Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From NBI:
    2. Underground connection.
    If an overhead connection is not possible or you already
    have some suitable underground ducting installed at
    your property then the engineer may install the cable
    underground (Including unblocking ducting if necessary).
    Once this is agreed, the engineer will discuss
    with you where you would like the cable to enter
    your home to connect to your modem.

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Cable-Information-Sheet.pdf

they appear to be taking a more flexible approach to Eir who will walk away if the duct is unblocked and roped.
    I'd err on the side of caution though and have as much work done as possible in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

If anyone else in Wicklow is interested...

The Wicklow County Council broadband officer's email address is bdo@wicklowcoco.ie

NOT what is mentioned here...

https://assets.gov.ie/3908/061218122032-88ceac03820f4db6b6807c6178f5c2b4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

user1842 wrote: »
    Those poles look in good shape :)

Better than the road anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

kaizersoze wrote: »
    From NBI:

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Cable-Information-Sheet.pdf

they appear to be taking a more flexible approach to Eir who will walk away if the duct is unblocked and roped.
    I'd err on the side of caution though and have as much work done as possible in advance.

Thanks kaiser.. i presume you meant to say that Eir will walk away if the duct is blocked ?

So if a duct is present they'll try use it, including unblocking. If no duct present, and overhead not possible then it would make sense for homeowner to have a new duct done before they arrive, as I expect providing new ducting will not be within their remit.
    In any case making access easy for them would be advisable if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Is there any way to find out how many premises are in the Cork-Mahon deployment area? I’ll be shocked but impressed if they manage to complete the rollout by June at this stage. I haven’t seen any vans around Mahon/Ballintemple or Passage/Monkstown in ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Anyone still waiting for DCCAE to add their property to an NBI intervention area? I was expecting news by the end of March and nothing to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

My Eircode updated this evening on the NBI website.
    It was showing go live of Jan-May 2021.

It’s now showing as go live of 04-05-2021.

Countdown is on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

trant wrote: »
    Anyone still waiting for DCCAE to add their property to an NBI intervention area? I was expecting news by the end of March and nothing to date.

Yep! But I am building a house so it's a brand new eircode. I got confirmation off DCCAE that I was in the intervention zone and its their website so I'm not panicking yet, as I'm only hoping to move in during the summer.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Some new wording on the NBI rollout plan page...
    We recognise that citizens and communities want to know when connectivity on the NBI network will be possible. Therefore, we publish our deployment plans on a rolling 24 month basis. Our website (www.nbi.ie) is updated to reflect the progress and provide indicative timelines on survey, design and go-live dates at an individual Eircode level.

NBI continues to operate in an extremely unpredictable COVID-19 environment which is creating some challenges for the survey and build elements of the project, and as a result, we are not able to publish deployment plans beyond the 24 month time horizon, at this time. However, we remain fully committed to deploying the infrastructure within the planned 7 years.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

akasudonim wrote: »
    Thanks kaiser.. i presume you meant to say that Eir will walk away if the duct is blocked ?

So if a duct is present they'll try use it, including unblocking. If no duct present, and overhead not possible then it would make sense for homeowner to have a new duct done before they arrive, as I expect providing new ducting will not be within their remit.
    In any case making access easy for them would be advisable if possible.

Yes. Sorry. I meant to say they would walk away if the duct isn't unblocked and roped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Update to nbi website indicates my live date is now the 4th May 2021, but digiweb messaged me this morning saying saying nbi servies are now available to order. No other provider i've contacted mentions being able to order or even give me a date to order

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Digiweb take preorders about 60 days before the go live date.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Update to nbi website indicates my live date is now the 4th May 2021, but digiweb messaged me this morning saying saying nbi servies are now available to order. No other provider i've contacted mentions being able to order or even give me a date to order

We take orders upto about 30 days from confirmed go live dates (in your case 04/05/21). Orders are then placed as soon as service becomes available to secure priority installation.

Cavan Eircodes previously listed as go live date 01.04.21 updated early this morning to "available to order"

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cavan Eircodes previously listed as go live date 01.04.21 updated early this morning to "available to order"

baz9375, Would you be able to post a timeline of events from survey time until you saw the above, ducting, DP install, hanging fibre etc. I know each install for everyone will be different of course. Apologies if you've already done this. Cheers.

baz9375, Would you be able to post a timeline of events from survey time until you saw the above, ducting, DP install, hanging fibre etc. I know each install for everyone will be different of course. Apologies if you've already done this. Cheers.

Was going do this once I get connected but I'll have a look back over my posts this evening and do up a timeline for all so far...

Edit. The Eircode on previous post isnt my own. My own Eircode is showing as go live date as 04-05-21.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

The interesting thing about that location in Cavan going live is that it's on a mountain called Slieve Glah that is serviced by fixed wireless/WISP masts, myself included, hoping it will start freeing up the contention for me in the mean time, it's the least I can hope for with no survey yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Tuesday's Oireachtas Committee meeting

with Hildegarde Naughton (JM @ DECC)

https://www.oireachtas.ie/hourly/#
    CR3 @17:00 30/03/2021

main bit starts at 28 mins.
    • Minister (Ryan) working on possible acceleration, and sorting out of planning permission problems with TII and LAs
    • There has been "significant engagement" with LAs and their CEOs
    • Eamon Ryan will be writing to NBI re acceleration
    • New estimate of 60,000 premises in 17 DAs by end 2021 across counties Cork, Cavan,Galway, Limerick, Kerry Wexford, Wicklow Monaghan, Roscommon, Carlow, Tipperary, Louth, Mayo, Sligo.*
    • Re: Interim solutions - Discussion “ongoing” with other operators about interim solutions.

