Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried to get a chargeback for flight cancellation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I insisted a chargeback on my credit card with Ulster Bank online. I never received any text/email confirmation, or any kind of acknowledgment whatsoever. UBs phonelines say not to call them about chargebacks, so I’ve no way to know if my claim is even processing. Anyone else in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I rang KBC card services about doing a chargeback on Transavia in April. They told me to email proof of purchase and cancellation without refund and I should get the money back in a few days.

Over a week later I got a letter from KBC in Dublin saying they needed me to sign some form merely to just start the process, and made me mail the same proof of purchase/cancellation that I had already emailed them. The letter stated I had 14 days to reply or they wouldn't investigate the claim for me but the letter they sent me was dated over a week old by the time I actually got it. I replied the next day anyway and have heard nothing since. Any dealings I've had with KBC previously have been woeful so I'm not holding my breath here.

Was gutted when I realised I bought these flights with them and not N26 like I thought I had.

Anyway we'll see how it goes but I won't be the sit back and wait kind, I'll be hounding them daily about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭buzz11

I started a charge-back with AIB for Aer Lingus flights which were cancelled, I posted documents to them on 30th April and received full chargeback refund on 21st May so about 3-4 weeks in all.

Very easy process with AIB and good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I insisted a chargeback on my credit card with Ulster Bank online. I never received any text/email confirmation, or any kind of acknowledgment whatsoever. UBs phonelines say not to call them about chargebacks, so I’ve no way to know if my claim is even processing. Anyone else in this position?

I arranged a chargeback through Ulster Bank on a Hotel that I had booked and would not refund payment. At the same time I was hounding the hotel via email and through social media. I even managed to get the CEO's email address and I sent one off to him.

I eventually got an email from the hotel to say that they were going to refund me. After a long period I also got an email from Ulster bank saying that they had credited my account with the refund.

The hotel claimed that they had given it. Ulster Bank claimed that they had taken it.

I have no idea what happened. Ulster Bank were very poor communication wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

buzz11 wrote: »
    I started a charge-back with AIB for Aer Lingus flights which were cancelled, I posted documents to them on 30th April and received full chargeback refund on 21st May so about 3-4 weeks in all.

Very easy process with AIB and good service.
    I just send my in to them day before yday. For 6 flights between AL and R.

Have to more but waiting on R to send me vouchers to send it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

.G. wrote: »
    Was gutted when I realised I bought these flights with them and not N26 like I thought I had.

Anyway we'll see how it goes but I won't be the sit back and wait kind, I'll be hounding them daily about it.

Got a letter from them this morning dated May 12th stating I never mailed them the form they asked for... why did I expect this to go any differently.

Anyway I call their card services line and eventually am told they have everything they need and are working on the case, and to ignore the letter. But she then calls me back 5 minutes later stating they need proof I contacted the airline myself requesting a refund, which I never did as they flat our just weren't doing refunds.

I filled in Transavia's contact form now telling them I reject their crappy voucher and want a full cash refund, I'm not expecting a response so hopefully KBC won't dick around waiting weeks for one before they progress my case any further. Interestingly looking at Transavia's website, they are now offering the choice of a refund for all flights after June 4th, why is it that they don't have this option for flights before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

I just send my in to them day before yday. For 6 flights between AL and R.

Have to more but waiting on R to send me vouchers to send it all.

Are they accepting vouchers as proof you requested a refund from Ryanair.

I thought you might have to give copies of the email or screenshot popup saying you were already in the refund queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Got a letter from them this morning dated May 12th stating I never mailed them the form they asked for... why did I expect this to go any differently.

Anyway I call their card services line and eventually am told they have everything they need and are working on the case, and to ignore the letter. But she then calls me back 5 minutes later stating they need proof I contacted the airline myself requesting a refund, which I never did as they flat our just weren't doing refunds.

I filled in Transavia's contact form now telling them I reject their crappy voucher and want a full cash refund, I'm not expecting a response so hopefully KBC won't dick around waiting weeks for one before they progress my case any further. Interestingly looking at Transavia's website, they are now offering the choice of a refund for all flights after June 4th, why is it that they don't have this option for flights before then?

I was told to wait 30 days from the date I applied for my refund before I could start the chargeback so If you've only just asked for it now you will be waiting. The 30 days is a Mastercard thing. Once the 30 days was up N26 started my claim and I had the money back a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well Transavia came back to me within a few hours and said that while I'm legally entitled to a refund, I can fúck off. So I don't see how waiting another 30 days will make a difference here.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Are they accepting vouchers as proof you requested a refund from Ryanair.

I thought you might have to give copies of the email or screenshot popup saying you were already in the refund queue.

