Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain is dead?

Options
13»

Comments

Huh?
    I don't think Ian Curtis was in Sonic Youth.

I knew he was being out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,339 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I knew he was being out of order.

Doh

Why do I always mix up sonic youth with new order? They don’t even sound the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

I remember everyone in school going around in army surplus combat jackets and doc martins for a bout 2 or 3 years. My favourite bands were nirvana, pumpkins and radio head at the time. Propbably listen to the pumpkins more now on the odd occasion I stroll down memory lane between themselves and nirvana but I still listen to radio head most days. Think they were unreal. Nirvana for pure adrenaline pumping euphoria though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wish I was like you -
    Easily amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I wish I was like you -
    Easily amused.

What else should I be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There is no band that has matched the raw dark edged, manic intensity of Nirvana.

Alice in chains did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Alice in chains did.

Did they though? I love both bands but I think Alice and chains relied more on technical proficiency being that cantrell is a hell of a guitar player and kinney is an excellent technical drummer. Nirvana had more of a punk edge to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Bleach is better though. Both in terms of its rawness and the songwriting.

I mean, I loved Nevermind at the time but it's just too overproduced and some lyrics or indeed entire songs are trite filler. :(

I liked that record it was good garage rock chock full of hooks. A real rollercoaster ride

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

splashuum wrote: »
    He once gigged in a small pub in Cork

DOODLY DEEDLY DIE MUSIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The fact Dave Grohl did so much and is still going adds to it as well. Younger people get exposed to his music and then learn the backstory.

Shame that Grohl’s post-Nirvana music is so pedestrian.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters bear no relation to Nirvana, awful generic dross, if grohl wasn't the lead, they'd be rated no higher than Nickleback

Abso-bally-lutely. Well, they might rate slightly higher than Nickleback but that’s not saying much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Doh

Why do I always mix up sonic youth with new order? They don’t even sound the same?

Ian Curtis wasn't in New Order either. It was Joy Division, and after he died, they became New Order (with a new member added).

Akrasia wrote: »
    Doh

I always mix up Thurston Moore with Kirsten Dunst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Please forgive and I'm not ripping the píss....

Ripping the piss :confused:

You mean taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Alice in chains did.

I'd say Alice took it much much further; AIC can be both a hugely uplifting and harrowing listen depending on the listeners mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nardle Zouss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Smells like teen spirit has like over a billion views on Youtube. Kurt cobain isn't dead, his music made him immortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

splashuum wrote: »
    He once gigged in a small pub in Cork

29 years ago this month!!

Rothko wrote: »
    The fascination with his death has to do with the fact that he died so young and that his death is surrounded in mystery. A lot of people think that he was murdered and that Courtney Love had something to do with it. Not me, though. I think it was a straightforward case of suicide.

There a many theories abound, about how he met his demise but let there be no obfuscation. Here was a man who achieved critical approval; commercial success beyond his wildest expectations

A success which was the very antithesis, of a man of his cultural ethos and so in his heavily burdened/guiltridden mind it still stands to reason. And we can only draw the conclusion ~ he did it out of kurtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

Rothko wrote: »
    Sir Henry's

Played there as a support act to Sonic Youth. Oh, if I had a time machine that would surely be one of the gigs I'd like to go back to and visit.

I was there to see Sonic Youth, the following day I had ringing in my ears, that was from Nirvana I'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I was too busy watching OJ in his white bronco with a 100 LAPD behind him to notice anything else.

Is his death more talked about than 2Pac's death or other famous people who died young & violently? Like JFK or Marat?

Advertisement