Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees when buying & selling house

Options
  • 23-05-2018 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I think this is the right forum but please move if wrong.

What's the average price for solicitor fees when buying & selling a house?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I was quoted 1 .5 percent the other day I'm out near westmeath tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I was quoted 1 .5 percent the other day I'm out near westmeath tho

1.5% of which though when buying & selling?
    or 1.5% of the total sell price plus purchase price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Between €1,250-2000 (ex vat) fixed fee plus any additional s such as land registry, searches, etc is more typical I would think these days.
    I would not be doing it on a percentage basis unless it worked out cheaper than the figures above.  It might pay to go further afield, you will only have 1-2 trips into the solicitors office under any normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

First thing first, try to get a recommendation for a reliable and accessible solicitor. Buying and selling can be very stressful and the quality of your solicitor will either lessen or exacerbate this.

Based on doing this some years ago I would guess a combined estimate in the region of €2400-€3500 + VAT + registration/search fees +expenses incurred. Ballpark total in the region of €5000 for buying and selling. But whatever the charge, they will be very dear if they are unresponsive, inaccessible when needed, or less than helpful for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sophfudge

my solicitor in cork is charging €1,500 plus any additional charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I wouldn't work with a percentage, its the same work for them regardless the price the property sells for.

When selling a property in 2016 in Dublin we paid
    Professional fees €800 plus VAT of €184
    Disbursements of €213
    Total: €1,197.00

When buying a property in Dublin at the same time we paid
    Professional fees €800 plus VAT of €184.00
    Disbursements €930.00
    Other charges €100.00 plus VAT €18.70
    Total: €2,032.70

I've no doubt the professional fees would have been higher if we had just been buying/selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

I have been quoted 1% of value of house. Solicitor has deeds to house already. I am thinking it is on the high side. Is there any point haggling with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

Many banks offer to pay legal fees when taking out a mortgage, I think 2k is the figure offered from most banks.
    If you can negotiate a fee below this figure then you can pocket the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

No mortgage on house and not buying another. I think it is a bit saucy

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mskimee

Just to piggy back on here for a second. I’m buying a house and I’m told it’s standard to pay the sellers legal fee (minus the extra bits).
    Is this normal? And what price is it usually? Would this be part of my solicitors flat rate? We are paying about €5000 all in (including 2,200 stamp duty).
    Any light on this would be great. We are buying off family so I don’t mans paying just want to know what price to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have been quoted 1% of value of house. Solicitor has deeds to house already. I am thinking it is on the high side. Is there any point haggling with them?

You can haggle with every service provider and only agree to pay what you are happy with.

At the end of the day a solicitor is no different than a painter or any other tradesman, they provide a service you pay for and if you're not happy with an individual there are plenty others out there who will be happy with your custom.

It seems to be an Irish trait that whatever a solicitor says is the last word, it's not.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I used some one in athlone. He was great. A lot less than the 1.5% quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Mskimee wrote: »
    Just to piggy back on here for a second. I’m buying a house and I’m told it’s standard to pay the sellers legal fee (minus the extra bits).

They're chancing their arm, this isn't normal or standard at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

frash wrote: »
    Hi there,

I think this is the right forum but please move if wrong.

What's the average price for solicitor fees when buying & selling a house?

Thanks.
    1,25 % plus vat. Suburbs Dublin
    Selling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Mskimee wrote: »
    Is this normal? And what price is it usually? Would this be part of my solicitors flat rate? We are paying about €5000 all in (including 2,200 stamp duty).
    Any light on this would be great. We are buying off family so I don’t mans paying just want to know what price to expect.

Thats not in the least bit normal to be asked to pay the sellers legal fees!

In this case there "might" be an argument as you are buying off family (perhaps at a slightly better price than on the open market).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The boom is most definitely back if solicitors are charging a percentage of the transaction cost as their fee!

Has everyone read the initial post correctly? The OP is looking for guidance on the solicitor fees. These generally (for the last number of years) are not a percentage of the buying/selling price but a fixed professional fee (subject to VAT) advised before agreement to engage is made, as well as a number of fees on top of that (depending on whether you are selling or buying)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mskimee

Moonjet wrote: »
    They're chancing their arm, this isn't normal or standard at all.

Kinda thought that, but we are buying from family so i don't mind having to pay their fee if it's not too high. Its just the professional fee they are looking for (minus all the extra bits).

I'm assuming it's the same as the buyers fee roughLy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Are you using the same solicitor as the current owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Are you using the same solicitor as the current owners?

I would hope not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I paid 4,500 including everything except stamp duty for a purchase and sale in Dublin very recently. My advice: don't choose based on price and don't go with friends / family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

3DataModem wrote: »
    I paid 4,500 including everything except stamp duty for a purchase and sale in Dublin very recently. My advice: don't choose based on price and don't go with friends / family.

Seems expensive. What was the professional fee for buying and selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Seems expensive. What was the professional fee for buying and selling?

We agreed an all-in fee of 4500 beforehand, so no breakdown. Two buyers fell through so three sets of sale contracts were issued. Price not affected.

Advertisement