I have SS of the this where is says "once approved your refund request will be processed within 20 days...."

and then email saying bla bla here is the voucher instead.

But for my last flights canceled or June, the site was broken when I send in y refund request so I couldn't snap the screen, but once I get the voucher again I will write to them and explain.

I was waiting more than a month since applying for refunds for the flights I send my papers for chargebeck.

• Advertisement

Well Transavia came back to me within a few hours and said that while I'm legally entitled to a refund, I can fúck off. So I don't see how waiting another 30 days will make a difference here.
    This waiting 20 or 30 days is BS when the supplier has flat out refused.
    I'd hustle and see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Got email confirmation. I paid Expedia for the flights & hotel booking, but when I looked at my statement, the payment was divided into 2 parts, with Air France receiving their amount directly. As they’re the ones refusing to refund, that’s the transaction I applied to reverse. I have enough emails from both Expedia & AF themselves to state that they’re refusing to refund, so hopefully they’ll allow it.

It's interesting that Air France get the money separately.

EU261 does not recognise intermediaries for flights.
    It considers that the airline is responsible for the refund.

This is in direct opposite to Irish contract law where your contract and refund is
    owned by the travel agent.

Reposted from the one and only refund thread:

Monksp wrote: »
    Avant chargeback came through yesterday for Ryanair flights. I had started chargeback process on 21/4.

Good on you and avantcard, getting money out of Ryanair is a major achievement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

I had booked a week in spain with alpharooms, paid over 300e and balance of 700 due in two weeks time. Ryanair cancelled flights. Can't get reply from alpharooms. Can I apply for chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Still no word from AIB on my chargeback 5 weeks ago... Going to write a complaint to the financial ombudsman.... Can I ask for some assistance with wording please...?? (And thankyou)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Date (of sending the letter day/month/year)

Name of owner/manager of business/shop
    Full address of owner/shop/business

Dear (insert owner/manager’s name or Sir/Madam)

On (insert date of purchase) I bought (description of the service, include any details which will make the service identifiable to the company). I attach a copy of my receipt for your information. (see ‘notes to consumer’ document)

I am writing to you because (outline the problem, for example:)
    • The service was not carried out with the necessary skill
    • The service was not carried out with proper care and attention
    • The materials used were not of acceptable quality

On (insert date) I rang and spoke to (insert name of person you spoke to) but (insert outcome here, for example ‘I have heard nothing further since’ or ‘I am not satisfied with the response I received’).

According to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s website www.ccpc.ie, if a consumer has a contract with a service supplier the consumer can expect that:

• The service is provided with proper care and attention
    • The supplier has the appropriate skills to do the job
    • Any materials used in the work are sound and fit for their purpose
    • Any goods supplied as part of the service should be of acceptable quality

Under consumer law my contract is with (name business) as the supplier of the service and as such I am writing to you to seek (state what you want the supplier to do e.g. offer a repair, replacement or a refund).

I would appreciate your response within 10 working days. If you wish to discuss this further, I am contactable by telephone/email at (insert daytime number/email address –optional).

Yours sincerely,

__________________________(signature)
    (Print your name here)

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Date (of sending the letter day/month/year)

Name of owner/manager of business/shop
    Full address of owner/shop/business

Dear (insert owner/manager’s name or Sir/Madam)

On (insert date of purchase) I bought (description of the service, include any details which will make the service identifiable to the company). I attach a copy of my receipt for your information. (see ‘notes to consumer’ document)

I am writing to you because (outline the problem, for example:)
    • The service was not carried out with the necessary skill
    • The service was not carried out with proper care and attention
    • The materials used were not of acceptable quality

On (insert date) I rang and spoke to (insert name of person you spoke to) but (insert outcome here, for example ‘I have heard nothing further since’ or ‘I am not satisfied with the response I received’).

According to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission’s website www.ccpc.ie, if a consumer has a contract with a service supplier the consumer can expect that:

• The service is provided with proper care and attention
    • The supplier has the appropriate skills to do the job
    • Any materials used in the work are sound and fit for their purpose
    • Any goods supplied as part of the service should be of acceptable quality

Under consumer law my contract is with (name business) as the supplier of the service and as such I am writing to you to seek (state what you want the supplier to do e.g. offer a repair, replacement or a refund).

I would appreciate your response within 10 working days. If you wish to discuss this further, I am contactable by telephone/email at (insert daytime number/email address –optional).

Yours sincerely,

__________________________(signature)
    (Print your name here)

Great letter .. thankyou very much...