* Current roll-out schedule is showing 23 deployment areas under build currently.

Adriatic wrote: »
    The interesting thing about that location in Cavan going live is that it's on a mountain called Slieve Glah that is serviced by fixed wireless/WISP masts, myself included, hoping it will start freeing up the contention for me in the mean time, it's the least I can hope for with no survey yet.

Arden broadband now have signs up in that area (Crosskeys/Cavan road) advising that NBI/Fibre broadband is available.

I'd say Arden will try to migrate existing customers from their WISP service to FTTH which will free up capacity.

Net1 and Imagine have masts on Slive Glah also. I'm sure Net1 will also offer FTTH to their existing WISP customers and I'm sure a percentage of Imagine customers will order FTTH elsewhere once they know it's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

baz9375 wrote: »
    Arden broadband now have signs up in that area (Crosskeys/Cavan road) advising that NBI/Fibre broadband is available.

I'd say Arden will try to migrate existing customers from their WISP service to FTTH which will free up capacity.

Net1 and Imagine have masts on Slive Glah also. I'm sure Net1 will also offer FTTH to their existing WISP customers and I'm sure a percentage of Imagine customers will order FTTH elsewhere once they know it's available.

still waiting on a date for when sky / vodafone will go live with there nbi packages, only register interest is available atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

clohamon wrote: »
    Tuesday's Oireachtas Committee meeting

with Hildegarde Naughton (JM @ DECC)

https://www.oireachtas.ie/hourly/#
    CR3 @17:00 30/03/2021

main bit starts at 28 mins.
    • Minister (Ryan) working on possible acceleration, and sorting out of planning permission problems with TII and LAs
    • There has been "significant engagement" with LAs and their CEOs
    • Eamon Ryan will be writing to NBI re acceleration
    • New estimate of 60,000 premises in 17 DAs by end 2021 across counties Cork, Cavan,Galway, Limerick, Kerry Wexford, Wicklow Monaghan, Roscommon, Carlow, Tipperary, Louth, Mayo, Sligo.*
    • Re: Interim solutions - Discussion “ongoing” with other operators about interim solutions.

* Current roll-out schedule is showing 23 deployment areas under build currently.

Presumably what is needed to speed up the build is more skilled people, which I doubt we have currently. I wonder would they look at drafting in some crews from the UK or the continent (in a similar fashion when the ESB have sent crews abroad in the past to help out after a major storm).

Hi everyone, new to this thread. Having done nothing more than glance at NBI news in the papers for the last few years (like most Dubs), I’m now actively interested given I’ve just gone sale agreed on a property in Co Sligo. It’s in an intervention area according to the NBI website but surveying yet to commence

Can anyone tell me, by virtue of being in an intervention area, does that imply a commitment of being surveyed and then connected within a certain timescale? Or is it open ended?

And, second, someone a few posts ago asked there could be posted a timeline of the steps in this process. Might be good to have a thread to show nothing but people’s experiences - just their township and the time taken to move through each stage.

I just have no concept of what to expect here (though fully accepting of satellite broadband for potentially a prolonged period)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Can anyone tell me, by virtue of being in an intervention area, does that imply a commitment of being surveyed and then connected within a certain timescale? Or is it open ended?
    Yes. The overall plan has another 6 years to complete, according to contract. The order of completion of specific deployment areas is not certain. The NBI website is indicative for the next two years.

And, second, someone a few posts ago asked there could be posted a timeline of the steps in this process. Might be good to have a thread to show nothing but people’s experiences - just their township and the time taken to move through each stage.

Build process
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116418735&postcount=2440
    (see attachment)

Schedule
    There could be a year between Survey and Build. eg
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116702521&postcount=2716

Abbreviations
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116521419&postcount=2568

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Anyone know what impact (if any at all) the global chip shortage is having on the plan? The Australian National Broadband Network has had to stop connecting customers due to shortages of modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Anyone know what impact (if any at all) the global chip shortage is having on the plan? The Australian National Broadband Network has had to stop connecting customers due to shortages of modems.

What hardware is Australian using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭wassie

The modems referred to are typically an Arris CM820 or an Arris CM8200 for connection to their NBN via Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC).

The Aussie NBN is made up of “Multi-Technology Mix”, with the majority of connections being FTTH or FTTC. The smaller HFC NBN offering is a legacy solution that capitalises on the existing hybrid fibre-coaxial network, which was originally built to provide cable pay TV services (like Sky), but now used to deliver broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

Just an update from outside Monaghan Town.

We were surveyed in July 2020. Not much movement since then til January when trees close to the poles were cut.

Over the past month there has been a lot activity, including bringing the Fibre out on the poles and installation of DP’s

Photos show
    Existing poles with copper wire (thick line) Fibre line (thin line)
    DP on a pole
    DP still to be finished located underground, with the manhole cover exposed

Currently down for July to September so fingers crossed all goes to plan

Advertisement