Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

A suggest nothing more like went out on a date or 2

What's weird about it is she would have known when she went for that kiss that this was aunt peggies husband.

He didn't know at the time but she would have known growing up.

That's some electra complex.

I had a great time in the packed theatre. It's an event film, like seeing a concert with a crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pter wrote: »
    What's weird about it is she would have known when she went for that kiss that this was aunt peggies husband.

He didn't know at the time but she would have known growing up.

That's some electra complex.

Peggy also never said anything to Steve when she was dying in hospital - because that reality didn't exist for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Giant Man charging onward during the Avengers assemble was a great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭micks_address

Peggy also never said anything to Steve when she was dying in hospital - because that reality didn't exist for them.

So in caps altered timeline he goes back in time spends life with Peggy.. does she still get Alzheimer's or perhaps they have kids and one or those kids gets caps powers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

A suggest nothing more like went out on a date or 2

When he was in hiding between civil war and infinity war?

Doubt it

So in caps altered timeline he goes back in time spends life with Peggy.. does she still get Alzheimer's or perhaps they have kids and one or those kids gets caps powers..

Fook knows.

I don't get how Cap doesn't effect the timeline we saw, but can also still appear at the end of the reality we experienced. Its a plot hole, really.

But it is one i'm just not bothered about getting an answer for. I loved the movies and interactions we got, and I loved the idea of Cap going back and having the life he missed with Peg.

So I'm just gonna forget about the plot holes rather than get bogged down in whether Cap and Peg could have had have a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah for movies that delve into time travel, you just have to let the movie set and break its rules and ignore any what if's or buts that pop into your head :pac:

“So Back to the Future's a bunch of bullshit?”

“So Endgame's a bunch of bullshit?”

:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think giving Falcon the shield and in effect making him Captain America was a cop out, Buckey was the better choice but I'd imagine off screen he turned it down, like when Cap said he'd miss him before going back with the stones he was probably given the choice, maybe he felt his work with Hydra didnt make him worthy enough to don the shield.

I also agree that Cap going back to live out his life with Peggy has to have had some f**k up on the timeline along the way, introducing time travel was the only way to reverse the snap but its going to lead to more what ifs and buts going forward.

I mean now that they have time travelling tech from Stark, Lang and Pym they can if they wish, do whatever they like and destroy any threat after it turns up.

Well, Dr. Strange might have an issue with them time hopping but unless any future threats destroys the ability for the majority of the cast to time travel, the threat seems inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Saw it the second time and wow just realised Jarvis was there in human form (driver) before Tony and Cap depart.

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    Saw it the second time and wow just realised Jarvis was there in human form (driver) before Tony and Cap depart.

Would have loved to see Quake make small cameo appearance in the final battle - though maybe she is dead by then. who knows.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think giving Falcon the shield and in effect making him Captain America was a cop out, Buckey was the better choice but I'd imagine off screen he turned it down, like when Cap said he'd miss him before going back with the stones he was probably given the choice, maybe he felt his work with Hydra didnt make him worthy enough to don the shield.

I also agree that Cap going back to live out his life with Peggy has to have had some f**k up on the timeline along the way, introducing time travel was the only way to reverse the snap but its going to lead to more what ifs and buts going forward.

I mean now that they have time travelling tech from Stark, Lang and Pym they can if they wish, do whatever they like and destroy any threat after it turns up.

Well, Dr. Strange might have an issue with them time hopping but unless any future threats destroys the ability for the majority of the cast to time travel, the threat seems inconsequential.
    Phase 4 is Flashpoint before DC get to do it!

My name is Captain Marvel, and i'm the only hero over powered enough to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

5star02707 wrote: »

Yeah he's in the Peggy Carter TV series a lot also :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmm maybe I've seen too much sci-fi and just got how the time travel here worked.
    The Ancient One explained it. They drew a line. They showed the split. They made it simple.

It is not: go back, change something, come forward and it will have changed in your past.

It is:
    • go back, change something, you have a new universe created separately
      the new universe will have a different future from yours but it is not your universe
    • you return to where you came from.. your original universe
      you have your original timeline, your past hasn't changed
      your universe it separate from the one you created by travelling back

This is what I was getting at earlier:
    Slydice wrote: »
    You know who got off pretty lightly...

the other Universe which Gamora, Nebula and Thanos .. his army and his big ship .. all left behind to come forward in time.

you know what as well.. now we've got the big ship that Thanos brought. Granted Captain Marvel knocked lumps out of it but it looked like a good chunk that crashed into the lake will be salvagable.

Like there's other stuff too.