It's been 5 weeks since I initiated a chargeback with AIB..I get the feeling they are doing nothing about my dispute at all..so I need to take it a step further. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

limabromac wrote: »

It's been 5 weeks since I initiated a chargeback with AIB..I get the feeling they are doing nothing about my dispute at all..so I need to take it a step further. .

i initiated one with Revolut (who i think use AIB here) and they said it can take 45 days and if no response is rec'd from Ryanair its awarded in my favour.

just waiting on Ryanair now to contest it on Day 44 at 11.59pm or whatever would be typical of them haha

did AIB let you know they accepted your chargback papers? did you do it through the post?

just asking as I've send them everything last Wed and nothing back if they received it or not

• Advertisement

did AIB let you know they accepted your chargback papers? did you do it through the post?

just asking as I've send them everything last Wed and nothing back if they received it or not

They let me nothing at all...they barely wouldn't take the claim until I rang them back the next day. ..initially they said visa international and the govt wouldn't allow the claim...so I called them back and expressed my dissatisfaction...
    I sent them the form by post, no word so ialled them up two weeks later ..they said send everything (proof) in by email which I did and I got an email the next day confirming that they have received everything but yo not contact them as there is no time limit on the dispute...I posted their response in this thread.

They let me nothing at all...they barely wouldn't take the claim until I rang them back the next day. ..initially they said visa international and the govt wouldn't allow the claim...so I called them back and expressed my dissatisfaction...
    I sent them the form by post, no word so ialled them up two weeks later ..they said send everything (proof) in by email which I did and I got an email the next day confirming that they have received everything but yo not contact them as there is no time limit on the dispute...I posted their response in this thread.

wow :mad:

can you please tell me what mail did you use to contact them?

i've seen people saying some of them got chargback from AIB

wow :mad:

can you please tell me what mail did you use to contact them?

i've seen people saying some of them got chargback from AIB
    . ...I haven't seen this unfortunately.... I've seen boi and n26 but aib and ryanair must be in cahoots...

Below is the mail I received from them...they contacted me to say this...charge.back@aib.ie is the address it came from...

Thank you for your documents to the disputed transaction. We have attached it to your file. We are unable to discuss chargeback disputes via e-mail, but once we have an update we will be in touch with you via post.

Please be advised that this email address is to receive documentation only.

We are currently receiving a higher than normal amount of disputes and we are unable to provide any timeframe for your dispute.

If you have any queries please contact one of our customer service advisors on the number on the back of your card.

Kind Regards,

. ...I haven't seen this unfortunately.... I've seen boi and n26 but aib and ryanair must be in cahoots...

Below is the mail I received from them...they contacted me to say this...charge.back@aib.ie is the address it came from...

Thank you for your documents to the disputed transaction. We have attached it to your file. We are unable to discuss chargeback disputes via e-mail, but once we have an update we will be in touch with you via post.

Please be advised that this email address is to receive documentation only.

We are currently receiving a higher than normal amount of disputes and we are unable to provide any timeframe for your dispute.

If you have any queries please contact one of our customer service advisors on the number on the back of your card.

Kind Regards,

thank you

I am reading their T&C's and can't find for the life of me where this fall under

https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/personal/docs/our-products/current-accounts/aib-debit-card-terms-and-conditions-of-use.pdf

maybe this
    3.11 To request a refund of a Transaction you have authorised, you must contact us within 8 weeks of the date of the Transaction
    being debited from your Account. If we are satisfied you are entitled to a refund, we will refund you within 10 Business Days
    of your request or provide reasons for refusing the refund.
    To calculate the 10 Business Day period, we will take it that your request has been made when you provide us with all
    information we reasonably consider relevant to assess your claim. If we refuse to refund you and you are not satisfied with our
    reasons, you may wish to log a complaint as set out in the ‘Complaints’ heading in the ‘How we can contact each other’ section.

but in this case it would be more like 8 weeks from "the agreed date of delivery" as per CCPC https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

maybe they have something like that in their Credit Card T&C's

just want to see the facts before I ring them.

thank you

I am reading their T&C's and can't find for the life of me where this fall under

https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/personal/docs/our-products/current-accounts/aib-debit-card-terms-and-conditions-of-use.pdf

maybe this
    3.11 To request a refund of a Transaction you have authorised, you must contact us within 8 weeks of the date of the Transaction
    being debited from your Account. If we are satisfied you are entitled to a refund, we will refund you within 10 Business Days
    of your request or provide reasons for refusing the refund.
    To calculate the 10 Business Day period, we will take it that your request has been made when you provide us with all
    information we reasonably consider relevant to assess your claim. If we refuse to refund you and you are not satisfied with our
    reasons, you may wish to log a complaint as set out in the ‘Complaints’ heading in the ‘How we can contact each other’ section.

but in this case it would be more like 8 weeks from "the agreed date of delivery" as per CCPC https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

maybe they have something like that in their Credit Card T&C's

just want to see the facts before I ring them.

