Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle Launch Visible from Ireland Tonight

Options

Comments

@ Stargate.

I'm using the same websites as you. But, I'm using Starry Night Pro Plus as my application. It's a truely brilliant program (it includes the Shuttle in its tracking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

-JammyDodger-

Tnx for the reply , i used to use starry night , the two progs i use are brill too tho , really excellent progs , can be configured to track anything , i also use Stellarium , thats why i asked you earlier -JammyDodger- re Comet 22P/Kopff :D

I used Stellarium when tracking comet Lulin a few months back !

Tnx -JammyDodger-

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stargate wrote: »
    -JammyDodger-

Do you know what the record number of views is for a particular topic ???
    Jez , 21 Thousand and climbing :D for this

Great to see such interest :)

Stargate

Well its certainly a record for me. I've never started a 45 page, 668 reply, 22,250 views thread before :D

Fabulous to see alright. Right at this moment there are 80 people viewing the Astronomy forum. Its usually 2 or 3 ! :D [Correction] 198!! :D

Like I said previously, it was almost good that the event was scrubbed twice both in terms of our weather here (More people got to see it with clear skies Wednesday than would have on Sunday or Monday) and because it racked up the Tension and the excitement. It went from being an unusual Shuttle flyover with the Fuel tank to an exciting 'Will they, Won't they' launch. I've seen lots of Launches on TV before but I never got Goosebumps watching like I did last night...and then to go outside and see it 18 minutes later and so much more spectacularily than I was expecting....

It turned into a real communal event where we all shared the excitement even with those with only a passing interest in space and astronomy. \

Like you said, even if only a handful of people get into the hobby as a result then it was a great result.

Calibos wrote: »
    Well its certainly a record for me. I've never started a 45 page, 668 reply, 22,250 views thread before :D

Fabulous to see alright. Right at this moment there are 80 people viewing the Astronomy forum. Its usually 2 or 3 ! :D

Like I said previously, it was almost good that the event was scrubbed twice both in terms of our weather here (More people got to see it with clear skies Wednesday than would have on Sunday or Monday) and because it racked up the Tension and the excitement. It went from being an unusual Shuttle flyover with the Fuel tank to an exciting 'Will they, Won't they' launch. I've seen lots of Launches on TV before but I never got Goosebumps watching like I did last night...and then to go outside and see it 18 minutes later and so much more spectacularily than I was expecting....

It turned into a real communal event where we all shared the excitement even with those with only a passing interest in space and astronomy. \

Like you said, even if only a handful of people get into the hobby as a result then it was a great result.

Calibos LOL

very well put , brill last two nights , congrats on the thread starter haha .
    i think the whole of the country has gotten the bug due to the launch , isnt it fantastic for astronomy in Ireland , so many post and so many posters , its hard to keep up with it all lol

been over on the IFAS site also , always great :):)

Did you see anything the last pass of the ISS Calibos ?

DAMN CLOUDY HERe

Hoping for a look at the SS at 22:56

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee skies clear :mad::mad:

Regards
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Forgot about the ISS, just watched the shuttle fly overhead here in Roscommon. Beautiful clear light free night, sometimes it is good to live in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement

Ronan|Raven

Your lucky ,
    damn cloud here all night , didnt see 1 pass :mad:

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

Will the shuttle/ISS fly over another night soon?
    Was to cloudy to see anything here
    :(

LeotheLion wrote: »
    Will the shuttle/ISS fly over another night soon?
    Was to cloudy to see anything here
    :(

They'll both pass again tomorrow night.

The ISS passes, at a suitable time, about 8 days per month. But, if you're up for staying up late, it passes ~14 times per month. (it actually passes well over a dozen times a day, I'm just talking about when they'll be in view).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

They'll both pass again tomorrow night.

The ISS passes, at a suitable time, about 8 days per month. But, if you're up for staying up late, it passes ~14 times per month. (it actually passes well over a dozen times a day, I'm just talking about when they'll be in view).

coola boola,
    will it be 22:29 and 22:59 again?

ISS is making another pass at 00:06 for anyone interested. Not as bright as the first one tonight (mag -2.7). >>>>quote from jumpguy

i might stay up lol
    Stargate:)

• Advertisement

LeotheLion wrote: »
    coola boola,
    will it be 22:29 and 22:59 again?

Nope, it's different every night.

Go here and register (it'll ask you for your location and stuff. Then once you sign in, you'll see a button entitled ISS, that'll give you the times/directions that you need to see it. You'll also see a button entitled STS-127, that'll give you times/directions to see the Shuttle.

Nope, it's different every night.

Go here and register (it'll ask you for your location and stuff. Then once you sign in, you'll see a button entitled ISS, that'll give you the times/directions that you need to see it. You'll also see a button entitled STS-127, that'll give you times/directions to see the Shuttle.

-JammyDodger-
    Jez youve been busy tonight :D
    hows your fingers from typing , any blood yet? lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twalsh

I registered with heavens-above and set my location. However, when I check the time of passes i get three for one date and two for another date and one for another....why is that? The times are all different and I dont understand how there are more than one entry for one date?

