Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of use to short-term/holiday let apartments

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any particularly reason you have chosen to bump a thread from five months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 martinar2

Because its still relevant and there are points in it that were not made previously

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

According to an article in the paper a couple few weeks ago airbnb isnt worth the effort.
    I have to say, doing Airbnb myself I much prefer it to a regular let. Too much risk, hand tying and interference with the regular let.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

martinar2 wrote: »
    It is fair to say that apartment blocks are not ideal given the fact common areas are involved, but then again management companies are paid far in excess of the cost to maintain and dealing with them as a tenant for the simplest problems is like extracting teeth.

A small correction for you - management companies are not paid. They are self funding. The management fees are made up from a proposed budget for the development, which is approved at an AGM, by the management company members, who are all unit owners.

As for some of your other comments, I think the politics forum is open for that type of discussion.

<mod snip>

Personally I had never thought of Airbnb but an injury has basically made it the only option and it is disheartening to think even that option is dwindling.

• Advertisement

PaulW, my opinion on that matter comes from having had a friend argue for a prolonged period of time with a management company over inactivity in the maintenance of his Dublin city complex. During which time they were paid to maintain it.

With regard to other comments I made, they are responses to arguments made by opposing opinions with they exception of the NAMA example. My point in including that was to ask the question where were they when that was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please take your political comments to a political forum, if you want to discuss the topic of this thread, ie the conversion of rental properties to short term lets including AirBnB then here is fine.

You may want to read the forum charter before posting again too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

PaulW, my opinion on that matter comes from having had a friend argue for a prolonged period of time with a management company over inactivity in the maintenance of his Dublin city complex. During which time they were paid to maintain it.

I think you don't understand the difference between management company and management agent
    The company is the owners of each unit as a collective. If you own a unit, you're part of the management company. They pay a yearly fee to the company which covers everything from sinking fund, block insurance to cleaning and lift servicing.

The management agent is a firm appointed by the company to manage the estate/block on behalf of the unit owners

As for airbnb, social housing isn't the responsibility of the private individual. If you own a property, then you should be allowed do what you like with it, provided it doesn't have planning restrictions against that use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    According to an article in the paper a couple few weeks ago airbnb isnt worth the effort.
    I have to say, doing Airbnb myself I much prefer it to a regular let. Too much risk, hand tying and interference with the regular let.

How is Airbnb working out for you as a matter of interest? Is it offering a better return than a passive long term let? What is your occupancy rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

How is Airbnb working out for you as a matter of interest? Is it offering a better return than a passive long term let? What is your occupancy rate?

Its so much better. And I am fully in control of my properties.
    I act as agent for my brothers properties as they dont want to do airbnb yet and I would go airbnb any day of the week if given the choice.
    Ive even convince the brothers to try airbnb when their current tenants move out.
    The great thing is you can try airbnb for a month or 6 months or whatever you want and go back to normal renting straight away with no fuss or people to give notice to if you decide airbnb is not for you. Much harder to go from normal let to airbnb though.

More money. (You can almost but not quite double the take of a normal tenancy. Im sure I could get it higher with a bit more effort, but its pretty hands off for me now)
    More control.
    Ongoing cleaning and maintenance keeps properties in amazing shape always.
    Guests are always very tidy and careful.
    No stupid rules about who i can let to or when i can ask them to move on.
    Never ever an issue with getting paid.
    Many more reasons.
    The one thing I will say is that it was a pain meeting so many people but I now pay someone a nominal fee to take care of that and do the cleaning.
    They get the cleaning fee that I charge through Airbnb.
    So this person meets the guests and cleans just before they meet them and deals with any calls.
    So its all hands off for me now. It was a bit of a pain before I made that change.

The best perk by far is that I swap nights in my airbnbs for nights in other peoples airbnbs in other countries. Im making great use of that now. Love it. Basically you let someone else who has airbnb property too have say 14 nights of their choosing be it this year, next year, whenever. They just check your availability on airbnb and then email you. No money changes hands at all. And in return the favour is reversed. Its definitely worth doing airbnb for on its own even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

martinar2 wrote:

Things are budgeted for at the start of the year. If too many people are tardy or negligent in paying their service charges things get prioritised. Block insurance, electrity for common areas and refuse collection would take priority over cosmetic painting, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I started using Airbnb for two properties recently and have to say am so far very pleased with the results: one is a family property that has to be available for family stays from time to time; the other was previously a residential property let on the standard residential lease, which I originally never intended using for Airbnb. However, I discovered my previous tenants had been carrying on a business on the premises, without my knowledge. Only found out after they moved out, at which point it occurred to me that if I had wanted to evict them for breaking the terms of their lease, it could have taken me months and cost me a small fortune to get rid of them.

If you set it up right, there is not that much work involved in Airbnb, and you have more control over who stays in your property too. The summer has been amazing, but am sure the winter months will be tight. However, I am happy if I get the same income after all expenses as I would get from a long term tenancy - and this will remain my attitude until the law changes to make it easier and quicker to evict problem tenants, and to immediately evict tenants who stop paying rent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, your opinion is not based on fact. If your friend owned their unit then they are the management company. Every unit owner is a member of the management company, and any member can be put forward to be a director of the management company. Lack of maintenance can have many reasons, usually due to people not paying their management fees. You can't pay for maintenance if you have no money. Priority items, like insurance, etc are more likely to be paid before maintenance is done.

As I stated before, management companies are self funded. Members approve the budget at the AGM, to plan how funds are used. If your friend had an issue, it should have been raised by them at the AGM.

Management companies were around long before AirB&B came along. :rolleyes:

Advertisement