Because it's a flight the date of the flight is important as that's the date the goods and services weren't received as opposed to the date they were paid for....
    Judging by the form online you can claim a charge back once the goods haven't been received...

Part of the form below...

AIB chargeback Dispute Transaction Form
    Use this form if there is a transaction on your account that doesn’t look right or you have a query with.
    Please select the card type that you have the query on Visa Debit Credit Card
    Name Address
    Card number (just the last 4 digits) Mobile Number
    Date of the Transaction Name of the retailer
    Here are some categories to help you. If you need to give us more information, let us know in a covering letter and attach any
    documents that you think might help.
    Tick What type of a dispute is it? Documents we need to see.
    1. I didn’t get the goods or services that I ordered. o Proof that you contacted the shop, supplier or seller, for
    example an email, letter or fax.
    o Copy of invoice if there is one. If there isn’t one, describe
    what you tried to buy.
    o If you were dealing with a travel operator or an airline that
    has gone into liquidation we need proof that the transaction
    is not covered by a bonding authority

2. I didn’t get a refund when I was supposed to o Once 15 days have passed since the transaction and you still
    have not received the refund, send us the receipt for the
    refund from the sales terminal

Because it's a flight the date of the flight is important as that's the date the goods and services weren't received as opposed to the date they were paid for....
    Judging by the form online you can claim a charge back once the goods haven't been received...

Part of the form below...

AIB chargeback Dispute Transaction Form
    Use this form if there is a transaction on your account that doesn’t look right or you have a query with.
    Please select the card type that you have the query on Visa Debit Credit Card
    Name Address
    Card number (just the last 4 digits) Mobile Number
    Date of the Transaction Name of the retailer
    Here are some categories to help you. If you need to give us more information, let us know in a covering letter and attach any
    documents that you think might help.
    Tick What type of a dispute is it? Documents we need to see.
    1. I didn’t get the goods or services that I ordered. o Proof that you contacted the shop, supplier or seller, for
    example an email, letter or fax.
    o Copy of invoice if there is one. If there isn’t one, describe
    what you tried to buy.
    o If you were dealing with a travel operator or an airline that
    has gone into liquidation we need proof that the transaction
    is not covered by a bonding authority

2. I didn’t get a refund when I was supposed to o Once 15 days have passed since the transaction and you still
    have not received the refund, send us the receipt for the
    refund from the sales terminal
    I just rang them They did not receive my docs yet.
    Your man was asking who told me to fill that form....well it says on your page.

So now he says he will flag and dispute all rynair and air lingus charges on my card. then they will contact me to tell me to send the docs and then they will advise how long it will take.

I just rang them They did not receive my docs yet.
    Your man was asking who told me to fill that form....well it says on your page.

So now he says he will flag and dispute all rynair and air lingus charges on my card. then they will contact me to tell me to send the docs and then they will advise how long it will take.

Cool...See if you can send them by email so they don't lose them...my email was very long with all the proof... ; )

Cool...See if you can send them by email so they don't lose them...my email was very long with all the proof... ; )

AIB has all laid out in their Merchant services, under "Dealing with chargebacks"

https://www.aibms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HR_ABM01K00293_Chargeback_Handbook_A4_2018_Update.pdf

It clearly states there is a `10 day limit for merchant to respond, so how are these 5 weeks and all these games possible by the bank?

so how are same rules not applicable to us as consumers requesting a charcgback?
    Isn't AIB Rynairs bank, even if it isn't the same/rules apply to other banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

I got an email today to say we are getting €2200 refunded for a cancelled trip to Australia

• Advertisement

AIB has all laid out in their Merchant services, under "Dealing with chargebacks"

https://www.aibms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HR_ABM01K00293_Chargeback_Handbook_A4_2018_Update.pdf

It clearly states there is a `10 day limit for merchant to respond, so how are these 5 weeks and all these games possible by the bank?

so how are same rules not applicable to us as consumers requesting a charcgback?
    Isn't AIB Rynairs bank, even if it isn't the same/rules apply to other banks.

Covid 19 is an exceptional unprecedented circumstance...that's how anyone that owes anyone money can break the rules... Aib and ryanair are definitely working together on this..straight away their dispute form said that they cannot issue chargebacks during this crisis...that extra piece has now been removed from their Dispute form.. paddy posted it here a while ago... shocking stuff from AIB.

Advertisement