Cos our Captain America more than likely created another Universe

We can still have a Captain America at the end, but either he also came back from his original Universe or maybe he's an imposter. Could be a part of phase 4 setup, cos where'd the hammer go etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm coining the name Robert Thoratheon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

In the grand scheme of things I think the effects on the timeline of Cap living out his life with Peggy will nothing compared to Thanos dying 4 years before he's meant to!!
    Slydice wrote: »
    Hrmmm maybe I've seen too much sci-fi and just got how the time travel here worked.
    The Ancient One explained it. They drew a line. They showed the split. They made it simple.

It is not: go back, change something, come forward and it will have changed in your past.

It is:
    • go back, change something, you have a new universe created separately
      the new universe will have a different future from yours but it is not your universe
    • you return to where you came from.. your original universe
      you have your original timeline, your past hasn't changed
      your universe it separate from the one you created by travelling back

This is what I was getting at earlier:

Like there's other stuff too.

Cos our Captain America more than likely created another Universe

We can still have a Captain America at the end, but either he also came back from his original Universe or maybe he's an imposter. Could be a part of phase 4 setup, cos where'd the hammer go etc

Wasn't the Ancient One only showing the effect of taking the stones out of the timeline, not of time travel in general? That's why they had to make sure the stones were returned to the proper time and place. Bad things would happen otherwise. But on the other hand, no one seemed overly concerned about the effects of Loki escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Kirby wrote: »
    Teenagers are the worst. So little regard for anyone else around them. Wouldn't shut the f*ck up with the constant loud talking and I've never heard a cinema so loud when it comes to snacks. Like some of these gobsh*tes behind me HAD to have been doing it on purpose. Imagine a plastic bag being smashed and crinkled for three f*cking hours straight and you get the idea. Oh, and chew with your mouth closed ffs.

I've never been more annoyed and distracted in any screening before. This film's release coinciding with school holidays was a disaster. If I wasn't concerned with missing bits of the film, I'd have demanded that the staff kick them out. Proper f*cking scumbags. :mad:

Despite that, I still enjoyed the film.

Holy ****, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Guy sitting next to me spent the first half hour sucking his fingers after eating nachos, then spent the next 2 hours eating popcorn with his mouth open. All while the guy behind me spent about 20 mins opening up a chocolate bar. First half an hour of the film I genuinely couldn't concentrate. ****ing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Holy ****, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Guy sitting next to me spent the first half hour sucking his fingers after eating nachos, then spent the next 2 hours eating popcorn with his mouth open. All while the guy behind me spent about 20 mins opening up a chocolate bar. First half an hour of the film I genuinely couldn't concentrate. ****ing people.

all it means is we just have to watch it all over again when the hype dies down :P give it a week or try an earlier screening and there will be less peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Saw it last night, on a high level I thought it was an enjoyable way to spend 3 hours, and a fitting end to the franchise as we've known it BUT I think overall IW was a better movie.

Things I liked:
    Steve/Cap story
    Tony / Iron Man story (despite not being an Iron man fan)
    loved his interaction with John Slattery
    Thor story, I thought it was a more emotional journey than I would have been expecting from Thor, loved
    his mother coming back
    the
    return of everyone lost in the snap mid battle
    and
    Nebula literally killing her former self to save her sister I really like that she is the one to avenge her sister rather than Quill

Things I disliked:
    The seeds of
    alt timeline Loki escaping and no follow up
    Everything with Hawkeye, like does anyone care about this guy?
    Black Widow dying instead of Hawkeye
    like don't
    kill off your only female avenger
    and expect props form me for your pandering "women of marvel" mid battle scene. The entire thing is preposterous narratively how did they all find each other, it makes no sense for them to be all together they don't all know each other? a scene with the dora milaje would have been more effective at achieving a "girl power" moment that seemed less pandering. All that aside it's just lip service if they wanted to send that message they should have done it years ago with a black widow movie before DC cleaned up with WW.
    Steve getting old and coming back, I thought part of his deal was he couldn't age. I'd have preferred him to end up dancing with Peggy without the coming back to explain as it was clear he was going to go back to the past when he sees her in 1970

If the Ancient One has the Time Stone during the NY attack and is protecting the sanctum, why didnt she help the Avengers? :o

Time travel is great and all but it throws up too many questions and plot holes from previous films and events.

Cap was tasked with returning the Stones to a time I'm assuming immediately after they were taken to reverse the snap which opens up a whole load of questions, how do you return the soul stone and does it bring Nath back, also meeting Red Skull again must have been great fun for Cap.

He has to go back to a military base under lock down to return the tesseract to a highly secure area where they were looking for a person matching his description.

Quill is K/O'd so does Cap just tuck the Power Stone into his pocket etc etc

Or have I this all screwed up, I fear I do....bloody mad time travel. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lots of differing views on how time travel should work etc..

But I assume everyone is on the same page about "that scene" with the ridiculously shoehorned girl power shot? I cringed so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I always go to the early showings and always enjoy a very quiet showing, The film was epic
    time travel made the film very entertaining especially for long time fans who got to see some of their favorite scenes from new angles. Really like all the little moments like cap fighting with Thor's hammer. Captain Marvel is still very overpowered and I am happy she was not in too much of the film, I felt the same way about Vision but they nurfed him at the start of infinity war so his power level did not negatively effect that film. It was a little slow near the start when every one was moping around but it needed that to contrast the full speed ahead nature of the rest of the movie
    A fine end to a great universe and glad I was along for the ride, I hope they continue to make good films but am worry they take inspiration from modern comics which are just political garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If that scene makes my daughter/niece/missus feel in any way empowered and want to enjoy and love what I do most (movie-wise) well then I'm all for it. It was 15 seconds, it affected nobody personally and if it did then I'd consider carefully looking at yourself and wondering why you're offended at 10 women in the biggest movie ever made :)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Lots of differing views on how time travel should work etc..

But I assume everyone is on the same page about "that scene" with the ridiculously shoehorned girl power shot? I cringed so hard.

Ya, I even turned and left out a slightly audible "bollocks" to the fiancee and the guy next to her smiled and chuckled.

It was worth of an eye roll it was so hammed up and forced into shot, it was totally out of context with what was happening too at the time. As people have said earlier, there was no way they would have all lined up for an assault on Thanos and his army as barely any of them had any interaction with the other group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If the Ancient One has the Time Stone during the NY attack and is protecting the sanctum, why didnt she help the Avengers? :o

Time travel is great and all but it throws up too many questions and plot holes from previous films and events.

Cap was tasked with returning the Stones to a time I'm assuming immediately after they were taken to reverse the snap which opens up a whole load of questions, how do you return the soul stone and does it bring Nath back, also meeting Red Skull again must have been great fun for Cap.

He has to go back to a military base under lock down to return the tesseract to a highly secure area where they were looking for a person matching his description.

Quill is K/O'd so does Cap just tuck the Power Stone into his pocket etc etc

Or have I this all screwed up, I fear I do....bloody mad time travel. :pac:

I had the exact same thoughts, the Ancient One is selfish so and the stone is everything to her so her priority was on that.

I asked the exact same thing about returning the soul stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

I saw this on Twitter. I thought it was pretty poignant:

D5EP9f9UEAA-54Y.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

If that scene makes my daughter/niece/missus feel in any way empowered and want to enjoy and love what I do most (movie-wise) well then I'm all for it. It was 15 seconds, it affected nobody personally and if it did then I'd consider carefully looking at yourself and wondering why you're offended at 10 women in the biggest movie ever made :)

I'm all for the empowerment of women, but marvel would have served its self and female empowerment better if they'd gotten the finger out years ago and had a female driven movie, or not fridged their female avenger for feckin Hawkeye!!
    They managed a balanced empowering movie in Black Panther that didn't look like pandering to women, so they're capable of it, they just don't seem to care and thought a token gesture was enough!

I didnt like Black Panther or Captain Marvel, I think they were average enough origin stories that were pandering and some people were afraid to criticise at the time, in saying that, both were better than Ant Man & the Wasp and Dr. Strange, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Some guy and his young son just walked past me on the street in swords. All I Hard was , “so there can’t be any more iron man movies!”.

That’s why , if it matters to you, you goto these sort of movies on open day. Thank god it didn’t matter to me!!!

Shows are selling out everythere, I was thinking of going to it again but it’s just cleaning up!!!!

• Advertisement

I had the exact same thoughts, the Ancient One is selfish so and the stone is everything to her so her priority was on that.

I asked the exact same thing about returning the soul stone.

I get that, Strange himself said the same on the way to Titan, as a stone keeper it was his only job to protect it at all costs.

The ancient one only gave Banner the stone when he told her that Strange gave it up to Thanos and she was trusting future Stranges judgement as he was the best of them.

But she could have helped out a little, she was sitting on her rooftop watching the world burn, Dr. Strange is now charged with protecting the earth from exactly the type of attack that would have happened during the first invasion so the Ancient Ones placing in NY at the time of the attack and her only looking for the soul stone was a but of a cop out.

I think those kind of explanations could have been handled a bit better.

Thats just nit picking though, it was enjoyable enough romp and end to what was a mad decade of films and stories that roughly chopped together to bring us to Endgame.

Advertisement