Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror Movies

Options
12345679»

Comments

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Come on, why is the movie I posted in question? I even put the trailer in the post... YES, the MIST, the NEWEST version, not the old one... Not THE FOG... Not THE FOG REMAKE...

The Mist - Remake, Adaptation, whatever you want to call it - I simply said remake - If thats not accurate I don't really care, all I posted was a recommendation to the bloke looking for a supernatural Horror and that was the first thing that sprang to mind, even if it's not about ghosts, demons and the likes as per his/her post.

No one was looking to start an argument just point out that the Mist is not a remake of any film. It is an original adaptation of a novella. Calling it a remake slightly cheapens peoples expectations of it as the current mood that all horror remakes are cheaply cash ins intended to make a quick buck off of brand recognition and as such if people think the Mist is a remake they may avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched Martyrs at the weekend for the first time.

Holy crap, it was intense stuff. Thing is I thought it was excellent. A film of two halves really, the acting was excellent, as was the direction and the extreme violence for the most part, seemed totally justified.

It was an exhausting experience watching it but I will watch it again. A very well crafted and told story, it bordered on ultra violence for the sake of it in the second half, but on reflection it was justified for reasons I wont go in to to avoid spoilers.

Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I watched Martyrs on the 'horror channel' recently - was it heavily cut? It wasnt nearly as shocking as I thought it would be so I'm assuming it was?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched Martyrs on the 'horror channel' recently - was it heavily cut? It wasnt nearly as shocking as I thought it would be so I'm assuming it was?

Films are generally cut to ribbons on those channels. SyFy is another channel guilty of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭jh79

Horror channel was un-cut I think, didn't watch it all as I'd already seen it. But they would have shown the bbfc approved version. They even showed the Sinful Dwarf & Blood Sucking Freaks uncut neither of which have bbfc approved versions so can't see why they would censor a perfectly legal film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The Hills Have Eyes 1&2 from the eighties they were scary enough. Didn't like the remakes. Slumber Party Massacre another eighties horror flick will also give you a good scare. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunjabisex

Honestly,I freaked out when I watched"mirrors"and"exorcism of emily rose",it's so freaking scary!so,if you didn't watch those movies,watch it...you may be afraid a little bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check out The Horror Channel tonight - great doc about the video nasties controversy 10.55/11.55pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

I've seen all the top horror films and I must say Insidious is probably the scariest one I've seen, so many people disagree but that's just because ghostly things really scare me! :P defiantely worth a watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I had such high hopes for Insidious. Thought it was awful. Nearly fell asleep during it, it was so boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Paranormal Activity and PA2 were creepy, but the third one downright scared me. The best of the 3 movies by far, haven't been that unnerved watching something in the cinema in literally 6 or 7 years.

Insidious was fantastic at the start but turned into a bit of a joke about half or 2/3 of the way through. Incredibly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sillybeggar

Haunting in Connecticut excellent stuff the documentary only ,As the film is very poor to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

There are two things I look for in every house I'm in, a bookshelf which isn't simply full of the latest Dan Brown trash and a copy of the Wicker Man in the DVD collection. It's quite simply the greatest horror film ever made, it creates such a constant sense of growing dread and fear and features one of the finest performances ever delivered. Edward Woodward is absolutely astounding in the central role, that they saw fit to cast Nicholas Cage in the role in the remake shows how little respect they had for the original.

Love the original Wicker Man. I know the remake wasn't even trying to capture the magic of the original, but I have to say it is a guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I had such high hopes for Insidious. Thought it was awful. Nearly fell asleep during it, it was so boring.

High hopes is exactly it. I still maintain the very first Saw film is an extremely smart little movie and so very well put together and since then I've been keen to see anything from James Wan.

Dead Silence and The Conjuring are two of the handful of post 2000 horror films I hold in any regard and Death Sentence was alright but Insidious just turned into a mess. Such a great premise and a fantastic ghoul to boot but then he just showed way too many hands in succession and it fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Incideous would have been alright if it didn't degrade into a comical farce halfway through... Seriously, was enjoying the film and then it hit a certain point and people basically resorted to laughing all the way through at it because it just turned 180 degree's from an attempted Horror to a horrendously, utterly, pathetically stupid comical mess.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

excellent summary, the final third was laughable a total farce

wonder will the sequel redeem it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i watched cannibal holocaust last night after having it for ages.
    i would be slow to recommend it to be honest.for me the only reason i watched it was because it was banned in something like 40 countries and i wanted to see what the fuss was about.
    ill give it one thing,it looked bloody real and apparently a lot of it was.

but if someone could answer this for me.the documentary makers that went into the jungle and went missing.did they start killing/burning tribes people because they were walking for days in the jungle and went mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭jh79

They did it to try to make the doc more sensational, they intended to edit it to make it look like a rival tribe did it.

The plot was inspired by the Mondo movies in the which the "documentary" makers staged scenes to paint the natives as savages.

Advertisement