Can someone help? Tks. :-)

twalsh wrote: »
    I registered with heavens-above and set my location. However, when I check the time of passes i get three for one date and two for another date and one for another....why is that? The times are all different and I dont understand how there are more than one entry for one date?

It's all just a matter of chance, really. We typically see it between 10 PM and 1 PM. Some of the times you are looking at might be just be 20 min after 12, so it appears as the next days date. As a rule of thumb, there's typically 2 passes per night on the nights that it's visible.

just saw nice pass of ISS here in Cork , bit cloudy but she looks as beautiful as ever :D

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The ISS passes over us 12 time a day but we only see it when we on the ground are already in the earths shadow, ie its dusk/night and the sun is below the horizon for us but the ISS 400 miles up is still in the sunlight. We don't see the other ISS passes when both we and the ISS are in the earths shadow. Thus we only see the ISS within about 2 hours of our dusk and dawn.

Here's a very simple diagram to illustrate. Later in the night all our sky is in the earths shadow if you get me. Thus no sunlight to reflect off the ISS for us to see. The ISS goes over every 90 miuntes or so. So in that 2 hour period after dusk or before dawn sometimes it'll go over twice in that 2 hour window at dusk and dawn and sometimes only once
    isspass.gif

Calibos

Nice drawing lol

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twalsh

Thanks Calibos and JammyDogger. My kids have been facinated since seeing Endeavor go over last night just 18mins after it launched in Florida. So the questions have begun and they got to see Endeavor again tonight and also ISS at 12.04 as we missed it the first time.

Thanks to all who keep posting the times, way easier than trying to look them up.. Cheers everybody.
    Nite nite and sweet dreams.

Thanks Calibos and JammyDogger. My kids have been facinated since seeing Endeavor go over last night just 18mins after it launched in Florida. So the questions have begun and they got to see Endeavor again tonight and also ISS at 12.04 as we missed it the first time.

Thanks to all who keep posting the times, way easier than trying to look them up.. Cheers everybody.
    Nite nite and sweet dreams.

What a nice post Twalsh :):):):)

im delighted you all got to see the SS , specially the kids ,

nite from Cork
    Stargate , and tnx :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Calibos wrote: »
    The ISS passes over us 12 time a day but we only see it when we on the ground are already in the earths shadow, ie its dusk/night and the sun is below the horizon for us but the ISS 400 miles up is still in the sunlight. We don't see the other ISS passes when both we and the ISS are in the earths shadow. Thus we only see the ISS within about 2 hours of our dusk and dawn.

Here's a very simple diagram to illustrate. Later in the night all our sky is in the earths shadow if you get me. Thus no sunlight to reflect off the ISS for us to see. The ISS goes over every 90 miuntes or so. So in that 2 hour period after dusk or before dawn sometimes it'll go over twice in that 2 hour window at dusk and dawn and sometimes only once
    isspass.gif
    Well done! Very well explained and illustrated.

• Advertisement

Will there be anything visible over Ireland after the shuttle launch later tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

well it'll be after half six when its launched ,probably be bright here then so id doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Frank Ryan Jr

You might see it.
    Last time they were really bright.
    I've see the ISS in bright light.
    I'll be up then anyway so I'm gonna keep a look out...
    weather permitting of course.

Postponed due to stormy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Postponed due to stormy weather.

So are we likely to see this tomorrow morning now instead? Do I still have to get up early?

From Twitter

NASA The launch director conducted his poll & all positions are "go" for a 11:59pET liftoff. The climb to orbit takes 8.5 mins.

It's still nice and dark out, I hope we get to see something again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

If I have this right, according to the Heavens Above site..

"29 Aug 21:25:51 WNW to 21:29:20 WSW 21:32:45" Thats BST.

So if it stays clear should we see something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

just a reminder that the space shuttle is due to do its belly flip at 01.02(for its tiles to be inspected)

and dock with the internatinal space station at 02.04.

no guarentee that there will be live coverage on NASA tv as they may be out of range of there tracking and relay satelites.

but already this evening spectaculor live pictures of the shuttle approaching the iss are/ have been on NASA TV as viewed from the iss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ISS/Discovery will be visible again in the evenings starting next Mon 7 Sept. On that night it is only visible for about 10sec so from Tuesday on its better.
    Click links below for times in your area.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

I was keeping an eye out for it for the last few nights-it was supposed to pass last night at one minute past twelve coming from SSW and heading E, according to heavensabove-it was way too overcast to see anything though. Or did I get it wrong? It also seems to be on a different orbit than July. Was worth going out to have a look though-a family of foxes have been living in a field boundary behind the house for years and last night, which was spooky enough here :eek: moon creating shadows from beind cloud, cows coughing in the field etc. -one of the foxes hopped up on the wall surrounding the house and sat there for a couple of minutes-not a bother on him! My heart nearly stopped as I was only about 5 or 6m away. Then it started to rain....

Advertisement