Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Triangla wrote: »
    A mate of mine who is prone to injury got an entry, I told him I bags it if he can't do the race.

I got a text off him this morning, his knee is f**ked and he has to go to the Dr.

I reckon that's my entry sorted.

can you transfer like that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i dont think so
    they are non tranferable me thinks ( to other people )
    an entry can be tranfered to another race if that race is not sold out.
    ( admin fee is charged. would be interested to know how much it is )

should be in T and C s and i think it ,mentioned refund % ,on the email somebody posted on this thread from and email from ironman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A mate of mine who is prone to injury got an entry, I told him I bags it if he can't do the race.

I got a text off him this morning, his knee is f**ked and he has to go to the Dr.

I doubt it very much - Think they are very strict on these as I would expect they make a fortune from people backing out - its a beautiful double dip for them as they keep some % money depending on when you back out - do they sell them on again then on the sly to preferred customers.

He will be off to Pula or some other far flung destination that doesn't sell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

catweazle wrote: »
    I doubt it very much - Think they are very strict on these as I would expect they make a fortune from people backing out - its a beautiful double dip for them as they keep some % money depending on when you back out - do they sell them on again then on the sly to preferred customers.

He will be off to Pula or some other far flung destination that doesn't sell out

They do, thats why they always have various 'drop out' dates running up to an event in which people can get a certain % back on their entry fee. The closer an entrant gets to race date the smaller that percentage gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Pm1e wrote: »
    They do, thats why they always have various 'drop out' dates running up to an event in which people can get a certain % back on their entry fee. The closer an entrant gets to race date the smaller that percentage gets.

Yes I know that but I guess I didn't make it clear in the post, the injured party will get a % of what he paid back if he drops out, decreasing the closer it gets to the date or an entry to another not full 1/2 somewhere else

He will not be able to transfer his entry to a friend though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If people have entered that cannot swim, surely your friend has time to recover. Then he too can get the same tattoo as Optimus Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

He was winding my up, sent me a "scan" of his knee injury this morning.

Raging over it, he actually is prone to injury and has had to pull out of a few races. At least now when it happens I won't feel so bad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ahahahahahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Raging over it, he actually is prone to injury and has had to pull out of a few races. At least now when it happens I won't feel so bad for him.

Yeah, I'd say he's a bit of a snake that fella!!

You can ask him did he realise he had been photobombed by his boyfriend, might get him back in his box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

just do a "tonya harding" on him, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

Does anyone know if we get a goody bag or anything with our entry fee?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

paddlepop wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we get a goody bag or anything with our entry fee?

Youll get a race souvenir - usually a rucksack, your finishers medal and tee shirt. That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

That'll do fine. Thanks for replying.
    Happy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Any confirmation on the route yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Swim scotsmans bay
    Bike routes on their website.
    Run in phoenix park.(route TBC)

http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/athletes/course.aspx#axzz3Qud5jjD4

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Swim scotsmans bay

Any opinions as to whether or not the swim will actually take place in Scotsman's Bay given the lack of entry/exit points and that it was one of the worst spots for jellyfish last year?

Any opinions as to whether or not the swim will actually take place in Scotsman's Bay given the lack of entry/exit points and that it was one of the worst spots for jellyfish last year?

I'd imagine there'll be little room for movement. Where else would they put T1? As for entry exit points i'd imagine they'll build ramps to suit their needs.

Transition would look great on he harbour wall but can't imagine it would be an option.

DLR coco trawled Scotsmans bay last July and yanked out something like 70-odd Lions Mane jellies in 4 hours so I would imagine at the very least a sweep of the bay will happen at some point before this event. Water temps were unusually mild last summer so we got a few more of the buggers popping up. I would also imagine the organisers will sort ramps for access but I wouldn't be massively surprised if we see an update between now and then describing waves for this race, which mitigates the space issue at the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

MojoMaker wrote: »
    but I wouldn't be massively surprised if we see an update between now and then describing waves for this race, which mitigates the space issue at the location.

I'm 99.9% certain I read somewhere that they're doing a wave start. I think it was in some online Ironman brochure/magazine they emailed around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm not giving Peter his money until I hear someone crossed the finish line.

5,5 % interest rate of course.

That's pretty cheap. An Irish bank would charge at least 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's pretty cheap. An Irish bank would charge at least 10%.

The Germans have been giving us cheap credit for years. Really, they're to blame for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just be glad its Euros and not Sterling that the bet was made in.

BTH wrote: »
    The Germans have been giving us cheap credit for years. Really, they're to blame for everything.

ok it seems like gerneral consensus is that 10 % is the interest rate. I am always willing to listen to good advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

peter kern wrote: »
    ok it seems like gerneral consensus is that 10 % is the interest rate. I am always willing to listen to good advise.

Id say u should also go to daves house every few months and make sure he is budgeting properly!!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Id say u should also go to daves house every few months and make sure he is budgeting properly!!

Not sure who would be more difficult to control Tsipras or Dave...

Out of curiosity I cycled the proposed bike route at the weekend. I honestly don't know how they're going to handle the route through Dublin and I can only assume they're going to be out filling some of the craters in the road.

Also the number of man holes and metal drain covers on the apex of corners if it's anyway wet on race day there's potential for a number of accidents.

The route overall isn't overly taxing. I wouldn't say it was flat but no real climbs either just plenty of little ramps a bit of a drag coming up out of T1 and a number of twists and turns the one going down to the ferry port is a nasty one in that it is off camber and a bit greasy as it doesn't get a whole lot of use. You can put the pedal down goin out through Blackrock and out the coast road then a bit of faffing about in the city (I can only assume there'll be lane closures).

A welcome break getting into the park and another ramp up out of it towards castleknock the rest was more or less the same twists and turns dodgy road surfaces. Once you turn on the return it's more or less flat and down hill. A bit of climbing into T2.

It won't be a PB course and it strengthened my doubts of this race actually going ahead. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they scratched this route and just had 3-4 laps of the park similar to DCT course.

Tunneys fiver may well be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It won't be a PB course and it strengthened my doubts of this race actually going ahead. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they scratched this route and just had 3-4 laps of the park similar to DCT course.
    I reckon Dublin roads were never gonna be PB course, anyone who's cycled Irish roads will be fine and know what to expect. Some of the European names may be in for a surprise or two.

The roads will be a similar standard as most Irish HIM's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement