Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What modern films will become classics? **NO LISTING**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Whitnail and I.

Surely has already acquired classic status?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

[

Whitnail and I.

Surely has already acquired classic status?[/Quote]

Absolutely ,yes; but how could you not mention! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Artificial intelligence.....Air Force One....Vertical Limit....Salt.....Limitless.....Troy

vg82172_k77620_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 M.O.L.

PaulieC wrote: »
    vg82172_k77620_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Where did my post go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

M.O.L. wrote: »
    Where did my post go?
    The depths of hell, where it belongs.

• Advertisement

The depths of hell, where it belongs.

All of those films will turn into classics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All of those films will turn into classics.

They most certainly won't. And your post was deleted for listing without giving reasons for your choices.

They most certainly won't. And your post was deleted for listing without giving reasons for your choices.

How exactly would you know are you a film critic ? I highly doubt it. And ye expect me to give a reason for nearly a hundred movies.... Absurd moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭blue note

The Social Network - very much a film of it's time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How exactly would you know are you a film critic ? I highly doubt it. And ye expect me to give a reason for nearly a hundred movies.... Absurd moderating.

I didn't delete the post, another moderator did, in line with the charter. And yes, we do encourage quality of posting rather than quantity. You simply posted a list of films, many of which are widely despised by both critics and audience. If you're not willing to explain why you picked them, then this forum isn't for you.

• Advertisement

It's a discussion site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The intent is to discuss what movies will be revered as classics in 60 years time in the way that people see Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life etc.

e.g. Ask the man on the street in 60 years time to name a movie from the 90's or 00's I don't think Air Force One would be on the tip of his tongue :pac: or maybe it might, just explain why you think it might be.

I didn't delete the post, another moderator did, in line with the charter. And yes, we do encourage quality of posting rather than quantity. You simply posted a list of films, many of which are widely despised by both critics and audience. If you're not willing to explain why you picked them, then this forum isn't for you.

You obviously have no taste in cinema.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    The intent is to discuss what movies will be revered as classics in 60 years time in the way that people see Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life etc.

e.g. Ask the man on the street in 60 years time to name a movie from the 90's or 00's I don't think Air Force One would be on the tip of his tongue :pac: or maybe it might, just explain why you think it might be.

Get off my plane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJMxtvm-O5s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

You obviously have no taste in cinema.

The point is not whether your own cinematic tastes match his, the point is that you didn't pay attention to the very clearly highlighted rule of the forum; *NO LISTING*. I registered it quickly enough :pac:

M.O.L banned from films for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

M.O.L banned from films for obvious reasons.

Aaaw: let him play! I didn't get that you had to write why either; thought you could post and it would be obvious when you saw them!!!

Thou I totally Agee with you about air force one ! ( does that even exist!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm thinking that "Oldboy" will become a classic in foreign film circles. It's just one of those films that seems to get more and more jawdropping each time you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm thinking that "Oldboy" will become a classic in foreign film circles. It's just one of those films that seems to get more and more jawdropping each time you see it.

Good call.

Exceptional film. Can't believe Hollywood are going to remake it. Absolute joke.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

How do you mean? They've been doing remakes since the very beginning. Some directors have remade their own films. I don't get when people get their knickers in a twist over stuff like that :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The thing that bothers me more is the people who loved Oldboy but ignore the other 2 movies in the trilogy which for my money are even more provocative and thoughtful. Oldboy is great though the plot is very A-B and it makes more concessions towards a mainstream audience than something like Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (which is even more deeply sad, harrowing and blackly comic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

How on earth are they going to remake that film for an American audience? I just don't see it.

I didn't really like Oldboy. There is some potent imagery in it and the twist was surprisingly clever but I cringe a bit when people call it one of the best foreign films of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Sin City possibly because of the way it was shot. Hopefully Shutter Island aswell, another in a long list scorsese classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Brendog wrote: »
    A Serbian Film
    I've heard nothing but great things about this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

e_e wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me more is the people who loved Oldboy but ignore the other 2 movies in the trilogy which for my money are even more provocative and thoughtful. Oldboy is great though the plot is very A-B and it makes more concessions towards a mainstream audience than something like Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (which is even more deeply sad, harrowing and blackly comic).

I've seen both of them too. :D Still think OldBoy wins for me followed closely by Lady Vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Sin City possibly because of the way it was shot. Hopefully Shutter Island aswell, another in a long list scorsese classics
    I wouldn't think Shutter Island will tbh - The Departed most certainly will though imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Interesting, with Lost in Translation & The Social Network getting mentions as they fall into my most hated category.

There Will be Blood is my choice, I believe it already is a classic, it has everything.
    Many other films like The Departed or The Prestige that come close but don't quite hit all the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

What an absolutely brilliant thread! How is this not a sticky?!

I'd like to add Into The Wild onto the list. Great story and the most amazing soundtrack from Eddie Vedder that elevates the film to another level. Stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 downsouth

The Social Network - the way it depicts the link between friendship at it's most base level and the largest technological phenomenon since the advent of the PC is beautiful.
    Almost Famous - simply brilliant - the acting, the music, the photography, the sentiment and the ensemble.
    Little Miss Sunshine - Most outstanding depiction of family life on film in the last 30 year (in Western cinema). Some of the scenes and dialogue are breath-taking.

• Advertisement

I'm going to add Drive to the list. I think this will be something that the people of tomorrow will still watch. I din't actually enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but I really appreciated the art in it. Does that make any sense?

Advertisement