Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mags

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

My understanding of the law on "parts/screws" etc is that it came from the "troubles"

Apparently bold boys and girls may have been transporting firearms in parts, one bit at a time, and one journey at a time so if Mary was stopped with a XY Screw, there was nothing they could do, as it in itself was not a firearm, so they amended the law to cover this eventuality.

Now I could be wrong, but I heard this many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Richard308 wrote: »
    Can you imagine being before a judge and saying this 5/8 screw is a firearm. Poor prosecution would probably be held in contempt
    I have no idea how anyone could imagine it, it's preposterous in my own opinion.

Agreed that it sounds preposterous, absolutely ridiculous, but that appears to be what the law says.. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time that firearms laws here in Ireland were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I agree, its sounds absolutely crazy and nonsensical but that is just my understanding of the law as it stands, I would not care to go to court to try and defend myself against the state for possessing a firearm part that I had no license for, you only need the wrong judge to sit and rule and you could be in a world of trouble.
    I don't like the law as it stands but I am not the one to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I agree, its sounds absolutely crazy and nonsensical but that is just my understanding of the law as it stands, I would not care to go to court to try and defend myself against the state for possessing a firearm part that I had no license for, you only need the wrong judge to sit and rule and you could be in a world of trouble.
    I don't like the law as it stands but I am not the one to fight it.

As was said earlier the only person in any danger from a judge would be the prosecutor.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As was said earlier the only person in any danger from a judge would be the prosecutor.

That is an opinion, not a statement of legal fact.
    You are entitled to your opinion but I would not risk my licenses based on information from an Internet forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement