Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Astra (Brad Pitt SF)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Does love still transcend dimensions and time though? :cool:

Ha I was thinking more the ***SPOILER ALERT***antenna slingshot escape space surfing through the meteor shower. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Was very disappointed with this for some reason. Thought the story was all over the place and some of the set pieces were totally outlandish
    the moon buggy chase, swimming under the escape rocket on Mars, using the makeshift shield to get through Neptune's rings...what was that panel made from Vibranium??

I overheard several people afterwards comparing it to Kubrick's 2001, I get why that was but the plot on this was very weak. 2 out of 5 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was very disappointed with this for some reason. Thought the story was all over the place and some of the set pieces were totally outlandish
    the moon buggy chase, swimming under the escape rocket on Mars, using the makeshift shield to get through Neptune's rings...what was that panel made from Vibranium??

I overheard several people afterwards comparing it to Kubrick's 2001, I get why that was but the plot on this was very weak. 2 out of 5 from me.
    I liked the moon buggy chase although do think the idea itself was silly. I agree even I thought the swimming under the escape rocket was silly and then he somehow gets into the ship as its launching. I did not mind the shield through Neptunes rings do thought it looked amazing and sure maybe it is a very strong metal that the shield was made from.

I really enjoyed it when I seen it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I loved this. It was as good as I hoped a James Gray sci-fi movie would be. Stylishly shot, always interesting and thought provoking.

All the different environments were so well designed and filmed. There were some breathtaking shots. A film to get lost in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I loved the acting, visuals, world building, and the clear destination of its plot.

Things I didn't like were the extreme abundance of narration (show don't tell), and while the two brief action sequences are independently thrilling, they feel completely unnecessary. As mentioned above, there is one extremely on the nose moment that took me right out of the moment.

Its relatively slow pace may not be for everyone.

About the same for me.
    I never watched any of the trailers; I just love hard sci-fi, so went on initial knowledge of decent reviews.
    It's well directed, in that it kept my attention all the way through, but it was a bit underwhelming- seeing as it was a cross between sections of Gravity and basic plot of
    Apocalypse Now
    , it had a lot more potential for action, and - dare I say it- philosophy. It therefore seemed 'oversimplified' to me, given the scale of the movie. Solid enough 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I really, really enjoyed it. Beautifully shot with a lovely score, and Brad Pitt putting in a great performance helps too.

It's low on action, which seems to be a problem for some people. This movie reminds me of Blade Runner 2049 in that it's a beautiful slow burner of a film, I personally love films like that but the audience score on RT is very very harsh. By way of contrast the audience score for Hobbs and Shaw is 88%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...a beautiful slow burner of a film, I personally love films like that ...

...Same here... Also liked Blade Runner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's low on action, which seems to be a problem for some people. This movie reminds me of Blade Runner 2049 in that it's a beautiful slow burner of a film

It felt a bit lacking to me, in that it could have ditched the action set-pieces, and gone more contemplative/philosophical, or, increased it- ditching Pitt's voice-overing. There was plenty of scope for either, and doing either could have easily bumped up its entertainment value for me to an 8 or more, but as it stood it kinda felt it fell between two stools. For the look, tone and pace that it was pitched at, I would have preferred a more philosophical take. Having said that, I do like my popcorn with action films.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,878 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

who is responsible for the rampant daddy issues in this movie? the lifeless void of space should be enough bleak in any sifi movie. the latter part of the movie was like letting the air out of a tyre

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Week two and it's done $89million worldwide:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=adastra.htm

Joker releases this week and Ad Astra doesn't look to be having a China release.
    I dunno.. it might break even in the long run. It'd probably do alright streaming.
    Slydice wrote: »
    Budget of 80-100million:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_Astra_(film)

Only predicted to make 19million opening weekend:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4547&p=.htm

No cinemascore yet but looking like bad word-of-mouth from
    56% Audience Score on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ad_astra

Probably lump another 20-80 million on the budget for advertising and this film may end up lucky to break-even.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm in the disappointed camp when it comes to this film. It looked and sounded great in the cinema, but the over reliance on narration and the few set pieces harmed it. The overall point of the movie and self realisation was still underwhelming. For an epic journey it's handled so brief, and lacks any emotion. Granted Brad's character is not an emotional one but I felt the film could have done better with some as it handled the ending.

Unfortunately it's not a film I have an urge to re-watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I kept waiting for the moment when the narration and "I'm so emotionally closed off, thanks Dad!" clichés would get subverted. Where maybe Lee-Jones' character would turn out to be misunderstood, or actually a decent man despite his son's navel gazing. Or indeed where the narration itself had some twist in the tail at the story.

Nope.

It really was that agonisingly rote, so stunningly ... I dunno, undergraduate. Strip away the star name, respected director & relatively colossal budget, and the end result was a student film that managed to sneak its way into cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

two hours of brainfarting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's low on action, which seems to be a problem for some people.

That didn't really bother me. I think they should've actually just focused on this being more of a psychological thriller and emotional rollercoaster instead of throwing in (entirely pointless!) action scenes. But they did neither successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

woodchuck wrote: »
    That didn't really bother me. I think they should've actually just focused on this being more of a psychological thriller and emotional rollercoaster instead of throwing in (entirely pointless!) action scenes. But they did neither successfully.

Yes there just wasn't enough explosions and one liners, thats why I thought it was bang average.

From a 2001:A Space Odyssey/Kubrick worshipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Some impressive scenes (I particularly enjoyed the moon scenes) but overall, it takes itself way way too seriously - there was huge potential in the story and it just got sidetracked by the whole tedious father/son plot - Tommy Lee Jones' character did almost nothing for me, and his whole backstory was senseless.

Ponderous, disappointing, criminally underused Ruth Negga. Derivative, lacking in innovation, no wit or humour, much preferred Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Slow is one thing, but this is tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The score is the only good thing about this film. I sat watching it wondering when it would grab me, when would I start rooting for someone in the film or get pulled in by the suspense but no, nothing. whatever about its other flaws Gravity at least does this. It is a sterile film big on FX and setting but very much lacking emotion or someone to connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Homelander

Somewhat perplexed at the universally strong critical reviews for this one. I thought it was a perfect example of style over substance - an utterly gorgeous movie that's disappointly hollow at its core, with very little emotional connection, tonal inconsistencies and a weak plot.

Also disappointed at some condescending comments that it's not for people looking for action or explosions; on the contrary, Ad Astra's two major 'action' scenes are bolted on and while visually compelling, are contextually nonsensical, and seemingly serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever other than to check those boxes. The film would be far better off being 15 minutes shorter and trimmed of this fat.

I would say it's worth seeing for sci-fi loves who appreciate the vastness and wonder of space on the big screen, but it's really not a great film, just OK - I'd say a 5/10 is about right for me. Extremely disappointed.

Not nearly enough meat on the bones of this. Decent and engaging start but fizzled out like eating a stinger bar back in the day that had no fizz at the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This was alright, but had potential to be so much better. It was a very intriguing premise that drew me in straight away, just felt like the actual execution could've been a lot better. It's certainly watchable, but not one I'd be rushing to watch again.

6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Stunning visuals and sound

But story wise it was a very poor mans apocalypse now

I felt the visual horror of the space stations on the moon and Mars were very true

Hopefully we never have to leave here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I wanted to like this, the fundamental idea at the end I did like, but I thought i the movie around it was awful.
    Brad Pitt was terrible, everything from him was completely flat and I know that the movies hints that he is repressed or on the autism spectrum or both, but it just felt like he didn't know how the act. It doesn't help that all of his acting is replaced with completely flat post hoc diary entries. What happened to show, don't tell?
    The action scenes felt randomly inserted and added nothing important to the story or world building. The space elevator blowing up didn't impact the story later, the moon pirates didn't impact anything later, the random rabies monkey felt like someone said "hey it's an hour into the movie, we need an action scene". The fight on Mars was incredibly stupid. Really, those 3 geniuses all got out of the seats while in take off? And why were they all treating Pitt like he was their worst enemy? It might make sense if they blamed him for their captain getting his face eaten off by the monkey - if they had actually hinted at that when it happened.
    If feels kind of like an old 60s Sci-Fi short story, which starts with Pitts character arriving at Neptune to get his dad and the point of the story is how they differed in their reaction to finding out humans are alone in the universe. It feels like they filmed that, and then had to add 90 more minutes to make a movie out of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have to say I'm a huge sci-fi fan and I was pretty much bored with this.

Waaay too much navel-gazing and not enough substance to back it up. One-face Brad Pitt is not enough to anchor a movie.

Visually stunning and beautifully shot, but overall a let down for me or am i missing something, it was just so boring, I wonder did Brad owe someone a favour to star in this.

Saw it with a friend cause he wanted to see it, and we just looked at each other at the end of it and said wtf was that all about, very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I cannot lie.. I've relistened to the first 5 minutes or so...

"ooo is that bomp noise really Tommy Lee Jones I wonder" :D

A Lot of the Sound Effects in Ad Astra Were Just Tommy Lee Jones's Voice
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-lot-of-the-sound-effects-in-ad-astra-were-just-tommy-1840809215

Advertisement