Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish TV Station coming: Channel 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

channel6.ie is registered, and I found this on google:
    http://www.businessworld.ie/cgi-bin/printer_friendly?a=1166232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

They now have the makings of a website.....

www.channel6.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

this can only be good news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Is it all of Ireland or just Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally posted by Dub13
    this can only be good news...

Maybe, i'm expecting more TV3 type thrash with 30mins ad breaks out of every 60 aimed at teenybobbers with crazy frog ads all day long, come on people this is Ireland, it'll never work, its probably a gimmick to get some of the money that is being doshed out from RTEs licence fee, remember TV3 refused it. It will probably reduce the signal strenght to rural areas in the hills if it goes nationwide, can we expect it on $ky ?

Regards netwhizkid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

well since tv3 has become an itv relay for those out of the terrestrial signal, the could licence it on the same grounds as tv3 had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

1. Why Channel 6, though? Given that there are only 4 Irish terrestrial channels.

2. The website doesn't state that it will be available on analogue terrestrial. Is there any point in going through the hassle of launching a new analogue terrestrial channel?

3. Will it be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Richard wrote:
    2. The website doesn't state that it will be available on analogue terrestrial. Is there any point in going through the hassle of launching a new analogue terrestrial channel?

It will not be allowed on analouge terrestrial, any new channels must be digital only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Merging with existing thread open in Broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

From the Sunday Business Post -

"Channel 6 will operate initially on a British licence, having opted for this route as “the most straightforward and predictable'‘, according to Donnelly.

It is planning to run around 16 hours of Irish programming a week,with themes focused on youth-oriented issues such as fashion and music. The remainder of programming will be American and British, in a style Donnelly said was typified by shows like Sex and the City and Men Behaving Badly.

“Our longer-term intention is to have an Irish licence, and we are still in talks with the BCI,” saidDonnelly. A priority for Channel 6 is to have access to an analogue carrier service.

“Digital may take over in four or five years' time but, for now, analogue delivers the whole of Dublin and all the major urban centres.”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In other words, they need NTL analogue carrige, if they are going to be taken seriously. A favourable EPG position wouldn't go astray, either...

I cannot believe that they will actually commission this much Irish programming. It is far more than the entire non-news (and Ireland AM) output of the official independent television contractor, TV3. Obviously they will not be providing news and current affairs, but what will it be? Cheap and cheerful most likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

icdg wrote:
    In other words, they need NTL analogue carrige, if they are going to be taken seriously. A favourable EPG position wouldn't go astray, either...

I cannot believe that they will actually commission this much Irish programming. It is far more than the entire non-news (and Ireland AM) output of the official independent television contractor, TV3. Obviously they will not be providing news and current affairs, but what will it be? Cheap and cheerful most likely...

Dreathar Mór??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its gonna be sh1te! Seriously, why would anyone want to watch a station which carries the same output as Paramount, UK Gold and E4? As for freshly commissioned shows...they'll be the last word in bargin basement filler material.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Paramount and E4 are great and this will really good for irish actors and scriptwriters! The more irish production the more talent scouts will come here to get ppl!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Paramount and E4 are great and this will really good for irish actors and scriptwriters! The more irish production the more talent scouts will come here to get ppl!

I have to say that I am dissappointed in Paramount I thought it would have been better. As for E4 well if you like repeat after repeat after repeat its alright. But they only have about 5 shows.

1. Why take the talent away from Ireland.
    2. Unless they actually produce a Drama/Comedy scriptwriters are not going to be scouted on less they move over to LONDON.
    3. If only TV3 was to help Irish Talent in this way. But unfortunately they have failed us totally, as have RTE.

Pat Donelly has said that TG4 have done more in the past 10 years on air to promote Irish Talent then RTE and TV3 put together. He said he hopes to pick up on some of the success stories of TG4 and hope to provide an outlet for Irish Talent. I hope he can do it. I assume that most of the Irish Shows will be along the lines of E4 and TG4 presenters rather then Actors.

I some how cann't see them producing a soap or drama. Anytime soon.

What TG4 have only produced hector! Thats all, TV3 have Dermot Whelan, Claire Byrne, Alan Cantwell, Trevor Welch, Aidan Cooney, Lorraine Keane, Martin King, Maura Derrane, Mark Cagney, Alan Hughes and Ursula Halligan! And RTE ... well I wont go down that long list of celebs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

celebs!

take it easy now :eek:

There was a report in today's Irish Times saying that Channel 6 had done a deal with Paramount for programming and how it might lead to a conflict between Paramount Comedy (with their new Irish opt-out) and Channel 6 for programming rights.

Paramount own paramount comedy (hint the name), that would be like TV3 and UTV arguing over program rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Funny things is, UTV are arguing with TV3 over programming rights!!!

• Advertisement

What TG4 have only produced hector! Thats all, TV3 have Dermot Whelan, Claire Byrne, Alan Cantwell, Trevor Welch, Aidan Cooney, Lorraine Keane, Martin King, Maura Derrane, Mark Cagney, Alan Hughes and Ursula Halligan!

You have just named all of TV3 presenters. For the last 7 years.

TG4 have Hector, all of the actors on Ros Na Run, Grainne Seoige, Sile Seoige, they have provided national sporting programmes LIVE sport, Maura Derrane (I think started on TG4), Aoife Ní Thuairisg, Presenters for Clua 4 and Pop 4 .......... Many of the TV3 reporters and Sky News Ireland Reporters.

TG4 actally need to have Irish people producing and presenting and acting in most of their shows they have no choice.

Alan Hughes Start life as Talkabout host :mad: he was bad then and is bad now.

Ursula Halligan is just plain annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Passed her again doing her power walk on Molesworth St the other day :rolleyes:

Paramount own paramount comedy (hint the name), that would be like TV3 and UTV arguing over program rights!

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Paramount have done a deal to supply Channel 6 with some programmes. Paramount Comedy is owned by Viacom, Paramount Studios is also owned by Viacom, but this does not mean that Paramount Comedy don't have to bid and pay for programming from Paramount Studios. Channel 6 will presumably be buying just Irish broadcast rights but that may affect Paramount Comedy since they broadcast to Ireland.

TV3 are keeping UTV off the Irish EPG due to programme rights ! UTV want to be available on the Irish EPG. WOuld that be classed as arguing over programme rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Elmo wrote:
    You have just named all of TV3 presenters. For the last 7 years.

TG4 have Hector, all of the actors on Ros Na Run, Grainne Seoige, Sile Seoige, they have provided national sporting programmes LIVE sport, Maura Derrane (I think started on TG4), Aoife Ní Thuairisg, Presenters for Clua 4 and Pop 4 .......... Many of the TV3 reporters and Sky News Ireland Reporters.

Funny how you say they have promoted so many people and then you can barely name any of them ;) And of those you do manage to name, the 2 Seoiges and Hector are the only ones most people are likely to be familiar with. And Grainne Seoige bacame known via TV3 and Sile became known because she is Grainnes sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The BCI's not the only reason that they'd initially at least, operate out of the UK.

#1 There are loads of reasonably priced studio facilities available in the London area in particular.
    #2 It's very easy to uplink from the UK, again particularly London due to a huge number of other channels being located there. You wouldn't need to invest heavily in equipment, where as if you were doing it in Ireland you would probabally have to build everything from scratch.
    #3 There are plenty of skilled broadcast staff (technical, producers etc) again in the London area. Getting access to these people in Dublin isn't quite as easy, there are far fewer well experienced freelancers simply because the market is very small. It has nothing to do with the quality of Irish TV crews. In the London area, there are hundreds of small channels and international channels that continiously need crew, producers etc for short periods of time.

The BCI licence's a minor issue in comparison to all of the above.

TV3 would be committing sucicide if they, as suggested, decamped to the UK.
    They'd possibly loose their 103 position on Sky, MMDS operators might decide to drop them in favour of channels with better programming They could also be dropped from analogue cable in favour of E4 or BBC3 etc and might end up with very unfavourable positioning on digital cable. and they'd loose their rights to all sorts of first-run content that they have access to as they are only licenced to operate within the Irish market.

That would include all the football stuff and Corry!

TV3 has actually developed a very strong audience in rural Ireland that often watches it directly off air rather than via sat and cable. TV3 news in particular has really made a huge effort to be very national in the way it covers Ireland and in many ways does a far better job of regional news than RTE (or Sky News Ireland). If it lost its terrestrial feed in Ireland it could be a complete disaster for the channel. I can't see them giving that up easily! Not to mention the fact that it would leave the slot open for someone else to come in and replace them.

It would also be a P.R. disaster!

This new channel may also have difficulty negociating rights to bought-in content, like US shows, British and Aus/NZ programming and international sporting events!

I think the comment about TV3 is just someone having a stab at the BCI and to be fair, the BCI does tend to create a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy and get overly involved in petty details. Talk to anyone in the commercial radio sector!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Solair wrote:
    TV3 news in particular has really made a huge effort to be very national in the way it covers Ireland and in many ways does a far better job of regional news than RTE

Okay, this just has to be explained :confused:

TV3 would be committing sucicide if they, as suggested, decamped to the UK.

well it was TV3's CEO rick hethrington who suggested it.

I don't think many people would miss TV3 either in the way it covers news or sports.

TV3 could provide what TG4 provides as far as sport is concerned. It only cost TG4 3.3million or so for the sport it provides. And i am sure TV3 would secure an even larger audience with it. TG4 already command a respectable share of the sporting audience. Indeed Setanta is copying what TG4 have done for sport and may end up out passing TV3 if it already hasn't.
    Funny how you say they have promoted so many people and then you can barely name any of them And of those you do manage to name, the 2 Seoiges and Hector are the only ones most people are likely to be familiar with. And Grainne Seoige bacame known via TV3 and Sile became known because she is Grainnes sister.

Imagine if TV3 was promoting all of those people. TG4 are at least providing a steping stone into Irish TV, thats all i am saying. TV3 does not. As I said most of the people who have start out on TG4 have moved on to RTE or TV3.

Amanda Bryham (sp?) is the exception to the rule :mad: I don't like her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Hector actually started in TV3 too lads and lassies! He Presented a Kids programme called Gimme3 before anything on tg4 or RTE!

Hector actually started in TV3 too lads and lassies! He Presented a Kids programme called Gimme3 before anything on tg4 or RTE!

Yep thats true with Clodagh. Who also went on to TG4?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    I don't think many people would miss TV3 either in the way it covers news or sports.

I would i think they do a better job than RTÉ, than Sky News Ireland and Than Euronews over on TG4 ( do they do national coverage???)

TV3 are Irelands leading sports broadcaster. They are responsible for the rejunivination of Irish Soccer through shows like eircom league weekly! They stood up to the plate whereas RTÉ just ditched it in favour of UK and EU soccer, TV3 acted like Public Service in that case!!!!

Sports Tonight talks about every major (enough) sport in Ireland, it really helps sports out, such as Soccer... but also Irish Basketball (even though Chorus have the main contract)!

They also have UK soccer and Champions League games!
    Elmo wrote:
    TG4 are at least providing a steping stone into Irish TV, thats all i am saying. TV3 does not. As I said most of the people who have start out on TG4 have moved on to RTE or TV3.

Are u serious??? Its true, but i really cant see how that helps your argument! People get onto TG4, just to move up to TV3 and RTE!(and thats how TG4 is better??)!

Anyway, i cant wait of Channel 6!

Advertisement