Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread in Appreciation of the Ryan Tubridy Radio Show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭StevenToast

It was suggested to me that there should be a space where enthusiastic followers of the Ryan Tubridy Show should feel comfortable to discuss their liking of the show. The same people have not yet availed. Will close thread if folk do not come on board in that spirit, can always then reopen if a demand is re-expressed for it on the "wry look" thread.

You wont hear from them because they dont exist....

Just like all the beautiful emails and kind texts the show "receives" from gorgeous listeners...

I call these "friends" of the Ryan Tubridy show.........FAN-TOMS...... Phantoms of tubridys imagination (feel free to use that one!)

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What was the daily listener figure for last year?

Something like 380,000 and up from 2019.

Seems to me that a lot of people are happy enough with the show.

When this thread was started I said I'd give it a go and I have read it so far.

I haven't been moved to post up to now.

It is quiet and if the mods want to close it I doubt there will be any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭plodder

Thought Boards was a forum where topics were discussed . Not a forum where topics were discussed " if you agree with them " ?
    and "safe spaces". A sign of our times perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

plodder wrote: »
    and "safe spaces". A sign of our times perhaps?

Should really have used “ call out “ and “ woke “ in thread title to cover all the latest buzz words. Tubs would

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It looks like this thread was set up to fail deliberately, and there already plots to shut it down before it even starts!?

The comments on people who agree with each other are funny as well. As the other Tubridy thread is let's all rip the p out of Tubridy and agree or leave. So this was produced as the alternative.

As the other thread was not really about the show, but a p take on the man. Where the idea is to p take on Mr Tubridy. Non-stop a parody thread.

It has nothing to do with 'safe spaces' one thread seems to be a parody thread, But this thread seemed to be set up with good intentions (if genuine) is already titled like a parody thread.

The original parody thread should be titled 'the rip the p out of Tubridy Parody' or whatever name people prefer.

This new thread should be titled something along the lines of 'Ryan Tubridy serious discussion of the show only.' Which would include positive/negative and non personal attacks on the presenter. And just be left alone for a while at least. As it takes time for the boards culture to change.

For those who want a laugh at Tubridy's expense go to the other thread - linked etc in the OP - In other words the parody thread.

To term this thread 'appreciation' seems like a deliberate trick to appear genuine, but it in the context of the other thread (which is a parody in all but name) it can appear snide. Like a mock fan club.

It looks set up to fail imo. To say look we tried.....

It was the same trick I used to use when I tried to do the dishes badly, and hope I would not get asked again when I was a young fella!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

It looks like this thread was set up to fail deliberately, and there already plots to shut it down before it even starts!?

The comments on people who agree with each other are funny as well. As the other Tubridy thread is let's all rip the p out of Tubridy and agree or leave. So this was produced as the alternative.

As the other thread was not really about the show, but a p take on the man. Where the idea is to p take on Mr Tubridy. Non-stop a parody thread.

It has nothing to do with 'safe spaces' one thread seems to be a parody thread, But this thread seemed to be set up with good intentions (if genuine) . But it is already titled like a parody thread.

The parody thread should be titled the rip the p out of Tubridy Parody. This thread should be titled something along the lines of serious discussion only.

It was the same trick I used to use when I tried to do the dishes badly, and hope I would not get asked again when I was a young fella!

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

If you did your job properly and did less :rolleyes: on the other thread imo. It would not have become the farce it has. Plus there would be no need for two Tubridy threads.

'Serious discussion' in the title of this new thread would imply discussion both positive and negative.

But not extremes of silliness and personal attacks on the presenter which you seem to revel in on the other thread. It became a free for all parody.

Not just a discussion of the show, and reigning in of non discussion of the show posts etc,

That is my honest opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It has nothing to do with 'safe spaces' one thread seems to be a parody thread, But this thread seemed to be set up with good intentions (if genuine) is already titled like a parody thread.

The original parody thread should be titled 'the rip the p out of Tubridy Parody' or whatever name people prefer.

This new thread should be titled something along the lines of 'Ryan Tubridy serious discussion of the show only.' Which would include positive/negative and non personal attacks on the presenter. And just be left alone for a while at least. As it takes time for the boards culture to change.

For those who want a laugh at Tubridy's expense go to the other thread - linked etc in the OP - In other words the parody thread.

To term this thread 'appreciation' seems like a deliberate trick to appear genuine, but it in the context of the other thread (which is a parody in all but name) it can appear snide. Like a mock fan club.

Did the mod not set the thread up well enough for your liking?

Was she supposed to go sticking posters up around Dublin 4 so that Tubridy's fans would hear about it and then show up to chat about his talents?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Any actual words of appreciation for the radio show?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Did the mod not set the thread up well enough for your liking?

Was she supposed to go sticking posters up around Dublin 4 so that Tubridy's fans would hear about it and then show up to chat about his talents?

1) I do not call for such things I call for fairness and actual discussion of the show. Xyz like that bit abc don't like that bit and so on. It has nothing to with where people are from. Plus for the record I am not from D4 nor close to it.

But it speaks volumes of the vibe and vindictives that has being allowed to fester on boards.ie regarding Tubridy and other RTE shows. Some people don't like RTE or the shows which is their right. But when it moves into vindictiveness and nastiness you certainly have to question it. It is personal attack on the presenter rather than the show itself and there are clear agendas to that.

2) A thread Devoid of spitefulness and vindictiveness would be a start. As is very self evident for anyone who reads the other thread. Fine having criticism positive or negative but when it spills over to levels of people criticizing the hosts affectations ad nauseam or a myriad of freebie lists. And drug innuendos you really have to question not only people's agenda but their state of mind. Rinse and repeat yet the same posters who rule the roost there cannot abide the show or the presenter. Yet when the show was on a break over the christmas holidays they missed the parody and p taking of it.
    Again you only have to read the thread.

3) The moderator for that thread has called that thread a 'parody' thread in PM. IMO for any new thread to work it is clear that it is 100% necessary that such a thread, be termed a parody thread officially. I feel the mod knows this and is reluctant to change it as it could upset the parody thread clique. As it seems to be a long established boards culture at this stage.

• Advertisement

Any actual words of appreciation for the radio show?

Again I find the word 'appreciation' in the title by the mode to done in the form of a back handed crititism when taken in the context of Tubridy and boards.ie .

It should simply be entitled the Ryan Tubridy thread with a note stating it is for genuine and serious discussion. Genuine comments and discussion on a show (positive or negative) not one hijacked by posters who feel the need to p take and avidly dish out personal attacks on a presenter

The other thread should clearly be defined as a parody thread so there is distinction. Or else the parody thread should be shut down and restarted and the moderator redline it's parameters.

The latter is unlikely as the other thread is driven by regular constant posters who really enjoy the p take, as it seems does the moderator.

So the easiest answer is to have a Ryan Tubridy discussion thread and a Ryan Tubridy parody thread.

Calling this an 'appreciation thread' is like something a avid poster on the parody thread would come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

^ gorm... If you're calling for discussion of the show, why don't you initiate some?

Or do other posters owe you a certain type of discussion that is to your liking?

what do you think of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

1) I do not call for such things I call for fairness and actual discussion of the show. Xyz like that bit abc don't like that bit and so on. It has nothing to with where people are from. Plus for the record I am not from D4 nor close to it.

But it speaks volumes of the vibe and vindictives that has being allowed to fester on boards.ie regarding Tubridy and other RTE shows. Some people don't like RTE or the shows which is their right. But when it moves into vindictiveness and nastiness you certainly have to question it. It is personal attack on the presenter rather than the show itself and there are clear agendas to that.

2) A thread Devoid of spitefulness and vindictiveness would be a start. As is very self evident for anyone who reads the other thread. Fine having criticism positive or negative but when it spills over to levels of people criticizing the hosts affectations ad nauseam or a myriad of freebie lists. And drug innuendos you really have to question not only people's agenda but their state of mind. Rinse and repeat yet the same posters who rule the roost there cannot abide the show or the presenter. Yet when the show was on a break over the christmas holidays they missed the parody and p taking of it.
    Again you only have to read the thread.

3) The moderator for that thread has called that thread a 'parody' thread in PM. IMO for any new thread to work it is clear that it is 100% necessary that such a thread, be termed a parody thread officially. I feel the mod knows this and is reluctant to change it as it could upset the parody thread clique. As it seems to be a long established boards culture at this stage.
    I don't see anything nice about the Tubmeister in here.

You're going against the spirit of the thread!

This thread has turned to nonsense and I will close it. Should anybody wish to start a discussion thread of one's choice on the Ryan Tubridy Show or any other radio show please feel free to do so, provided of course its purpose is not to troll posters. Otherwise it too will get closed or deleted. A moderator's purpose is not to control the opinions of posters about any individual, but to moderate the language around which it is expressed. There are countries, like Russia & China, where opinions are controlled and maybe any such posters might like to participate in the equivalent discussion boards in those places where people who differ are sent to re-education camps. I think it is very plainly obvious why the Wry Look thread is about and the thread does not require rewording.

Also take careful note that further attempts to backseat moderate will be carded, and I include any PMs in this regard.. By all means I'm open to listening, but not being actually instructed what to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement