Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supposedly extremely attractive people who you don't find attractive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Streisand is a great beauty- the problem is, you (and others) have been conditioned to think that a cookie cutter type beauty is better than someone who doesn't fit the mould. Jack Nicholson and many others fell in love with her. I stand by my earlier statement- she is a great beauty and anyone who says otherwise is just too basic to see it

No I disagree, you are trying to use reverse physiology and disparage peoples opinions by suggesting they have less refined tastes and I call bull on that. Streisand has always provoked debate of this type and I am glad I brought her into the conversation as it is the classic example.
    I have no idea what a cookie cutter is and could care less, I just find Streisand to be distinctly unattractive and actually as someone mentioned earlier she has a similar look to Jennifer Aniston whom I also find unattractive but never made the connection between the two until mentioned in this tread. Is she a cookie cutter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Streisand is a great beauty- the problem is, you (and others) have been conditioned to think that a cookie cutter type beauty is better than someone who doesn't fit the mould. Jack Nicholson and many others fell in love with her. I stand by my earlier statement- she is a great beauty and anyone who says otherwise is just too basic to see it
    I didn't say she couldn't be attractive, it appears she was and while beauty can be a movable feast that shifts over time and fashion, at its most basic it's down to and oddly enough, how regular and "average" and masculine or masculine facial features are. Her nose alone skews that and her eyes while pretty are beady with it.

Personally speaking I tend to prefer more kooky features in women, such as what Streisand had. I find them less bland than many more revered types, so I have no skin in that game. That's what I tend to find attractive, but at the same time I wouldn't describe them as "great beauties".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

So not fancying Barbara Streisand is an unnatural response brought about by conditioning of basic minds? That's a bit much.

Maybe she just has weird, quirky looks which only appeal (but appeal a lot) to a minority.

Disclaimer: Can't stand her or her awful films.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anyone who has an opinion that differs from yours is too basic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

image.jpg

She looks like Jennifer Lawrence in that picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah Streisand had pretty eyes and a truly fantastic voice, brains and a forceful personality, all of which made her attractive, but a "great beauty" she was not.

Trust me, a woman who gets told she looks like her is only going to be thinking about her looks. Personality won’t figure.

Wasn’t a big part of ‘The Way We Were’ how mismatched they were? Redford is so bland to me though personally. I don’t care if I couldn’t pull heyday Redford. I wouldn’t want him!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    image.jpg

She looks like Jennifer Lawrence in that picture.

She so does as well

I can never work out what basic means when used this way. Maybe I’m too... basic?

Anyway, anyone who says otherwise simply holds a differing opinion. What makes you the arbiter? I’m sure men did fall in love with her. People of varying looks have people fall in love with them. Otherwise, many of us would never experience love.

There are lots of good-looking, symmetrical women in Mad Men but my husband’s favourite is Rosemarie DeWitt who plays Midge. She has a prominent nose. He doesn’t care and thinks she’s really sexy. He usually likes the more symmetrical celebs. People are well capable of looking beyond the norm. You just fancy who you fancy and that’s it.

dubstarr wrote: »
    She so does as well
    And Robert Redford could be Brad Pitt's dad :pac:

I can never work out what basic means when used this way.
    Apparently it means this
    A basic person is an individual who is totally deprived of being extraordinary and sophisticated. Basic people are usually boring, average, and willing to settle for less. They are middling in everything they do and they lack flavor and style in their personality. They like what everyone else likes and hates what everyone else hates.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Apparently it means this

Well, now we know. Lotus Flower is special!

Well, now we know. Lotus Flower is special!
    You're just jellus ODB :P Lotus flowers are special :pac::D
    The lotus flower is one of the most ancient and deepest symbols of our planet. The lotus flower grows in muddy water and rises above the surface to bloom with remarkable beauty. ... Untouched by the impurity, lotus symbolizes the purity of heart and mind. The lotus flower represents long life, health, honor and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

So not fancying Barbara Streisand is an unnatural response brought about by conditioning of basic minds? That's a bit much.

Maybe she just has weird, quirky looks which only appeal (but appeal a lot) to a minority.

Disclaimer: Can't stand her or her awful films.

No, if you don't fancy her it's not an unnatural response (that's subjective) but she's certainly not weird or quirky. Having a bigger than average nose does not make someone weird or quirky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

No, if you don't fancy her it's not an unnatural response (that's subjective) but she's certainly not weird or quirky. Having a Jewish nose does not make someone weird or quirky

Have ye got a Jewish nose, is that what yer trying to tell us?

BDI wrote: »

More Roman, I think

Apparently it means this

Pretty much that! Those who've been led to believe that certain things are "Weird" or "quirky"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I’m extremely attractive but I don’t find myself attractive. Does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Alexa Chung, nice face but horribly thin and has weird knobbly knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

Pretty much that! Those who've been led to believe that certain things or "Weird" or "quirky"

I don’t think people would describe Streisand’s looks as “quirky” if they saw her in the street. However her look was very “unusual” in Hollywood.
    Most Hollywood actresses (and actors) have had work done to make their nose more photogenic.
    eg Ryan Gosling, Blake Lively, Jennifer Anniston, Patrick Dempsey, Angelina Jolie, Benjamin Bratt.... this list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I’m extremely attractive but I don’t find myself attractive. Does that count ?

would you **** me? I'd **** me

• Advertisement

No, if you don't fancy her it's not an unnatural response (that's subjective) but she's certainly not weird or quirky. Having a Jewish nose does not make someone weird or quirky
    No one mentioned her nose or being Jewish. Don't make it into that.
    BDI wrote: »
    No need for that.

Seriously lads. Cut the bullsh!t.

There’s no such thing as a Jewish nose. That’s just an outdated stereotype and kind of a slur, to be honest. It’s been researched, the supposed Jewish nose shape is just as common in many different ethnicities.

No one mentioned her nose or being Jewish. Don't make it into that.

No need for that.

Seriously lads. Cut the bullsh!t.

Several people did mention her nose, actually.

There’s no such thing as a Jewish nose. That’s just an outdated stereotype and kind of a slur, to be honest. It’s been researched, the supposed Jewish nose shape is just as common in many different ethnicities.

Post amended

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Streisand was a great beauty and anyone who says otherwise is just too basic to see it
    Streisand is a great beauty- the problem is, you (and others) have been conditioned to think that a cookie cutter type beauty is better than someone who doesn't fit the mould.
    If you're into cookie cutter beauty, you won't see that

Never read such a load of arrogant condescending nonsense in my life.

So anyone who thinks Sarah Jessica Parker is horse faced is horrible and mean, and and anyone who disagrees with your opinion of what counts as beautiful is essentially thick.

Catch yourself on.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Never read such a load of arrogant condescending nonsense in my life.

So anyone who thinks Sarah Jessica Parker is horse faced is horrible and mean, and and anyone who disagrees with your opinion of what counts as beautiful is essentially thick.

Catch yourself on.

Well I didn't say thick, I said basic. And yes, that's pretty much it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

I don't think Emma Stone is good looking at all really.

P.s my "basic" comment was actually flippant, which is apparently the tone of this thread. But it's funny to see the same people who were adamant that the tone of the thread was jokey and not at all mean get so offended over it.

Several people did mention her nose, actually.

They said her nose was big. Which it is. I said earlier that Rosemarie DeWitt’s nose was big. Pretty sure she’s not Jewish. Nobody mentioned anything about ethnicities.
    Well I didn't say thick, I said basic. And yes, that's pretty much it :)

Same difference. Get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

P.s my "basic" comment was actually flippant, which is apparently the tone of this thread. But it's funny to see the same people who were adamant that the tone of the thread was jokey and not at all mean get so offended over it.

I'm not offended. I just think it's ironic that you spent so long getting your knickers in a twist over the mean things said about SJP (who will never see this thread) yet you're flat out rude about the people actually posting in the thread.

Advertisement