.

Considering that fossil fuels and transport remain the number one cause of greenhouse gas production - some of these vegan ideas come across simply as using any excuse to promote veganism and attack agricultural production - which by the way also includes large subsidies for arable and horticultural produce.

I have an idea lets remove all subsidies and tax all foods so that everyone of us can feel good that their chosen lifestyle is being promoted equally or not as the case may be ...

Edit:
    Interesting article here
    https://theconversation.com/yes-eating-meat-affects-the-environment-but-cows-are-not-killing-the-climate-94968

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

gozunda wrote: »
    Considering that fossil fuels and transport remain the number one cause of greenhouse gas production - some of these vegan ideas come across simply as using any excuse to promote veganism and attack agricultural production - which by the way also includes large subsidies for arable and horticultural produce.

I have an idea lets remove all subsidies and tax all foods so that everyone of us can feel good that their chosen lifestyle is being promoted equally or not as the case may be ...

Edit:
    Interesting article here
    https://theconversation.com/yes-eating-meat-affects-the-environment-but-cows-are-not-killing-the-climate-94968

Yes, but that is N E V E R going to happen so, may as well tax the stuff thats killing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes, but that is N E V E R going to happen so, may as well tax the stuff thats killing us.

Yup cars are definitly killing us :pac:

As part of a balanced diet there's plenty to support that meat is good for us

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-red-meat-bad-for-you-or-good#section7

It's still somewhat hypocritical though to ignore the bigger issue there just cos some dont like meat imo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I take it OP you'd support a higher tax on organic food production due to it's higher carbon footprint than conventional production methods?

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    I take it OP you'd support a higher tax on organic food production due to it's higher carbon footprint than conventional production methods?

The OP would support taxing organics? There was simply a link to a Guardian article.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The OP would support taxing organics? There was simply a link to a Guardian article.

If green house gases were the primary concern. Organic veg production produces more than conventional production. A proportional tax on projected carbon footprint rather than exclusively meat would be the logical way to do it.

jh79 wrote: »
    If green house gases were the primary concern. Organic veg production produces more than conventional production. A proportional tax on projected carbon footprint rather than exclusively meat would be the logical way to do it.

If what you say is true, you’d have to produce verifiable, independent and trustworthy figures, especially given the oft-quoted “10 fossil fuel calories in/one calorie of food out” postulation applied to pesticide-based farming.

Whatever the driver of climate disruption, the best way to deal with greenhouse gases would be a simple top-down approach, such as TEQs, a method recently discussed by the Europen parliament.

This thread has gone off-topic, it seems to me. I don’t think the OP was focussing on climate. It would be better discussing that aspect in the farmers’ section.

Advertisement