Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-patronising childrens films?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

January wrote: »
    Hotel Transylvania on the other hand... There's references to wanting to "kiss your tush" which I found a bit :eek:

Please tell me you're joking…

Those parent guides on imdb are absolutely insane. If you need to read them before showing your child a movie, your kid is doomed when they step out into the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Coraline is a great film for kids and adults and i love the film ponyo mentioned earlier too, only problem being my kid wants to watch them again and again!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dub_skav wrote: »
    Jesus, I just read the parent's guide for Finding Nemo (one of our little one's favourites) and it's ludicrous.

Don't think I'll be reading any of them in future, too many Maude Flanders types around

Sex & Nudity:
    A male and female fish flirt briefly.

Jaysus - not flirting :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, tis a bit mental that they go though things like that in minute detail.

Paranorman is pretty heavy though. I felt is was more aimed at me than a smallie.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Neyite wrote: »
    Havent seen Up yet.
    SQUIRREL!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

the_syco wrote: »
    SQUIRREL!

Eh?

I could never find it on the sites I usually acquire films from, but have just found it there now and will watch it later this afternoon with baby. I'll find out what you mean then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Mine enjoy the barbie movies - usually about singing, dancing, friendship and responsibilities.

As well as some of the others listed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Flippin' Dumbo... mother of god I had not watched that in a while. In my mind it was a nice wholesome short disney film, 45 mins max. I stuck it on the other day when she had missed a nap and was half asleep in the living room clung to her blanket. I was flat out packing up to move house so put it on for her. The poor child was traumatised! Dumbo's mammy chained, taken away and stuck in a cage. She came out to me roaring crying about dumbo's mammy. Oops.

The parental guide goes way overboard, but I need to keep an eye on the old disney ones in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

pwurple wrote: »
    Flippin' Dumbo... mother of god I had not watched that in a while. In my mind it was a nice wholesome short disney film, 45 mins max. I stuck it on the other day when she had missed a nap and was half asleep in the living room clung to her blanket. I was flat out packing up to move house so put it on for her. The poor child was traumatised! Dumbo's mammy chained, taken away and stuck in a cage. She came out to me roaring crying about dumbo's mammy. Oops.

The parental guide goes way overboard, but I need to keep an eye on the old disney ones in future.

If you listen to the song when the men are erecting the tent in the beginning it is really racist and horrible, not to mention they are drawn as ape-like. I was washing dishes in the kitchen while he watched it in the ajoinning sitting room, I actually stopped cleaning and listened. I was a bit shocked, and didn't know what to do, he loves learning and repeating Disney songs. Normally I take no notice but that really struck me, but then again Walt Disney was an extremely racist individual.

He was also gutted for the mother too. He is too kind hearted!

The elephants on parade bit is terrifying IMO. Youngfella likes it though!

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The elephants on parade bit is terrifying IMO. Youngfella likes it though!

Whoever thought of that was on some serious drugs!!!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Whoever thought of that was on some serious drugs!!!

Considering it was made in 1941, I'd have my doubts. Pink Elephants was actually slang for having the DTs which is what inspired the sequence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_pink_elephants

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Try Corpse Bride or Coraline, two very good kids films, certainly not patronizing.

Or try the first Ice Age movie, as a teenager I still enjoy that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Please tell me you're joking…

Those parent guides on imdb are absolutely insane. If you need to read them before showing your child a movie, your kid is doomed when they step out into the real world.

I'm not, in the opening scenes he picks her up and says "I vant to kiss your tush!" and when he's singing her a song in the opening scene too he sings "my beautiful Mavis, let me wipe all your poop away"

January wrote: »
    I'm not, in the opening scenes he picks her up and says "I vant to kiss your tush!" and when he's singing her a song in the opening scene too he sings "my beautiful Mavis, let me wipe all your poop away"

Do you seriously think these are offensive or unsuitable to young kids?

Mine enjoy the barbie movies - usually about singing, dancing, friendship and responsibilities.

As well as some of the others listed above.

Barbie, along with the likes of Bratz, are things I never let my kids watch. Both reinforce the stereotypes that you must have an hourglass figure to be a real woman and that having the right clothes is more important that having a personality. There have never been either type of dolls in our house either.

Orion wrote: »
    Barbie, along with the likes of Bratz, are things I never let my kids watch. Both reinforce the stereotypes that you must have an hourglass figure to be a real woman and that having the right clothes is more important that having a personality. There have never been either type of dolls in our house either.

Our 4 year old watched the Barbie Christmas film on TV and enjoyed it so much that we picked it up for her on DVD to watch. To really drive home the stereotyping, when she's watching it, I point at the screen and tell her that's what a real woman looks like and that I expect her to look like that when she gets older.

The main message was a bit bogus though. It was about looking after your family at Christmas or something and not about how important the perfect pair of shoes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Have you watched the movies? There is nothing in them about an hourglass figure!

Barbie is usually active, sporty and always kind.

Each home is different. I myself prefer my son watching movies with a message, be it subliminal or right in your face, it tends to give the story a better plot line. But as others have stated, it's not their cup of tea. If my next child is a girl I don't think I will be going out of my way to let her watch Barbie. There seems nothing too bad in the movies, but I feel the toys are getting weirder and weirder with their different shape since my day and the fact the cow seems to have everything except a CEO and presidents suit. It all seems very "OMG totes have to go to the beach" for my liking, but other parents don't mind so off with them.

Each home is different. I myself prefer my son watching movies with a message, be it subliminal or right in your face, it tends to give the story a better plot line. But as others have stated, it's not their cup of tea. If my next child is a girl I don't think I will be going out of my way to let her watch Barbie. There seems nothing too bad in the movies, but I feel the toys are getting weirder and weirder with their different shape since my day and the fact the cow seems to have everything except a CEO and presidents suit. It all seems very "OMG totes have to go to the beach" for my liking, but other parents don't mind so off with them.

http://shop.mattel.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12836463

I have two daughters and Barbie DVDs and dolls have ended up in the house, usually as birthdays presents from others. The eldest one had no real interest in them but the youngest one plays with them occassionally. I see no harm in the dolls. My Luke Skywalker action figure might have given me unrealistic expectations of a career as a Jedi Knight but I somehow managed to get over it and in terms of body image, I might have had a problem moving my arms and legs without bending them for a while but thankfully I grew out of that.

• Advertisement

http://shop.mattel.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12836463

I have two daughters and Barbie DVDs and dolls have ended up in the house, usually as birthdays presents from others. The eldest one had no real interest in them but the youngest one plays with them occassionally. I see no harm in the dolls. My Luke Skywalker action figure might have given me unrealistic expectations of a career as a Jedi Knight but I somehow managed to get over it and in terms of body image, I might have had a problem moving my arms and legs without bending them for a while but thankfully I grew out of that.

As I said, we are all different.

I only ever had Barbies where I could get an animal with them. Gave the dolls themselves to my sister. I was never much of a girlie-girl. :) Any toy can give unrealistic body images, that is where good parenting comes in, we need to teach them the difference. At home we choose what they watch as young children, moulding their preferences as they grow. As children go through school they will encounter their peers, many with different tastes to them and be introduced to different toys/shows etc, and our influences fade, yet we still have to reiterate, what is normal for Barbie is not normal in general.

I never liked Barbie, but I loved My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, etc. Many would argue how do I even see myself as human if all I loved was animals :D Such is the craziness of some :pac: I often had the figurines, but others would have detested them, hence the large variety we are lucky to choose from, even more so these days, it means everyone can be kept happy!!!!

And glad to see Barbie is going for the presidency. I like girls having role models.

I only ever had Barbies where I could get an animal with them. Gave the dolls themselves to my sister. I was never much of a girlie-girl. :) Any toy can give unrealistic body images, that is where good parenting comes in, we need to teach them the difference. At home we choose what they watch as young children, moulding their preferences as they grow. As children go through school they will encounter their peers, many with different tastes to them and be introduced to different toys/shows etc, and our influences fade, yet we still have to reiterate, what is normal for Barbie is not normal in general.

Barbie is a doll, why would it be hard to help your daughter distinguish between Barbie and real life? Is not like it's hard to get your daughter to distinguish between Dora and real life, why is Barbie any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you seriously think these are offensive or unsuitable to young kids?

Offensive? No. Unsuitable? To older kids, probably yes. I haven't stopped my three (to an extent, the 18 month old usually just potters around if there's a movie on) watching it but when the 3 and 4 year olds are going around repeating everything they hear it can lead to some awkward questions from outsiders!

Barbie is a doll, why would it be hard to help your daughter distinguish between Barbie and real life? Is not like it's hard to get your daughter to distinguish between Dora and real life, why is Barbie any different?

I think you underestimate the power of television to a young mind. Here's an example: What sound does a frog make?
    That 'ribbit' noise you just made is only made by one frog anywhere in the world - the Pacific Tree frog which makes its home near Hollywood. Walt Disney used that sound from his local variety of frog and now every child and most adults thinks that's what all frogs sound like because of TV.

Dora does things you have to tell your child are wrong too. I don't want my 4 year old running off, or being like Diego and wandering up to any animal he sees in the street either.

Brother bear, Fox and the Hound and Bambi are about hunting, my son has watched them, and I was honest when he asked where Todd's, Koda's and Bambi's mothers went (I said they were in heaven and would never be with their babies again), as a result, he thinks hunting is bad and thinks the bold men should stop. He is four and three Disney Movies established a strong belief in him. Can't say the power of TV doesn't have a profound effect on small minds.

I think you underestimate the power of television to a young mind. Here's an example: What sound does a frog make?

Bud-weis-er?

:p

That 'ribbit' noise you just made is only made by one frog anywhere in the world - the Pacific Tree frog which makes its home near Hollywood. Walt Disney used that sound from his local variety of frog and now every child and most adults thinks that's what all frogs sound like because of TV.

And Santa Claus is red and white because of Coca-Cola and just because my daughter watches some Barbie movies doesn't mean she's going to become anorexic in later life. I'm not using the Barbie videos and dolls as manuals on how she should look and live her life.

Tbf though, those Bratz things have never made it into the house. They just look too oddnd annoying .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Matilda and the Iron Giant.

Although the latter leaves me in a sobbing heap. :(

Dora does things you have to tell your child are wrong too. I don't want my 4 year old running off, or being like Diego and wandering up to any animal he sees in the street either.

That's the point of what I'm saying. You're there to help teach the difference between real and make believe.
    Brother bear, Fox and the Hound and Bambi are about hunting, my son has watched them, and I was honest when he asked where Todd's, Koda's and Bambi's mothers went (I said they were in heaven and would never be with their babies again), as a result, he thinks hunting is bad and thinks the bold men should stop. He is four and three Disney Movies established a strong belief in him. Can't say the power of TV doesn't have a profound effect on small minds.

And not one of the Barbie movies has been about how hard it's been to maintain your figure and how a nice hairstyle gets the boys. Don't get me wrong, the films are utter tripe but because they are sickeningly wholesome. Good always wins out, it's what's inside that's important, that sort of thing. They're usually movies with a message too. Terribly done but they find them entertaining.

• Advertisement

That's the point of what I'm saying. You're there to help teach the difference between real and make believe. [\QUOTE]

Sure that is the job of being mammy and daddy :D

And not one of the Barbie movies has been about how hard it's been to maintain your figure and how a nice hairstyle gets the boys. Don't get me wrong, the films are utter tripe but because they are sickeningly wholesome. Good always wins out, it's what's inside that's important, that sort of thing. They're usually movies with a message too. Terribly done but they find them entertaining.

Well having just a son at the moment means the likelihood of watching a barbie movie in this house is very low, but since I may have a daughter in the future, I cannot guarantee it will not be something she would want to watch. Yes it is all good winning and from what I saw one day, the princess and the pauper thing of everything always looks greener on the other side, but the dolls irritate me, so like all normal people, I have an irrational dislike for anything associated with them too :D :P

Advertisement