Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Would someone mind explaining Marianne's family dynamic to me? I know Lorraine said her mother was a bit odd but do we have idea idea why her mother is so cold and her brother treats her so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just the ending I expected. Uneventful, like pretty much the entire series. I can see how some people would be totes emosh at the finale, but it was sign-posted early on and ended abruptly then.

Now I know I will evoke the rage of the fans that can't see anyone else's opinion on the show, but to me it meandered along, crescendoed for the suicide episode and reverted back to type thereafter. As someone mentioned before, they sort of just dumped scenes here and there of the brother being nasty and abusive towards Marriane without any insight or development as to why. Same goes with the mammy-why was she giving them all a cold shoulder at the end there?

Genuinely think it wouldn't have the same high rating if it wasn't based in Ireland and on Netflix instead.

Shout out to RTE as well for pretty giving away the entire upcoming plot in every trailer they showed. As professional as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

My take on it is that the brother took over the mantle of violent male in the house from his father. The mother was beaten by her husband and I wonder if she is intimidated by her son? Lorraine was being as tactful as she could when she described her as a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It was just brilliant. So much to love, but Paul Mescal’s performance is extraordinary throughout. I can see why it has been so successful and garner an international audience while being authentically Irish. Fair play to all involved.

I think a follow up would ruin it, but if someone wanted to make a movie on it I’d certainly give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

I'd like to see a sequel but not until they're 30 or so. I hope everyone involved resists the temptation to make a second series in the next year or two. I fear it'd jump the shark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Conal’s anxiety would be more problematic In NY with the virus and the race tensions and that’s before he has to buy fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Thargor wrote: »
    You started watching the final 2 episodes?

Yes. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Watching episode 7 at the moment. Connall may have been a little unreasonable when Jamie was trying to emphatise with him over his mugging. And he was right too, the guy who mugged him was going to shove the cash straight up his nose so to speak.

your not going to be to friendly with the lad who is currently intimate with the girl you love not to mention the fact that he was making moves on her while they were together

fergus1001 wrote: »
    your not going to be to friendly with the lad who is currently intimate with the girl you love not to mention the fact that he was making moves on her while they were together

Thats true. I kind of thought it was ironic though because Jamie did seem to genuinely sympathise with him at that moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The closing scene was beautiful. The two of them were never as close as at that moment, even though they were talking about being apart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hrududu wrote: »
    I watched episodes 9 and 10 last night on the BBC. Both were a tough watch and really showcased the acting of the leads. Marianne said before that her father never hit her, whether thats true or not is up for debate. But living in that house has reverberated down through her life. Would she really be suggesting a submissive/dominating relationship if she didn't have the childhood she had?

And Connell after Rob's suicide was heartbreaking. The scene in the counsellors office where you could see him trying to keep it together as long as he could was excellent. The scene where he went to the funeral and Rob's dad shook his hand and kept saying "Good man Connell, I hear you're doing great things in Trinity." Was so realistic it was rough. I think we've all gone up to shake hands and someone in the family has said some pleasantry, but you can see them reeling. Its the little things like that that.

I felt bad for poor old Helen. She could never compete.

Derek's still a dick though.

My interpretation was that the father battered the mother and the son but never laid a hand on Marianne, leading to this perennial resentment Alan has of her as the untouchable golden child and Marianne's survivor's guilt making her feel she deserved punishment and her penchant for physically abusive lovers. It's just missing the older-man angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Tork wrote: »
    My take on it is that the brother took over the mantle of violent male in the house from his father. The mother was beaten by her husband and I wonder if she is intimidated by her son? Lorraine was being as tactful as she could when she described her as a bit odd.

Just out of interest, to those who've read the book, was this issue explored in more detail there?

I felt this part of the storyline was not portrayed very effectively in the series.
    Brother was borderline psychotic at times with a seething and sometimes violent resentment toward this sister. We got very little background to his motivation.

On the whole, I felt this petered out after the first few episodes, which were very good. It didn't warrant 12 episodes imo. 8 would probably have covered it.
    The depression/anxiety aspect felt overwrought to me.

A combination of lengthy sex scenes in an Irish locale combined with lockdown (and not many new big releases in the entertainment world) definitely helped to catch the public attention.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hrududu wrote: »
    I finished it last night. My one issue with the show is that 'the villains' just weren't fleshed out enough. Everyone else got a lovely nuanced character. We could see why they behaved how they behaved. But Jamie was just a dick, no explanation. Marianne's brother was almost cartoonish in how much of a dick he was.

Other than that, no complaints. I loved the show. Thought it was really well done and enjoyed (sometimes not enjoyed but suffered with) the characters.

100% this, the mother and brother were just colour by numbers "bad people" which is somewhat undoes the good work in the excellently written mains. Jamie less so in that he was just a kid and i'm sure there are versions of him walking around universities but at least one redeeming quality in any of them would help.

Anyway, Watched the finale last night. Unsurprisingly it was very well acted and good ending to a very watchable show. Personally, I would have preferred a little ambiguity to the ending with a cut before his final decision (which I later learned was how the book finished). Overall though a really good watch and I would expect a decent career for both the leads off the back of it.

Given the extreme (surprising) popularity I would be fairly certain that a season 2 (or book 2) will roll around sooner rather than later as nobody is going to pass up such a cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I enjoyed it overall. It did drag in some episodes. I could relate to a lot of parts of the story. For me, the way Connell struggled to connect his Dublin life with his Sligo life was very real.

I agree that it would have been better if we could see more of the brother and mother's viewpoint.
    My own take on the mother 'disowning' her was that she was mad at her daughter for leaving her alone with the abusive brother.

Favourite scenes included Connell's mother getting out of the car, the funeral scene where Connell shook hands with the Dad. Also, the dinner scene at the Italian holiday home. The tension in that scene was terrific.

Favourite characters were Karen and Niall. They seemed to be the coolest, nicest, kindest people of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Once people had different dreams and goals in life, different passions and ambitions, be it exploration, adventure, science, architecture, the arts etc. Now the only acceptable life goal seems to be how often you can pump out bodily fluids from your genitals. That is what people relate to. And that is hailed as "positive" and "progress."

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

oh and if he was that good at gaa he would be at ucd not trinity

this program is wrong on so many levels !

Do people chose their colleges on what sport they play?

Maybe that's something relevant to those more Dublin centric but can't see it having the same sway for someone from rural Ireland anyway you are given the sense despite Connells academics he's gonna plump for putting options that aren't as financially taxing on his CAO, Maryanne steers him towards including Trinity as an option.

In the book he actually played football, the GAA alteration was made by Lenny Abrahamson.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I found it was an overhyped series, there was nothing special about it. Set in Ireland, some frontal nudity to get a bit of talking.
    The main characters were people who I would call hard work, high maintenance personalities which made them very unlikable for me.
    I watched it all but would not bother watching a series 2 if it was as drab as the first series.
    Some people loved it, others didn't, we are all different, but it did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

My interpretation was that the father battered the mother and the son but never laid a hand on Marianne, leading to this perennial resentment Alan has of her as the untouchable golden child and Marianne's survivor's guilt making her feel she deserved punishment and her penchant for physically abusive lovers. It's just missing the older-man angle.

In the book Marrianne states that the father did indeed hit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the only truly likeable character in the series was connells mother

connell is himself hard work , speaking in riddles , push - pull language towards marianne

his mother was as sound as a pound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the only truly likeable character in the series was connells mother

connell is himself hard work , speaking in riddles , push - pull language towards marianne

his mother was as sound as a pound

Was about Niall? And Karen? I thought they were very likeable. But peripheral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The_Brood wrote: »
    Once people had different dreams and goals in life, different passions and ambitions, be it exploration, adventure, science, architecture, the arts etc. Now the only acceptable life goal seems to be how often you can pump out bodily fluids from your genitals. That is what people relate to. And that is hailed as "positive" and "progress."

Sad.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I liked Joanna too, the actress just had this kind vibe about her.

If I remember correctly, in the book with regards to Peggy, there is a bit more of a focus on Marianne explicitly realising that she was never really a true friend, that she had a nasty and self-serving side to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

There was one bit in one of the episodes where I laughed out loud. They're in the bedroom watching the match, before they get back together. At some point Connell goes "I think it's obvious that I want you to stay." Even Marianne was all "Ah now here"

Nothing is ever obvious with Connell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I ended up watching most of it on Monday nights on BBC. I mean it's not much of a story really but I have to say it's by far the best produced and acted and most believable Irish series, or even film, that I've ever seen. People lauded love/hate but I could only get through one episode as I thought the acting was so bad. I think I'm just extra harsh on film/TV when it's in my own vernacular and the acting has the potential to be so wrong. But I think Lenny A and the producers knocked it out of the park with this one.
    It would be nice to see more dramas produced like this set in Ireland, I can't think of anything that comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Likeable gob****e I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Likeable gob****e I suppose
    Who, Niall? Niall was lovely. Not in anyway a gobschite. I'm a big fan of Niall and his bandana. Reminds me of a lad I knew in college. He had a bandana too. Maybe that's a way of recognising seriously sound fellas. The sound lad will be the one with the bandana that he is wearing without a shred of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I binge watched it all on my phone on the BBC iPlayer.
    I feel I need to watch it on the big screen again because I feel I missed so much of the cimenatography on the little screen.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I ended up watching most of it on Monday nights on BBC. I mean it's not much of a story really but I have to say it's by far the best produced and acted and most believable Irish series, or even film, that I've ever seen. People lauded love/hate but I could only get through one episode as I thought the acting was so bad. I think I'm just extra harsh on film/TV when it's in my own vernacular and the acting has the potential to be so wrong. But I think Lenny A and the producers knocked it out of the park with this one.
    It would be nice to see more dramas produced like this set in Ireland, I can't think of anything that comes close.

I'd have it as one of the best ever Irish TV series, a masterpiece. The cinematography, music and acting were stunning. The funny thing is that not very much actually happens in the storyline and yet it totally draws you in in terms of atmosphere and emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'd have it as one of the best ever Irish TV series, a masterpiece. The cinematography, music and acting were stunning. The funny thing is that not very much actually happens in the storyline and yet it totally draws you in in terms of atmosphere and emotions.

It seemed to capture young people as they actually are in Ireland, the accents were real, it was believable. Now that I think of it it was similar to What Richard Did in it's atmosphere and the way it was acted. I hope he makes more stuff set in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

I liked both the TV show and the novel. It's interesting though to note the differences between them. In an article in the Irish Times (here), Hugh Linehan says that "much of what has made the series so successful – its languorous narrative, sensuous cinematography, dreamily downbeat soundtrack and evocative locations – is many miles removed from the emotional tone of Rooney’s novel".

What struck me is that social class is a much more explicit issue in the novel than in the TV show. In the book, a number of references are made to the the fact that Connell is working class and Marianne middle class. It's mentioned that Connell's family would be considered somewhat dodgy, with a relative in prison. Marianne's mother says that Connell has turned out well despite his background. When they go to a house in the ghost estate, Connell comments that the house is much bigger than his own and wonders why it's left empty. Something to do with capitalism, Marianne ventures. When their relationship hits the rocks in college, Connell wonders if Marianne would be better off dating a professional, like a solicitor or a lawyer. When he's at the counselling session in the aftermath of Rob's suicide, Connell says that one of the reasons he hates Trinity is because students talk about how much money their fathers' earn.

These lines either don't appear in the TV show or don't appear as often. Of course, TV being a visual medium, we do see some class differences: Marianne lives in a big house, Connell in a small one; Marianne's family has a villa, etc. Still, it feels that the class element has been downplayed. I think lots of Connell's awkwardness in college arises from feeling inferior because of his class. Although he's very intelligent, he's very self-conscious around people from moneyed backgrounds, doesn't show off like they do. The TV show, while inferring some of this, seems to ascribe his troubles more to mental health issues, anxiety, etc.

There's a good article in Jacobin (here) about the politics of the show and novel.

Anyway, I still enjoyed both the novel and the show.

Advertisement